It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory on why terrorists do what they do

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
It is often claimed that their religion requires them to conquer and subjugate everybody. This is overly simplistic and a silly reason for them to engage in terror. I believe the real reason has to do with human emotions such as shame, jealousy, anger and cultural pride. Lets take a look:

1. They are all raised on glorious stories of Islamic victories in the past. They know Muslims used to be a force to be reckoned with and that they took over the Middle East in a few decades, defeating everybody who got in their way.

2. They realize that things have been changed of late; they are ashamed of the fact that their countries have lost nearly every war they were involved in in the last few decades.

For example:
Afghanistan... beaten by the Russians, US and NATO.
Iraq.... beaten by the US (twice)
Libya..... beaten by NATO
Pakistan.... beaten by India several times
Egypt/Syria/Jordan/Iraq/Lebanon.....beaten single handedly by Israel

To add insult to injury they realize that the people who have repeatedly defeated them are Christians, Hindus, Jews and Atheists

3. They also hate the fact that the countries that defeated them all have freedom. They are also jealous of the fact that their enemies get to live in free progressive societies where they enjoy freedoms and all the good things in life.

4. They know deep down that they are never going to defeat their enemies in combat and so therefore they resort to random acts of terror to convince themselves that they still have a fight left in them. They probably think "something is better than nothing"

Thoughts?

edit on 1-2-2015 by rokkuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: rokkuman

Wrong on all accounts.

It's really quite simple, the West has been meddling in Middle Eastern countries for centuries now, the last hundred years particularly, and the people there are sick of it.

This was then harnessed by those with terroristic leanings into what we see today.

It has nothing to do with glorious past conquests or jealousy. I'm guessing you're American right? American are the only ones that think these people are "jealous" of their so-called "freedom".
edit on 1/2/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Wrong on all accounts.

It's really quite simple, the West has been meddling in Middle Eastern countries for centuries now, the last hundred years particularly, and the people there are sick of it.

This was then harnessed by those with terroristic leanings into what we see today.

It has nothing to do with glorious past conquests or jealousy. I'm guessing you're American right? American are the only ones that think these people are "jealous" of their so-called "freedom".

Lol...you are funny.

I bet the subjugated female masses of the Mideast don't ever imagine a world where they could you know....have a decent life.... Determine their own future....learn to read....or even drive......or god forbid..... Leave the house solo!!!!!!! Oh my god the horror.... What monster would even suggest such idiocy??!!!!

BTW he isn't wrong on all counts....Iraq was owned twice by America.... And Israel did kick the living dig crap out of the entire mideast at once by themselves... Just saying

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Interesting op, I don't really agree, but I don't wholly disagree either.

Good place to start the dialogue as long as you are willing to move the goal posts a little.

Must have hit close to the mark though to get a hater right off.

I found his outrage to be entertaining.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: infinityorder

Wrong on all accounts.

Lol...you are funny.

I bet the subjugated female masses of the Mideast don't ever imagine a world where they could you know....have a decent life.... Determine their own future....learn to read....or even drive......or god forbid..... Leave the house solo!!!!!!! Oh my god the horror.... What monster would even suggest such idiocy??!!!!

I was talking about the terrorists. They are jealous that their enemies live in free societies. You know... the whole "misery loves company" thing.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   

They are mad we don't treat our females like cattle.

Borat was saying " everyone knows female brain is size if squirrel" just to be funny.

They really act this way.

I don't think anyone from a western country could really relate unless they have seen it first hand.

These folks besides biology are nothing like us.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   

LOL. Outrage? Hater?

As a matter of fact the most emotion I produced was the rolling of my eyes when I saw the inevitable "Jealousy" reason pop it's ignorant head up again.

As for me being an 'outraged hater'? Methinks that is just you attempting to paint me as something I'm not in order to justify your own ignorance on the subject.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   

LOL. Outrage? Hater?

As a matter of fact the most emotion I produced was the rolling of my eyes when I saw the inevitable "Jealousy" reason pop it's ignorant head up again.

As for me being an 'outraged hater'? Methinks that is just you attempting to paint me as something I'm not in order to justify your own ignorance on the subject.

Actually jealousy has a lot to do with it.

If you are a rabid football fan and your team suffers a humiliating defeat to a rival team, what are you going to do? Walk up to a fan of the other team, shake his hands and say "congrats on your victory"?

Its the same principle with these guys. They are sick and tired of constantly losing battles and coming across as washed up has beens.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Calling millions of people "jealous" just because YOU think that they wish that they lived in a better country with more "freedoms" is nothing more than baseless conjecture and sheer arrogance.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Calling millions of people "jealous" just because YOU think that they wish that they lived in a better country with more "freedoms" is nothing more than baseless conjecture and sheer arrogance.

I said our freedoms was just one of the reasons they hate us...but its not the only reason.

The more important reason is that terrorists are humiliated knowing that their countries have all been defeated militarily by their enemies. They know that they don;t stand a real chance of defeating anybody in a war and so they resort to terror.

I'll repeat again

Thats why they are so angry and desperate for a victory of some sort, just to save face.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

This is all I really have left to say on the matter:

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Your theory is dead wrong!

Read up on covert US interventions in the middle east since WW2, and you will understand.
Understand the cooperation between intelligence services in the US, and middle east, especially Mossad.
Learn about how oil has played a major role in the middle east since 1900, and things will be become much more clear.
Here is an excellent docu: youtube link
Be sure to check out the facts! Bots US facts, and non-US facts...

