It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

malachi 2:3 - ewwww gross!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
can a christian explain this verse from the Holy Bible

I'm going to punish your descendants. I'm going to spread excrement on your faces, the excrement from your festival sacrifices. You will be discarded with it. - Malachi 2:3

yuck.

edit on 2-2-2015 by rokkuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'm sure there is some deep profound purpose in "spreading excrement" on peoples faces but what is it?

edit on 2-2-2015 by rokkuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: rokkuman

Don't follow the demiurge...

Get S**t on...

sounds about right... history seems to show the same thing

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

The priests weren't following God's word and had brought Babylonian beliefs with them. God was indicating how repulsive he found them by using such words. In those days the feces of the animals were taken outside and burned, they were treated as being filthy and so God was using visual wording to show his distaste in their behaviour.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull

....so if you did not do what God demanded, he would cover you in poo and burn you alive.

Yes, indeed. A kind and loving God!

P

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
because not even the bible is above making doody jokes.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

No. As I explained, it was God's way of expressing how repulsive he found their actions. Maybe it's easier if I use this example, "I'm going to pull my hair out if you don't stop jumping on the sofa".

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ccseagull

okay thanks for the background info.

But still spreading excrement on peoples faces is absolutely gross.

Question:
Are christians concerned about their kids reading the Bible by themselves and coming across such stuff?

Or do they read from a PG-13 version of the Bible? I certainly don't want my kids reading about spreading excrement on peoples faces.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Yes, me me, I can!

The dung of the sacrificed animals was used ritually and had a specific place where it should be put.

"For of the animals [whose] blood is brought by the high priest into the [Holy of] Holies ... bulls, including their dung, outside the camp as sin offerings."

Outside the camp! Outside there will be weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. Jewish people understand this reference and what it implies. The prophet is rebuking THE PRIESTS because of their straying away worshipping false idols, etc. He is telling them that they are for the rubbish heap. It is not meaning human excrement. It does not use the word excrement. It uses the word dung.

Where did you get that quote? Which translation did you use? Is the word "excrement" your propaganda, replacing a word with a word to suggest an alternative meaning and leading others to a false interpretation?

I agree with the Prophet. The human race these days is heading for the dung pile.

Here is a proper translation,

"Because of you I will rebuke your descendants; I will smear on your faces the dung from your festival sacrifices, and you will be carried off with it. "(outside the camp, on the dung pile).

In context,

"A Warning to Priests
…2"If you do not listen, and if you do not take it to heart to give honor to My name," says the LORD of hosts, "then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings; and indeed, I have cursed them already, because you are not taking it to heart. 3"Behold, I am going to rebuke your offspring, and I will spread refuse on your faces, the refuse of your feasts; and you will be taken away with it. 4"Then you will know that I have sent this commandment to you, that My covenant may continue with Levi," says the LORD of hosts.…"

You fail to say that it was a warning to the priests! It is not a message to you or anyone else other than the Levis!

See how easy it is to take things out of context, put a baby word like "Yuck" next to it, with no mature debate or criticism?

You have took a quote totally out of context and tried to smear the dung all over Jewish and Christian people for their beliefs. Though I question who's face the dung is going to end up being splattered on!

edit on 2-2-2015 by lonesomerimbaud because: tidy up.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

I think it's disgusting as well. But people are thick headed and God I suppose needed to get a strong visual to them. I know some hard core Christians - in fact Christians are simply people who have accepted Jesus as their Savior. Hopefully they are acting with Jesus as their role model and reading the Bible to learn more about their belief, history, prophecy and understanding who God is. But in the end they are just people making mistakes and sometimes being rebellious (following their own heart rather than God's).

And so personally, I believe in starting kids off with a simple Bible. For instance the story of the flood, something with pictures and the animals and the general story. As they age their understanding grows and so you explain more. You can't teach a kid to ride a bike before they can even walk - same thing with the Bible.

