It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'merica

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
Fair enough. I never really thought of it as being a slur, but one definition of a slur is:

an insinuation or allegation about someone that is likely to insult them or damage their reputation.

So based on that, I have to agree that it is a slur, and I will take more care not to use it.

I'm curious though (as I haven't read the whole thread) is this because someone called you one? If so, did it offend you as a person, or did it offend you because they were misapplying the term American as a derogatory statement?

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Bottom line - it's not cute and it's not hip. it's a slur.
It should be acknowledged as such.

Wait just one sec,

you just said you don't care and its just random internet people but you felt the need to rant about it?

Plus mentioning haters that will come into your thread, I think you are a hater, maybe with just a pinch of hate for the term Merca or what it is you guys from the states call each other.

Is Aussie a derogatory term in your eyes as well? Its just the same, actually there is also the term "skip" used here by other nationalities and aussies alike, Skips are the aussies, Greeks and Italians are W#gs, Come to think of it no one after the age of 18 uses these terms anymore unless they really suffer from immaturity, maybe you are reading too many immature teenagers postings, but to young ones that use these terms do so in a derogatory fashion to start fights and what not with each other.

Like I said to Erik, I thought it was term people from the states created to have a crack a war mongering Republicans,

Actually it just could be a like Aussie,a way to sort of shorten the word and make it slang, but hey every one has different tastes and some words seem make people not care enough to to create a thread to rant about it.

So yes its a slur but also a joke or a crack, if you always take it as a slur or if its always done so which thought it was a joke towards republicans, you know the tough guys always wanting to fight so say it in a mean voice like its coming from their own mouths.

But if it offends you which it doesn't because you don't care, ah this rant has spinning in confusion.

Rant on

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass
I suppose that supposed to mean something? Because someone does something stupid, it's okay to disparage all Americans by bastardizing the word American to describe those people? 'mericans makes a blanket statement that assumes all Americans are dumb ... stereotyping like saying all Mexicans are lazy or all Irish are drunks. It's a slur.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: InhaleExhale
you just said you don't care and its just random internet people but you felt the need to rant about it?

I made a statement for discussion.

I think you are a hater,

I don't care what you think.
And I'm not the topic of the thread.
The term 'merica is .

Is Aussie a derogatory term in your eyes as well?

Don't know ... don't care.
I don't think I've ever used it and I've never thought about it.

So yes its a slur but also a joke or a crack,

Like jokes about how dumb polish people are.
ha ha ... yes .... so funny.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
is this because someone called you one?

No. I've seen it used on face book, other sites, and here. People are using it freely .. but at the same time getting upset when people use other slurs towards other people. I saw the hypocrisy in that so I decided to make a thread discussing it. I wasn't sure of the forum ... I thought about social issues ... but it isn't really one so I figured RANT seemed to be the best place to put it.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
a reply to: Kali74

I've seen people on the political right use the term 'Amerikans' to describe those on the left. That's a sneer and a smear and it should be acknowledged as such.

Those people also now use 'Murica as well.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Ok I see. Well, either way, thanks for bringing it up. I for one will be more careful in the future. I didn't really think about it before and only applied it to the people that I mentioned before not realizing that other Americans would take offence.

link   
So there are only two people offended by the term throughout this whole thread...

Write a thread about the 'n' word and almost everyone would be offended.

Surely that says it all?

link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Any type of slur is bad. Period.

Again: There is NO call for it, NO reason to use it, and NO excuse for it.

I agree, however if its intended to be a slur.

Most of time I have seen it and used it on a few occasions if I have has been a slur towards warmongering which is what I really thought it was, not towards people from the States simply because their nationality but because of their ideology.

It was Germans that created the name Nazi for that ideology was it not, this all I thought this term was/is as well, a term created by people from the states to point out a type of ideology of other Americans or themselves, who created the term?

Maybe I was wrong about it being a slur towards war mongering people of any political belief or following which think is a little immature but acceptable in the world today with all the war mongering going on.

So I apologize if I have ever used the term and offended anyone by using it for the intentions I thought it was meant for.

Now I am jumping back and forth like I said FlyerFan is, I just love my own hypocrisy it gives me great vision to read in between the lines even though I might look like a fool doing so.
edit on 2-2-2015 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

I've read every word of the thread and you're not convincing me its equal to racism.

