It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Seeks to Limit Health Law’s Tax Troubles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This story claims the Obama Administration is concerned about the massive problems people are facing with their tax returns this year.

For the first time, the Obama.Care penalties are in effect if you didn't have health insurance in 2014.

The 2014 IRS forms necessary are complicated and confusing as usual.

If that's not a big enough boondoggle, now comes the part about subsidies, many of which were "estimated" and people will now have to pay back some of those amounts that were paid directly to insurance companies for premiums.

The article mentions some extra exemptions, but is a little weak on a substantial list.

This is all in addition to the problems many people may have had paying the deductibles if they actually had medical bills last year.

This whole mess is affecting millions of people.

White House Seeks to Limit Health Law’s Tax Troubles

Obama administration officials and other supporters of the Affordable Care Act say they worry that the tax-filing season will generate new anger as uninsured consumers learn that they must pay tax penalties and as many people struggle with complex forms needed to justify tax credits they received in 2014 to pay for health insurance.

The White House has already granted some exemptions and is considering more to avoid a political firestorm.

Mark J. Mazur, the assistant Treasury secretary for tax policy, said up to six million taxpayers would have to “pay a fee this year because they made a choice not to obtain health care coverage that they could have afforded.”

This puts a new meaning to H & R Block.

"Health & Recovery Blocked"

Has Anybody had any Negative Experiences Yet?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Ugh.

I think if I was single I'd just try and meet some foreign chick and emigrate somewhere besides the U.S. while I still have my dashing good looks.

I'm not single though so...I guess I'm going to have to figure out Obamacare. People are going to be the equivalent of enrolled agents after all this.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I love the part about the little grid worksheet and supporting documentation in order to verify everything.

This is because they couldn't get it right when you signed up for it, and if the estimation was wrong ... well, that's no your fault and you owe them.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

I will be paying the penalty this year, but I only have pdf's that I haven't read yet. I will reply Monday with details.

Thanks for posting it helps because I assumed $90 was the amount as originally advertised by Barry in 2009.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

If that's not a big enough boondoggle, now comes the part about subsidies, many of which were "estimated" and people will now have to pay back some of those amounts that were paid directly to insurance companies for premiums.

Hmmm let's see. Taxpayers were promised subsidies paid to the insurance companies by the government using taxpayer dollars, and now those very taxpayers have to pay the government for paying their tax dollars to the insurance companies.

Anyone see anything wrong with that? When did mafia style scams become the governments order of the day? Am I missing something here?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Title 42 USC, Chapter 157, Subchapter VI, §18115

Or short handed as: 42 U.S.C. §18115

No individual, company, business, nonprofit entity, or health insurance issuer offering group or individual health insurance coverage shall be required to participate in any Federal health insurance program created under this Act (or any amendments made by this Act), or in any Federal health insurance program expanded by this Act (or any such amendments), and there shall be no penalty or fine imposed upon any such issuer for choosing not to participate in such programs.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Hopefully, people will take advantage of the exemptions if they need to. Some of them are vague enough to be useful.

Exemptions from the payment

If you don’t have minimum essential coverage, you may qualify for an exemption from the penalty if any of the following apply to you. Learn how to apply for any of these exemptions.

•You’re uninsured for less than 3 months of the year
•The lowest-priced coverage available to you would cost more than 8% of your household income
•You don’t have to file a tax return because your income is too low (Learn about the filing limit (PDF))
•You’re a member of a federally recognized tribe or eligible for services through an Indian Health Services provider
•You’re a member of a recognized health care sharing ministry
•You’re a member of a recognized religious sect with religious objections to insurance, including Social Security and Medicare
•You’re incarcerated (either detained or jailed), and not being held pending disposition of charges
•You’re not lawfully present in the U.S.

www.healthcare.gov...

If any of the following circumstances apply to you, you may qualify for a “hardship” exemption from the penalty:
1.You were homeless
2.You were evicted in the past 6 months or were facing eviction or foreclosure
3.You received a shut-off notice from a utility company
4.You recently experienced domestic violence
5.You recently experienced the death of a close family member
6.You experienced a fire, flood, or other natural or human-caused disaster that caused substantial damage to your property
7.You filed for bankruptcy in the last 6 months
8.You had medical expenses you couldn’t pay in the last 24 months that resulted in substantial debt
9.You experienced unexpected increases in necessary expenses due to caring for an ill, disabled, or aging family member
10.You expect to claim a child as a tax dependent who’s been denied coverage in Medicaid and CHIP, and another person is required by court order to give medical support to the child. In this case, you don't have the pay the penalty for the child.
11.As a result of an eligibility appeals decision, you’re eligible for enrollment in a qualified health plan (QHP) through the Marketplace, lower costs on your monthly premiums, or cost-sharing reductions for a time period when you weren’t enrolled in a QHP through the Marketplace
12.You were determined ineligible for Medicaid because your state didn’t expand eligibility for Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act
13.Your individual insurance plan was cancelled and you believe other Marketplace plans are unaffordable
14.You experienced another hardship in obtaining health insurance

