It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Product Tracking Goes High-Tech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This is an artilce I found online that really confuses me. Now Wal Mart want to put the RIFD (Radio Frequency Identification) on all items you buy. Click Here for the full story. Now I will point out some of the things that I found interesting in this article.

1. Wal-Mart Executive Simon Langford is putting the new system in place at Wal-Marts and Sam's Clubs.

Isn't Wal-Mart apart of the New World Order?

2. Langford says it'll help reduce theft and lower prices.

Can someone tell me how this will lower prices?

3. Langford says the transmitters are worthless once they leave the store.

"We're not interested in tracking anybody," Langford said.

Should we beleive Mr. Langford?

I find it interesting how Mr. Langford said this will reduce theft. Well, how is that possible when he says the transmitters are worthless once they leave the store. The item is considered once it leaves the store.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
your first quote explains why the prices will be lowered. There will be less thefts so much less lost revenue. And as fro Wal-Mart trackng me after I buy my new stereo... let 'em. They know where i live because you have to file an acount with them to buy anything. I would be more scared of t he on-star and lowjack equitment on your car... or cell phones or tv cable boxes...

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
RFIDs will lower costs because of a hopefully large drop in thefts, as mentioned. I wouldn't worry about being tracked; passive RFID tags have a range of about 3 to 20 ft, active ones (more expensive) about 300 ft.

It's the wave of the future. RFIDs were detailed pretty thoroughly last year in WIRED magazine. For an answer to many questions, go here:
www.rfidjournal.com...-How-30815

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I work for Wal-Mart and can tell you for sure, you do not have to file any kind of account to buy from Wal-Mart. You do with Sams Club, but not with regular Wal-Marts, Supercenters, or the Neighborhood Market grocery stores. As Wal-Mart begins to open more Urban Centers, like the one I work at in Tampa, the increased traffic tends to bring in a mix of people, including those that would foolishly risk being caught by our loss prevention for taking a 5$ bracelet or 11$ dvd. You just don't realize the hell Wal-Mart WILL put you through for taking even a little piece of jewelry. It isn't worth it and although some theives are caught, it is a gaurantee that 100$ worth of merchandise minimum is taken from from our stores daily. This new system is the equivalent of making every UPC on a product, including groceries, books, higenic produtcs and even toys, a security device that goes off if it has not been deactivated. I do believe once it has been scanned through at checkout it becomes deactivated on that particular item. I am unsure however if it will be able to become reactivated if the item is returned for any reason whatsoever.

If however, it can be reactivated, it comes to wonder whether it can be done so wirelessly through other devices and if other people may be able to do it to track your consumer behavior. Some speculate that certain manufacturers or companies will use it to track your use of the item and monitor if you need to buy new ones or replenish your food stock, which can then lead to individualized marketing and advertising tactics in order to trigger your mind to say "oh yea I do need to refill on that don't I?"

But seriously, I think that would require uch more budget than the profit it would generate, and not to mention so many hours of surveilance it really is just stupid to think of it. It is theoretically possible to track the signal from everyones cellphone whether they have a GPS reciever or not and monitor where everyone is at all times. Does it mean that someone is doing it? Rediculous I say!

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   

from DYepes
I do believe once it has been scanned through at checkout it becomes deactivated on that particular item. I am unsure however if it will be able to become reactivated if the item is returned for any reason whatsoever.
:
But seriously, I think that would require uch more budget than the profit it would generate, and not to mention so many hours of surveilance it really is just stupid to think of it. It is theoretically possible to track the signal from everyones cellphone whether they have a GPS reciever or not and monitor where everyone is at all times. Does it mean that someone is doing it? Rediculous I say!

You're absolutley correct, from what I've read. The spec calls for the device to be able to be permanently disabled. And the cost of reactivating it is way too high to make it worthwhile.

I don't know how this would affect returns/restocks, though. Any ideas?

top topics

join