It's way to easy just following the Bush-doctrine.. "they hate us for our freedom" lol, what a joke!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:47 AM
link   

And this is my response to you:

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: rokkuman

Unfortunately, the face palm suits quite well in this case.
Not only is the theory wrong (terrorists terrorize because the Quran tells them to), but your history on countries "getting beaten" is remarkably incorrect.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

You can think what you want, I simply give up trying to convince a clearly blinded American that the Middle Eastern conflicts are not caused by their so-called "jealousy" of freedom, but because they are sick and tired of the West meddling in their affairs - as is evidenced by mountains of freely, and readily available documents to prove said meddling.

The problem here is the concept of "American Exceptionalism" which turns many Americans into mindless sheep bleating the government line endlessly because they are wrongly taught to believe that their country is somehow more 'exceptional' that others. This leads to the inevitable calls of "jealousy" as being the reason for the hostilities and neatly packages the real reasons away for fear that the truth might set them free.

But by all means, keep bleating that "jealousy" line until the cows come home, I, for one, won't be taking any notice of such sheer arrogance and ignorance (except, of course, to call you out on it).

edit on 1/2/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nevertheless

Unfortunately, the face palm suits quite well in this case.
Not only is the theory wrong (terrorists terrorize because the Quran tells them to), but your history on countries "getting beaten" is remarkably incorrect.

the face palm suits you because you seem to think my theory was that they "terrorize because the Quran tells them to". I clearly said otherwise in the OP.

Heres my original statement:

It is often claimed that their religion requires them to conquer and subjugate everybody. This is overly simplistic and a silly reason for them to engage in terror.

As for the countries getting beaten, show me how I am "remarkably incorrect".

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Its pretty simple, stop the mass killlings of civilians in 3rd world countries to pillage there resources.

People need to educate themselve and stop paroting the crap that the major american media puts out there.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
There are actually a number of interesting points that can be made about this. I'm not really qualified to comment in detail, as this isn't my area of expertise (hey I'm an atheist, as far as I'm concerned all religions have massive gaps in logic about them) but there have been a number of interesting books in recent years by authors such as Tariq Ramadan and Irshad Manji that call for an Islamic version of the Reformation, as they claim that many aspects of Islam have been misappropriated, blurred or downright twisted. They have a point - the Reformation had a significant impact on the Western world and led to a shift in attitude on many things, including the nature of temporal and religious authority.
I read a very good book a year or so ago, by an author whose name escapes me, which said that for many Muslims the past two or three centuries make no sense when compared to the past. Islamic nations tended to be richer, more advanced (philosophically, medically and scientifically) than their Christian counterparts 500 years ago. Then all of a sudden the wheels start to dig into the soil and they started to fall behind. The Turkish Empire was repulsed from Vienna. Granada fell. India rallied. All of a sudden the Royal Navy seemed to be everywhere and were even interfering in the slave trade on the East coast of Africa. Enormous Western overseas empires were springing up, but year by year the greatest Muslim empire, that of the Ottomans, was atrophying - slowly at first but then faster and faster. I think that bewilderment is a good way of describing the Islamic reaction to this. The history of the Ottoman Empire from 1683 onwards is one of steady decline, along with corruption and religious conservatism.
Fast forward to today. The Ottoman Empire is long gone, and with it the Caliphate, so there's no Islamic religious leader on the same level as, say, the Pope (and no, those idiots in IS don't count). Where does the urge to reform come from? Can there be reform without a Caliphate, or the equivalent of the College of Cardinals? Does anyone know if there is actually any high-level group of Mullahs who can initiate meaningful theocratic debate about the future of Islam?
One final thought. My mother was a civil servant before she retired and she often used to go about London checking on firms and their account books. She once had a conversation with a Mullah in Ilford who was very pro-British but also depressed. The reason? He told her that there were Mullahs in Pakistan and Afghanistan who were well-known because they had memorised the Koran. The problem was that he said that they were putting their own local interpretations on the teachings in the Koran, which were often best described as parochial and not really relevant to the modern world. They were therefore teaching a radical version of Islam that was at variance to his own thoughts. So - there's your problem.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

It is often claimed that their religion requires them to conquer and subjugate everybody.

"often claimed" ?

What religion do terrorists follow that this is often claimed?

I believe the real reason has to do with human emotions such as shame, jealousy, anger and cultural pride.

I would just say hate and ignorance of their own religion if terrorists claim to be religious people.

1. They are all raised on glorious stories of Islamic victories in the past. They know Muslims used to be a force to be reckoned with and that they took over the Middle East in a few decades, defeating everybody who got in their way.

Are they?

What about terrorists that are atheist or claim to be Christians, Buddhists or whatever other belief they claim they follow?

2. They realize that things have been changed of late; they are ashamed of the fact that their countries have lost nearly every war they were involved in in the last few decades.

Why not title your accordingly, or do you think that terrorists are all from the Middle East?

For example:

Is war like in movies in your head?

No one wins, all loose in war.

To add insult to injury they realize that the people who have repeatedly defeated them are Christians, Hindus, Jews and Atheists

You mean terrorists come from all these beliefs or again are terrorists only people of Muslim faith in your eyes?

Thoughts?

Why couldn't you use an appropriate title that would match your OP, I thought when seeing the title it was going to be about terrorists and terrorism and your thoughts on why terrorists do what they do but it seems to be terrorists from only one region and one belief system.

I think you have no clue on what and why they do but thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I said our freedoms was just one of the reasons they hate us..

No the news said that and has been been saying that for a while, you are just parroting Fox and all the other MSM news.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Could be great many things but i would guess that many of these so called terrorist are like that because they lost their families in any number of attacks in past 10+ years. I cant but think if things were other way around, like ME + other powers would gain serious battle advantages and were inside nato countries, meddling and striking them for long period of time, what ya think would ppl start joining groups to fight back and some of them could be very extreme on their ways perhaps?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join