I expect there will be some common exemptions. Here are mine:

#3, true that
#4, (my dog Harley rolled over on me while we were sleeping and scratched my chin then he jumped on my chest forcing me to get up and play with him. I was frightened for my safety so I complied.)
#5, (my favorite gerbil Bennie died, awwwww)
#8, yup
#12 - true that

Guess I'm uhhh covered!

edit on 31-1-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Given the changes in the cost and deductibles under most plans, that's going to go up a lot because a lot of people are simply going to be paying out of pocket for everything.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
So now if you quit or lose your job and you take too long (3 mos) to find another that has benefits the government will penalize you?

Is a far cry from single payer, still feels like a gigantic gift to the corporations.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
So now if you quit or lose your job and you take too long (3 mos) to find another that has benefits the government will penalize you?

Is a far cry from single payer, still feels like a gigantic gift to the corporations.

In the short term yes, in the long term it forces an unsustainable business model. They took the pay off and are eventually pawning us all off on the government's tender mercies. Don't worry. You'll get your single payer. Good and hard.

And you'll drag all the rest of us down with you.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology

Ugh.

I think if I was single I'd just try and meet some foreign chick and emigrate somewhere besides the U.S. while I still have my dashing good looks.

I'm not single though so...I guess I'm going to have to figure out Obamacare. People are going to be the equivalent of enrolled agents after all this.

Luckily I married a Filipina, and the Philippines loves Americans.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Just to expand a little more I will dig into 26 USC §5000A wherein the "tax penalties" for "failure to maintain minimum essential coverage" are held.

But first:

When reading code there is a maxim of law and of statutory construction that one must always keep in the fore front of their mind: "That which is not expressly stated is omitted by implication." This RULE has been and always will always be upheld by the SCOTUS. Meese v. Keen is a prime example.

The other IMPORTANT aspect to remember is that only 27 of the 52 titles in the USC are codified as positive law. Meaning only 27 titles are applicable to the general populace because they have implementing regulations published in the federal register. I will note here that title 26 Internal Revenue Code and title 42 Public welfare are not codified as positive law and implementing regulations have not been published in the federal register. The only persons to whom these titles are "Law" are the following: 1) Federal employees, 2) Military, 3) Federal agencies, and 4) Benefit recipients. Please reference 5 USC §553 (a) and 44 USC §1505(a).

So, digging into 26 USC §5000A, and more specifically 26 USC §5000A(f)

(f)(1)(A) - Government programs
(f)(1)(B) - See the definition at (f)(2)
(f)(1)(C) - Plans offered by Government sponsored State Exchanges
(f)(1)(D) - Previous Government plans that meet the "minimum"
(f)(1)(E) - Risk benefit pools are just another State/Government sponsored exchange for the "uninsurable"

(f)(2)(A) - again, a Government Plan
(f)(2)(B) - again, plans on a Government sponsored State Exchange

I see no provisions for a penalty to be assessed on a private human being who exercises their right to not associate with a Government insurance program (franchise).

edit on 31-1-2015 by J.B. Aloha because: Nit noids

edit on 31-1-2015 by J.B. Aloha because: More nit noids and a typo

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

So...just get your gf to punch you in the face and go to the E.R.?

Sounds legit.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You seem to have mis-read, I thought the current president platformed on a national single payer health system. I certainly never implied which way I voted or what healthcare framework I believe is best. But infer away...

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Most nations you would care to move to have socialized health care, you know. grantedthey handle it much better than the United States is doing... but part of that is because of reactionary politics resulting in an American refusal to accept someone has one-upped us, and so our government decided to reinvint the wheel on health care.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
10 years behind a tax desk, 5 in "retirement". I'm SO glad to not have to deal with taxes this year - beyond my own & my families.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TheTengriist

More like an ingrained distrust of government running anything that is so important to our lives and being the only arbiter of that.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
LOL....I got two form 1095a....two different account numbers.....two different coverage dates.....so, how are they going to explain to me I had two different insurance policies....I foresee hours and hours on the phone....with .gov and my incompetent insurer.
One is correct...the other o.O

I always thought .gov was totally incompetent....until I tried to make a correction with the insurer....

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
You are exempt from penalties if...

You’re a member of a recognized religious sect with religious objections to insurance, including Social Security and Medicare.

Get religion people. Join a recognized sect today!

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   

This is all about control. The sheep who supported this mess are about to wake up. It will be interesting to see. If you work to support yourself and supported this crap take a good hard look.

It reminds me of habitat for humanity.......Give to people who will not take care of themselves. The people who are failing in life should do just that.....Fail. And than pick themselves off and work like the rest of us.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join