Even Biblical scholars are still learning. No one human on this earth will ever understand the Bible in its entirety and many things are still being revealed to us by God. So we all have to start somewhere.

Hope that helps

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

Where did you get that quote? Which translation did you use? Is the word "excrement" your propaganda, replacing a word with a word to suggest an alternative meaning and leading others to a false interpretation.

Hi, I copy pasted it from biblehub.com which seems to be a Christian site.
biblehub.com...

Depending on the translation you see words like dung, manure, animal waste, excrement being used. so don't accuse me of "replacing a word with a word to suggest an alternative meaning

Would you prefer the word "dung"? ok. Is spreading "dung" on faces not as gross as spreading "excrement"?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I make no excuses. God isn't lorded over by you or any human. You and I are His creation, whether you or I like it or not. I am very content with the leadership of The Creator and His discipline. Without it I believe we are just wicked little children who don't have a clue what we are doing and get to live very short lives, have to grow old and die. There is no escape. I believe He has us all in His snare like King David said.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Yes I do prefer the word dung. At least now your commentary is more than just an infantile "Yuck".

It is a very hard hitting metaphor. It was meant to be because the priests had grown wicked and were not doing right by Torah. It was God's Way of keeping the priests in check.

Look, you have free will. You don't have to believe this stuff. You don't like it yet feel forced to attack it. Why is that?

If I think something is a lot of crap I leave it alone. I only step in when somebody comes along and childishly tries to smear crap over something I care deeply for. In this life you have choices. You can be anything you want! Don't punish others because they believe differently. In a thread I just wrote about Albert Einstein I attempted to throw back at atheism some of what they have been doing to Christianity and Judaism. It is a game that everybody can play.

Don't mess with what is sacred to me with just a lot of mud slinging. Valid criticism on an intellectual level is great, but all the nasty digs I will fight against and I have a right to when you are dissing what I care about deeply.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:56 AM
link   

You believe that you are his creation etc etc. I respect that.

I have different beliefs. So leave me out of yours please.

I do not want an angry God that goes around killing like there is no tomorrow.

Can you respect my beliefs?

P

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Well, it seems the people were holding some sort of festival that involved dung and their Alien Overlord was none too pleased with it.

I've threatened to smear my childrens poo on their faces too during some of the more stressful moments of toilet training.

We are but those Aliens responsibility.....they are trying to teach us a proper way of living....and we kept rejecting it.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
It's a metaphor meaning he will make them feel as rejected and ashamed "as if" dung had been spread on their faces.
Obviously there is no mechanism for doing it literally.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   

somebody comes along and childishly tries to smear crap over something I care deeply for.

Sorry, but the idea of smearing crap on peoples faces is in YOUR bible. The very concept is most worthy of a "yuck" so don't tell me its "infantile".

Don't mess with what is sacred to me with just a lot of mud slinging. Valid criticism on an intellectual level is great, but all the nasty digs I will fight against and I have a right to when you are dissing what I care about deeply.

I wasn't messing with anything.
I just asked for an explanation regarding the verse about spreading excrement/dung/excrement/faeces/poop/sh*t/doodoo on peoples faces.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
It's a metaphor meaning he will make them feel as rejected and ashamed "as if" dung had been spread on their faces.
Obviously there is no mechanism for doing it literally.

okay but is there any particular reason as to why the metaphor involved animal excrement?

Anybody who threatens to smear dung on peoples face even as a joke would be exposing his own lack of class and decency, right?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
people are going to interpret bible versus however they want too, it reminds me someone once told me that Genesis 9:3 was about weed. i personally don't follow the bible but my brother is a born agian christian.... and he says its about food, grains and plants.

Genesis 9:3
"Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you, as I gave the green plant."
edit on 2-2-2015 by SkyStarOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: rokkuman
okay but is there any particular reason as to why the metaphor involved animal excrement?

Because they would understand it as the worst thing possible and grasp the point that they were being rejected.
This was something written by a different culture, so understanding it involves getting into the mind of a different culture, appreciating how they think and use language.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join