It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

700-year-old skeleton's found holding hands.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
From The Washington Post

Archaeologists in England have made a discovery that puts modern love stories to shame: A pair of 700-year-old skeletons holding hands.

University of Leicester archaeologists unearthed the bony pair in the lost chapel of St. Morrell in Leicestershire, according to the university. The site served as a point of pilgrimage in Hallaton during the 14th century and has been the center of a four-year excavation project.

"The main question we find ourselves asking is why were they buried up there? There is a perfectly good church in Hallaton," she said in a statement. "This leads us to wonder if the chapel could have served as some sort of special place of burial at the time."

The man and woman could have been pilgrims, or perhaps the two people weren't allowed to be buried in the main church because they were foreigners, criminals or sick, according to the university.

Just goes to show the idea that "True Love" is not a modern moral ideal.

Beautiful and Haunting at the same time.

edit on 2/2/2015 by DjembeJedi because: edit

edit on 2/2/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Love is timeless. Love is the way we should relate to each other, our planet and to the Cosmos.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Then along comes archeologists that dig them up and separate a 700 year long hand holding.
I hope wherever they are taken that they left holding hands.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Well Said .

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

That's how I want to go when it's time for me to leave this Earth. Holding hands with my mate.

S&F

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Wonderful! Although I am a bit confused. Did someone place them like that after their deaths (bury them that way), or did they die together holding hands. If so, how?

Thanks for sharing this

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TRiPWiRE

That's a great question. The remains on the left look like they were leaning their head on the other's shoulder. I suppose we'll never know how they died.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Love is the only thing that matters to us when you break it down. Ask yourself what really matters and at the end of the day you can justify it with one simple answer.
We chase money and power, to attract more love. We buy fancy things to elevate ourselves above others both for self love and attention of a partner, more love.
We chose to live with purpose to find love of ourselves. If you have no purpose, its hard to find reason to do anything because you do not have self love.
Putting aside our physical needs, food, shelter and the like, and desire to survive, the only reason we wish to survive is for the pleasure and thrill of chasing and accumulating love.

Love is indeed timeless, its simply the most important emotional response we have for without it, we simply have nothing.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

Sometimes life is just beautiful.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
It's heart melting.

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
A pile of dusty bones from two dead human bodies and you're all claiming true love!

If you'd have found them a month after they died would you be saying the same thing?

Haha only kidding - it's a nice story/pic.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The truly weird thing is, I have it on good authority that when they were buried, they were not holding hands.

Kidding aside, someone had to arrange the tableau... unless they died simultaneously already in the grave... and what if it were ironic? Like they hated each other and someone thought it'd be a hoot to join them for eternity.

posted on Feb, 14 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Live together, die together. Here's one I've had for years....

I have it framed on my desk captioned Love in the Time of Bones, and a friend who saw it it and asked, how do you know they didn't die strangling each other?

Here's one that looks more loving than either of these...

Happy Valentines Day.

top topics

join