Never will.

Equivalent;
adjective
equal in value, amount, function, meaning, etc.

No definitely not.

Go and call someone a Murican in one of the many threads that relate to the topic...
Then go into a thread and call someone a SandMonkey...

Let's see which post is removed.

Better yet go to a SteakHouse and congregate and use the term Murican and see a percentage within earshot may tell you that's uncalled for...
Then go into a Lebanese restaurant and use the term SandMonkey and everyone within earshot will react!

Completely invalid comparison bordering on self victimisation.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
A slur, by definition, is not racist. Unless it's a racist slur. Also, being American is not a race.
Just semantics I know, but important to clarify.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I've seen "Amerika" used for a couple of decades. 'Murica seems to have come into being with people making fun of GW Bushes Texas Accent. Critics took it and ran with it.

For some reason it doesn't really bother me, unless someone on ATS is clearly full of hatred towards the country and works it in several times in a single post, in all caps. (So obnoxious, we get your point.) Otherwise, it falls under "sticks and stones" and doesn't really push my buttons.

But of course it's a slur.
edit on 2/2/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Well aware super, I'm refering to equality of the offence being portrayed between the two terms...

One was invented by racists to be racist...

One was invented by (?) and taken by Democrats to lambaste George Bush's Admin & Republicans in general...
It then evolved to mean the uneducated gun advocates/bible bashers or those who feast frequently on Fast Food...

And if people were being intellectually honest about it they'd accept that the uneducated (by choice) are a valid target...
People who are targeted for their skin colour are not.

Like I said on page 1, I agree with the premise, not the comparisons.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just wondering because nobody has brought this up call someone from the U.K a Brit and most would not give a dam
same with Paddy/Taffy/Jock , it is acceptable on a building site or in the bar if used in a fun way .

Would calling someone a Yank be seen as a slur to a American

Thank you for bringing this up FlyersFan as most people outside of America would not give this another thought

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
.. you're not convincing me its equal to racism. Never will.

No kidding. No surprise.

if people were being intellectually honest about it they'd accept that the uneducated (by choice) are a valid target...

WOW ... talk about a subjective statement. 'Intellectually honest' people wouldn't say something like that. 'uneducated by choice'?? As far as many Christians are concerned, Muslims are uneducated by choice. So according to your way of thinking, you are now a valid target for Christians to toss slurs at you.

Get it yet? No, you don't. You already said you never will.
edit on 2/2/2015 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
Would calling someone a Yank be seen as a slur to a American

I've been called a Yankee .. but that's because of being born and raised in New England. It wasn't a bad thing. But as for being called a 'yank' ... I really don't know the full meaning behind the word and I've never heard it said around me so I have no idea ...

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I think the term merica came from George w Bush imitations, and it sadly caught on. How is it derogatory if it is an imitation of a president and not some backwoods gentlemen?
edit on 2-2-2015 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Heh...

I think we have all had a growing process since joining this site, and I have a better understanding of myself since joining, as well as a better understanding of the world, the universe, and so on.

No doubt I have used the term discussed before, but it has been contact with folk that have led me to understand how foolish it is, and that I always could have done better than to resort to such a thing for simplicities sake, or for comedic purposes.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
Agreed on my end. However, if someone tells me that they do not like being called nor hearing about it, I will not say it around them nor other people that it may offend, due to my ignorance of not realizing it's potential to upset.
Thanks!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
I think we have all had a growing process since joining this site, and I have a better understanding of myself since joining, as well as a better understanding of the world, the universe, and so on.

That's probably the best thing about ATS. Posters rub elbows with, and exchange thoughts with, others whom they probably wouldn't have the opportunity to do so with in real life. It can expand thoughts and minds, and bring about greater tolerance and understanding. Well ... that is as long as the posters evolve and don't have closed minds ... the 'you'll never change my mind' type of poster ... those types don't learn. People with open hearts and minds generally grow and change for the better. I hear it all the time on these boards ...

Well, hopefully this conversation has tickled a few brains and made people stop and think about the meanings behind what they say and hopefully it'll get people to examine their own vocabulary usage. (me included).

edit on 2/2/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join