It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'merica

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

What i'm saying is Canuck is less offensive than Ape, one should draw outrage and the other is not really something to bother and in scale of offensiveness mocking USA accent as 'Murica is pretty low and equaling it to really offensive slurs is close to a fallacy.

But felt offended with what you prefer by all means

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Is this going to become one of the words that only persons from the demographic it references can use? Because I have to say, I also have heard this word used most often by Americans, normally either as a jest, or to illuminate the unmitigated idiocy of a particular American, or a certain situation in America.

I rarely, if ever, see it posted by persons from outside America.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

As I said earlier - I put it on the same slur level as these -

'merican = dumb back woods dweller (no matter how smart they are or where they live, everyone is a dumb back woods hick)

towel head, sand monkey = dumb desert dwellers (no matter how smart they are or where they live, everyone is a dumb camel riding idiot)

It's a slur. It's not clever. It's not cute.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit
The Americans that use it remind me of the black folks who use the 'n' word.
I've seen foreigners use it in a slur manner. On social media.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Call me what you want.... water off a duck's back until you actually physically hurt me.

Especially on the internet.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Generally 'Merica is a slur leveled at people who come from middle America who don't tend to embrace the oh-so-enlightened hipster culture of the coasts IME. My cousin is a typical 'Merican. Best guy you'd ever want to meet, never met a stranger and would give you the shirt off his back, but he's a trucker who enjoys his hunting, NASCAR and grilling and believes in God and country.

That makes him 'Merican.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
It's all about perceptions...

& righteous indignation...

Definitely not an absolute.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Definitely not an absolute.

Do you see the irony in your sentence?

You can't see that using the slur 'merican to demean people as stupid or backwoods, is the same as using the slur sand-monkey to demean muslim people as stupid. You really can't see that it's the same?

edit on 2/2/2015 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
That makes him 'Merican.

That makes him an American and not worthy of the intent behind the slur.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Greetings- I have used that term and will continue to use that term and I'll type You why.. My lineage goes back to a Native American peoples on My Mom's side and the first ships on My Dad's. Not only that but am also related to Jefferson Davis of the Confederate States.. Once "THEY" put The U.S. back like 'they' found it then I'll start to use the proper designee and not until then.

It once was "Go to college and get a good job, buy a house and raise a family..." Now, "IF" You get to go to college, when You get out You are in the red, owing $100k+ for student loans. But don't worry the BIG CREDIT Co. are on campus to "help You establish credit, and NO You don't need Your parents signature..."

How about they way "THEY" continue to steal folks lands under the guise of "imminent domain" and a few generations later "they" are using the land to generate more $$$ for "them"..

It also once was "Don't talk about sex, politics™ and/or religion™ and polite conversation awaits..." Until someone thought they were "SPECIAL" enough to be offended...

I will apologize in advance for My offense that is "IF" You ever sit through any of My usual useless drivel but because it is You that is offended then it'll be You that has to tangle with that issue. I try to keep My "power" and that "power" is not to give any energy (+/-) to what another says or does, You'll never change "Them" (Us)...

Have a Better day!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Generally, the slur is leveled at people like him though. It shows a general contempt for a general segment of the population.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
To wit:

"Only a "Ginger" can call a Ginger, Ginger..."

ALL Indians walk single file, at least the ONLY one I knew did....

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I'm an American, and yes, I use the term. I use it when speaking about a specific person or group of persons who are acting like dumb-asses and embarrassing me as an American. It's how I separate myself from the dumb-ass Americans. I could call them hicks or rednecks, but not all hicks and rednecks are dumb-asses. I could call them retarded, but that's an insult to innocent people with mental handicaps.

'Merican, or 'Murican, as I like to say - seems to be the best term for me - so I'll keep using it when I think it applies.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium
I have used that term and will continue to use that term and I'll type You why.. My lineage ...

So what? Enjoy your hatred of innocent people. Good luck with that.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Sand monkey is a racially charged term directed specifically at Arabs & Africans for the colour of their skin...

Murican is not a racially charged term and only encompasses the uneducated who gorge on fast food...

They are both slurs...

But they're not equal in offence by any means.

Having been here over a year, I know for a fact your not only smart enough to understand the difference, I know you're not easily offended either...

So this gripe is confusing imo.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

America, Canadians, Mexicans, Peruvians,

You just blew your own argument out of the water. Those names do show which part we're from. And if you didn't notice, we're the only country that actually says "United States Of America", hence Americans
edit on 2-2-2015 by DAVID64 because: typo

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
They are both slurs...
But they're not equal in offence by any means.

You are welcome to believe that if it makes you feel better for having used it.
It's derogatory and same/same.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
It's how I separate myself from the dumb-ass Americans.

But it really doesn't. It just drags all Americans down to use it.

I'll keep using it when I think it applies.

It's your choice, of course.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Enjoy your hatred of innocent people

Wow you make it sound as we are putting poor Americans in concentration camps

Sowwy americans for eating a letter in america...

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

But you would not be happy to hear that term used by someone from else where? I just want to know so that if this comes up later, I know where the boundaries are!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join