It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So cops are evil? Sure doesn't look like it from where I'm standing!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: mindseye1609

In most ways the laws are impersonal and it's how they are applied/enforced that causes all the drama. You had your home visit and I got to sit in the back of a squad car. In both situations, the outcomes of law were upheld.

The 'bad apples' should realise that being an asshole with the public is pointless and that laws can be enforced with respect and a smile. I was guilty and you were not and yet both of us come away with a positive experience and lessons learned. Five officers between us and if just one had been a dick we'd be posting different comments.

Respect goes a long way.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It's like anything in life..You need to throw out the extremes and your reality is what lies in the middle.
Not all cops are bad.

Like any profession in the world their are superstars and their are criminal elements.
Those that would do only the right or hard thing and those that would take every short cut.
Those that will abuse the power given them.

The same group of people here that find the 5% stories of police abuse and post them over and over are doing a great service in bringing corruption to light. Hopefully that bad element can be weeded out but like it has been proven with every single other profession ever, human nature is the problem.

The cop haters here seem to only apply "1 person represents everyone " when it comes to cops. Hell just recently a woman on a street near here was arrested for a series of crimes. I hope she gets everything she deserves but that doesn't mean everyone on that street or that she associates with is also a criminal .

In the end, as long as humans fill positions then some of those people will do it right and some will do it wrong regardless of what job they are doing.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I don't think anyone with much of a brain contends that all cops are evil, and I don't feel it's fair to harp on those that do, as if everyone who has a problem with abuse of police power agrees with those fringe opinions.

As a very outspoken person on abuse of police power, I've had plenty of run-ins with them, that never escalated (partly because I know how to manage myself in those situations). I've also had cops flat out lie and threaten me with jail over things that were completely fabricated. It works both ways.

So if your point, here, is to condemn those who say (rather ignorantly) that all cops are bad, then go right ahead. I can agree with you. I don't think it even needs to be said. However, if you're inadvertently lumping all of the people on this website who are outspoken about out of control cops, as if their opinions are somehow negated by a few feel-good stories of the ones that do their job honorably, well, then I think this thread would be part of the problem - not the solution.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Oneiros247

I didn't really have a point, my point I guess is my story. If I wouldn't of shared it how would anyone of known? But they've seen 200 bundy/shot my dog threads. I guess I was just trying to even the scales a little when I saw I had an honest opportunity.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609
a reply to: Oneiros247

I didn't really have a point, my point I guess is my story. If I wouldn't of shared it how would anyone of known? But they've seen 200 bundy/shot my dog threads. I guess I was just trying to even the scales a little when I saw I had an honest opportunity.

I got ya, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I think it's just important that, when defending the police against those who are getting sick of their abuse, to make it clear that you understand that there are many, perfectly legitimate reasons for people to be up in arms about the rampant culture of misconduct in police forces across the nation. It just goes a long way in making your point, because it shows you're not being an extremist who thinks that most or all condemnation of police abuse is by people who are just 'cop haters'. That's all.

*Cheers*

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: learnatic

I don't think the contention is that all cops are.

When people make such claims they are expressing worry and concern about the ever increasing numbers of them or a bad or being encouraged to be or go bad by the laws they are required or permitted to enforce and behavior they are allowed to engage in and fell emboldened to continue engaging in it

Well said, couldn't have said it any better myself.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join