It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas school suspends 9-year-old for making ‘terroristic threats’ with magic ‘Hobbit’ ring

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

How did I miss this today?

I haven't laughed this hard in a long time

Thank you

:-)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

but Steward said that she told him that any and all threats to a child’s safety — including magical ones — would be taken seriously by the school.

I hope they start locking up Christians who threaten children's eternal souls to hell, and promise that magical Jesus is coming back to destroy the planet!

You are predictable. I am sure we will soon have a government that will allow you to act out your fantasies.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

but Steward said that she told him that any and all threats to a child’s safety — including magical ones — would be taken seriously by the school.

I hope they start locking up Christians who threaten children's eternal souls to hell, and promise that magical Jesus is coming back to destroy the planet!

You are predictable. I am sure we will soon have a government that will allow you to act out your fantasies.

I can only hope so. Just like how most states have banned "Conversion Therapy", because it's harmful and abusive, threatening young children with eternal Hell, and taking away their hope for a future by preaching "End Time" doctrine and teaching them to gleefully hope and pray for Jesus' speedy return, in hope of the destruction of the world as we know it, is CHILD ABUSE!

edit on 1-2-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Get out of this country while you still can

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Yet another academic/intellectual failure.

The best and the brightest at it again !!

If we can't trust the "smart" people, who can we trust?

smart people ?.... are we like talking about teachers here ?...you know the people who leave school to go to college and then back to school again....these people whom have never been in the real world and gained real world knowledge....smart people my ass....granted this is not all teachers but it is certainly most of them

on topic...suspended for having an imagination ....pffft ....what a crock of #

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

www.rawstory.com...

A fourth grader in Kermit, Texas was suspended for making “terroristic threats” after allegedly telling a classmate that he had a “magic ring” that could make the boy disappear, the Odessa American reports.

According to Kermit Elementary School officials, 9-year-old Aiden Steward told a classmate that he possessed a magic ring forged in Mount Doom — a fictional location from J.R.R. Tolkien’s Hobbit and Lord of the Rings series.

It's like they don't even care how stupid the authorities make themselves look!

Kermit Elementary Principal Roxanne Greer told the Odessa American that she could not comment on the suspension, because “all student stuff is confidential,” but Steward said that she told him that any and all threats to a child’s safety — including magical ones — would be taken seriously by the school.

Time to run up the flag.....

Just for the heck of it, how would this be different from a child telling another child that God was going to burn him in Hell forever? If the threat instills terror in a child, does it really matter how realistic the threat is if the threatened child believes it and if the one doing the threatening intended to instill terror in his target?

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I literally can't believe it so as of yet, I don't, it's currently impossible to believe this.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Ah yes, West Texas.

If word gets around to Permian High School that this kid has the One Ring of Power, he might wind up with a full transfer and football scholarship to play the Offensive Line. If you think outlying towns have strange policies when it comes to school activities, you might be amazed at the stuff that goes on in the realm of Football out that way. They don't mess around.

Kermit is (or was anyway) one of those tiny little towns that if you blink you'll miss it....makes sense they were absolutely scared out of their wits that the One Ring was found in their district. Poor folks. No water, no trees to speak of, no Wal-Mart and now this Unspeakable Evil from the depths of Mount Doom.

edit on 2/1/15 by GENERAL EYES because: formatting

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

www.rawstory.com...

A fourth grader in Kermit, Texas was suspended for making “terroristic threats” after allegedly telling a classmate that he had a “magic ring” that could make the boy disappear, the Odessa American reports.

According to Kermit Elementary School officials, 9-year-old Aiden Steward told a classmate that he possessed a magic ring forged in Mount Doom — a fictional location from J.R.R. Tolkien’s Hobbit and Lord of the Rings series.

It's like they don't even care how stupid the authorities make themselves look!

Kermit Elementary Principal Roxanne Greer told the Odessa American that she could not comment on the suspension, because “all student stuff is confidential,” but Steward said that she told him that any and all threats to a child’s safety — including magical ones — would be taken seriously by the school.

Time to run up the flag.....

Ummm, both of these books were required reading in Jr. high. HOW did these people not only graduate, but become educators Not having read these books!?!?!?!?!?! I'm stunned. Stunned.

And they take "magical threats" seriously? How can the Teacher, the Principal, ANYBODY there not realize, the ring doesn't make you disappear, it makes you fr**ing invisible for crying out loud! So HOW is that a magical threat! Who DOESN'T want to be invisible? Gracious it's like the gift of gifts! Hell, someone give me the dang ring, so I can go in this woman's office and slap her upside the head when she's not looking! My mind is just BLOWN right now!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

There was a thread posted a few days ago showing how public schools used tasers, leg shackles and handcuffs. It seems are schools are becoming a prison.

One school my daughter went to in NC had a stinking PADDED CELL!!! No lie. It was a school for troubled kids. You know why she was forced to attend? She was autistic and she got scared at a school of a 5000 kids. It freaked her out. This was a smaller school, but it was also a BAD school. Oy! She went from a school of 150 kids in NY to a school of 5000 kids in NC and FREAKED! She hit the teacher once. Even the teacher was ok, but the school expelled her and sent her to basically prison school.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
originally posted by: stosh64

Reminds me of this article I read yesterday.

California-school mind control: grades for “Gratitude”

School is now all about conditioning for obedient little workers.

