It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mar's Sheilding Moons... Tarraforming mars...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
How much magnetic force is needed to block solar winds?

As of right now solar winds are striping the air off mars at like 100 tons a day. So how powerful of magnetic force would be needed to stop the solar winds form stripping the world?

My idea is move large iron asteroids into orbit around mars. More or less give it more moons in orbits that keep it between the sun and mars. We start small set in orbit over our mars base Now cover the other side with solar panels and put a nuclear plant on the mars side then wire the hole thing into a giant electro magnet. So more or less we have a 50 mile wide electro magnet floating above the mars base how big of area would the magnetic field protect from radiation on the surface of mars? if the solar panels are not working out you could always use them to gather light to a single center point then focus that on the surface of mars heating it.

They say some asteroids up there are 95% iron I think you could magnetize them easy enough lets say after 30 years of putting Shield moon's in to orbit, all with nuke power or fusion power. If you could get it right and set it up so that all the wind hits the shield it will follow the magnetic field and deflect its partials. So as the wind that would normally hit the edge of the mars where it blows off the top layers of the air. would now being pulled into mars directly. keeping it from striping mars and might even help build up the air pressure some because it would deposit charged partials made up of Hydrogen and Helium along with other gas's

To fully shield Mars you would need around 24-32 such shielding moons in geo orbit if you could get it so that they would always be on the sun side you could cut the number down to 7 But for basic shielding you could go with as few as 6 units might help with air loss a little but it would shield mars from radiation.

With the air no longer being sucked away that would open the door to tarraforming. By either building CO2 factories or crashing tons of comets into mars. Now if we could Refine Iron in orbit we could make it vastly more effective.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
boy the guy talking about mars being the deathstar got more comments then me hehe.....

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Thats a very interesting concept, maybe in a century we'll have the technology to do this.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadarlocoth
boy the guy talking about mars being the deathstar got more comments then me hehe.....

lol, where's this thread, rofl, really?

It is a vary good concept though, but how are we to track and redirect 30 asteroids? That would be a hard task, we'd need alot of technology which we don't have yet..

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well If we can hook drive units to big floating Iron rocks, then I think we can with our current level of tech, Unless the rock is spinning oddly. Would Need targets with slow or no spin on them for easy docking. Next for a way to move them. I would have to say Super sized version of a Ion drive. Have a nuke reactor As the power supply the reactor later could be used to power the electro mag's once its in orbit.

The unit would be made of 3 sections. First would be the landing legs that mount to the Target similar to the moon Landers but have large screws on each pad to tap into the rock also as it closed on target it would launch 6 harpoons to the target to help hold it in place and to help with landing. after the feet are secure then a High power co2 laser mounted on the on center of the bottom of the craft with a refracting arm that can spin on the bottom of the craft so that it can project laser light to any point under the craft. then it burns 6 holes as deep as the main stage is tall then. something looking similar to drywall screws are lowered into the holes the laser made. Then they are expanded to give a rock hard grip to the Target.

The next part is the main body that holds the nuke/fusion reactor + guidance and radar all the tech stuff that keeps the unit on track. Then there is a is a seal that works like Tank turrent. attacked to the top is a fuel storage or radar/ imaging equipment. Then attacked to sides are the main ion drives. This would let the drives face any direction. This also lets the unit slow down any rotating speed the target might have after attaching.

similar to the turrent here to give you a idea on how it would work.

The units would not be small at all we are talking about the size of a Saturn 5 first stage booster at a minimum would odds are take 3 to 5 of these per Target to get them moving.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by shadarlocoth]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Thats the way it is around here at times. It is what it is.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

..... Unless the rock is spinning oddly.
..... Would Need targets with slow or no spin on them for easy docking.

The units would not be small at all we are talking about the size of a Saturn 5 first stage booster at a minimum would odds are take 3 to 5 of these per Target to get them moving.

yes, for starters....but then,
isn't there a physics thing....about rapidly spinning orbs,
which because of the rapid spin distorts time-space??

all you need is to get them mini-moons 'round' after a fashion,
then the 'spin/rotation' once started will continue for a long time
[i talking about at a minimum of 1 rotation per second]

these fast spinning moons/spheres can then be moved with ease
like maybe with your ion or plazma jets directed at them?(like blowing at a marble)

--->i think along the lines that instead of trying to PROPELL a craft
toward the speed-of-light.....Why Not just 'STOP' & let the Galaxy momentum
bring you to a far distant place ...then switch back to 'GO', Viola,
your at AlphaCenturi at the speed of 'red-shift'!!

new topics

top topics

join