Across the state, report cards are undergoing a sea change in how students are measured for academic performance. Where teachers once graded students [only] on traditional math or English skills, they now judge attributes such as grit, gratitude or being sensitive to others… Districts are changing their report cards to reflect the new Common Core State Standards…”

Graded on 'grit, gratitude and sensitivity'....REALLY??

In case I need to point this out: a child of eight isn’t naturally gushing gratitude and sensitivity toward others. In schools, these are taught values, and they are now attached to report-card grades. The child is being conditioned to behave in prescribed ways, in order to earn a “gold star.”

It’s all synthetic, artificial. It’s operant conditioning. The baffled clueless child learns to take cues. He learns to speak certain “grateful sensitive” words. He becomes a waddling little duck who’s taught how to quack. They all quack in concert.

jonrappoport.wordpress.com... california-school-mind-control-grades-for-gratitude/

Heaven forbid kids actually have a personality or an original thought.

Just another brick in the wall.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, and feel free to jump in if I am, but isn't that my job as Mom? I thought I was doing a darn good job teaching "Please, Thank You, and all those lovely bits and bobs." Well gee, now I'm thoroughly insulted. Thanks schools!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Oh, crap! I have a "One Ring" that I bought in a geek store! I also have Hogwarts uniform, including a wand! I had no idea I was a terrorist!!! Damn my powerful and threatening imagination!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: Xtrozero
I wonder how long before onion rings will be outlawed at school?..food for thought

They already are at most schools. Michelle Obama took care of it.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   
originally posted by: Xtrozero

Just don't put one on your finger and you will be ok. I have 2 boys ages 14 and 11 and being an older dad I know what school was like in the 60s and 70s. Today it is ridiculous to what schools do these days to protect these young minds, here are a few...

1. Pointing a finger and thumb in the traditional gun mimic is suspension, whether you are trying to or not.

Just to give you a heads up, in some districts, this is an automatic expulsion. Suspension for chewing your poptart into a gun shape, or any other food-like object, drawing an object that can be mistaken for a gun, same with play-doh. It's official of course, we're insane. We're all insane. Just share the madness.

2. Tag is against school rules, too aggressive, and will lead to suspension.
3. No grades until 6th grade. My kids were reading Harry Potter in 3rd grade and with only a "below grade level", "at grade level", "above grade level" scores they both got "at grade level' in everything for 5 years. You know how hard it is to motivate when there is nothing to gain?
4. No scoring in sports until 6th grade....same as above...

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Don't get me started on the 70%+ enrollment in the free lunch program......don't even have to show anyone your income level for fear of being ridiculed or looked down upon.....70% on the free lunch program....there is a system getting abused by all.

....and we are worried about little Timmy playing "Lord of the Rings" in school......seems like the right thing to worry about.....idiots.

My parents had 5 kids in public schools. They filed for free and reduced lunch. You DO have to show income to prove need. Every year, I have to file income reports even though she lives in a group home. so YES, you show need. The group home provides the school her SSI paperwork proving she is not working, nor does she make a lot of money. (She has permission from the county to attend high school until she is 25 because she is special needs. Right now a majority of her classes are life skills such as money and cooking, and job skills she may learn. She will be 20 this yr.) When my parents filed, the county messed up their paperwork. Only I was attending one school, and they had 4 kids in another school, ridiculously I got a free lunch, my brothers and sisters had to pay full lunch for 2 years before the county fixed it to a reduced lunch (25 cents for everybody back then), for everyone one of us. As the oldest, even I thought it was messed up.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I can only hope so. Just like how most states have banned "Conversion Therapy", because it's harmful and abusive, threatening young children with eternal Hell, and taking away their hope for a future by preaching "End Time" doctrine and teaching them to gleefully hope and pray for Jesus' speedy return, in hope of the destruction of the world as we know it, is CHILD ABUSE!

Here's the sad thing. Yes. It existed. Should it have? No. I'm THRILLED it's banned. I'm Christian. Yes, it's child abuse. Now, if you wish to make a thread about it, feel free. However, this is a thread about something else, not about conversion therapy, nor about Christians. It is about a school who took a make believe ring in a book and saw it as a terroristic threat. Please stop trying to jack the thread. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
After reading the thread, analyzing the pro's and cons i have reached the conclusion..

That one doesn't simply walk into Mordor

Q

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

There was a thread posted a few days ago showing how public schools used tasers, leg shackles and handcuffs. It seems are schools are becoming a prison.

One school my daughter went to in NC had a stinking PADDED CELL!!! No lie. It was a school for troubled kids. You know why she was forced to attend? She was autistic and she got scared at a school of a 5000 kids. It freaked her out. This was a smaller school, but it was also a BAD school. Oy! She went from a school of 150 kids in NY to a school of 5000 kids in NC and FREAKED! She hit the teacher once. Even the teacher was ok, but the school expelled her and sent her to basically prison school.

She hit the teacher once. Keep repeating that.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: LukeDAP
Oh, crap! I have a "One Ring" that I bought in a geek store! I also have Hogwarts uniform, including a wand! I had no idea I was a terrorist!!! Damn my powerful and threatening imagination!!!

I want Professor McDonagal's robe. I really do. I'm not even kidding.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
For what it's worth, I traced this article back as far as I could. That led to an article on the Odessa American Online website (a small town Texas paper) which seems to be the origination of this story. I can find no corroboration or verification anywhere. The story has gone viral worldwide. Is the story factually accurate? Did it even happen at all? The complete lack of any second sources may be a clue. I can't say.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join