It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA forced to deny UFO claims after UFO spotted orbiting asteroid

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Maybe it was a moon, maybe it wasn't. Even if it was a UFO, as long as we can't get a clear sharp detailed picture of a strange craft, NASA will use any kind of astronomical phenomenon to explain it. Than again, if we can get a detailed picture of a strange craft, the military will jump in and claim it's some top secret craft they've been testing.

Unless we have a landed craft with aliens greeting multiple witnesses, NASA and the military are in control of denying and swaying public opinion. This secret won't be let out of the bag until their backs are against the wall and they can no longer deny their existence.

I would definitely not want to be in their shoes once the public gets overwhelming proof of a cover-up. To keep something of this magnitude from the people of the world, will only cause huge distrust and backlash against governments from people around the world. Who could ever believe and put their trust in government again?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The images are not actual visible light pictures.

They were produced from radar data. As such, it will not look like an image taken with a camera (think of sonar images that are formed from data of sound waves).

As such, there will not be any shadows, only areas where the radar did not receive a return.

A moon is normally a body that orbits around a planetary body.

A satellite is normally what is used to describe a body (natural or artificial) that orbits another body.

The object orbiting the asteroid would normally be described as a "satellite" of the asteroid, not a moon.

As for being able to orbit it: Anything that has mass, has gravitational pull. The amount of that pull will depend upon the mass of the object, and the distance from that object.

Given the correct velocity around a body, it is possible for an object of lesser mass to orbit the object of greater mass.

In other words: It's possible to have a small marble orbit around a bottle of soda.

It may not have been "captured" as in it was passing by and the asteroid captured it (all though that is possible if it was passing at a slow enough velocity), it may have been ejected off the asteroid itself from an impact at the right angle and velocity to put it into orbit.

Seriously, I don't know how anyone is surprised that this can work.

Check it out:

The Dawn space craft was sent out and went into orbit around Vesta, an asteroid, because it slowed down enough so that when it got to a certain point, it was captured by Vesta's weak gravity.

Rosetta is currently in orbit around a comet.

It is possible to do this as long as the object that is going to orbit has less mass than the object that it is going to orbit and as long as it's velocity is not too great or too slow.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011
This object is keeping itself steady, flying like a ship would in space".

Funny enough, it may not be tumbling, but it does look like it is spinning around its vertical axis.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Thanks , should have read the OP story better.. But why does is lit up more then the asteroid does ? Can the composition of iron change the outcome of a radar image ?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

I was wondering that too, we have 2 rocks near each other floating through space, 1 rock is reflecting a lot of light and is very bright the other rock next to it isn`t reflecting much light.
maybe I`m missing something but I would think that they should be reflecting about the same amount of light if they are made of the same material and in the same place.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: fedupkid
No matter how long a lie is sustained, truth will someday prevail.

Quite true.

The truth that this could be just a "moon" (or natural satellite) of that asteroid will prevail over the conspiracy theorists and their ignorance of the natural world around them, and even (in some cases) their outright lies.

edit on 1/31/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud
a reply to: bhornbuckle75

Thank you very much for the info.

The footage of this asteroid sure does look weird. Amazing that even these smaller bodies have enough gravity to attract and capture other objects. Shows just how much matter in Space is drawn together. I'd like to learn more about the way that stars and planets are formed.

One thing we do know is that gravity is the driving force in our universe that keeps the systems in harmony. There is so much I do not understand. It appears our moon is moving away from us. How can this be if the mass and gravity of the earth are not changing?

I feel pretty dumb about it all, but I do read about it and slowly getting more of an understanding.

Both the Earth and Moon are gaining mass at a few thousand tonnes each year. So as the each object gains mass the momentum of both bodies also increases.The force exerted by each object on the other also increases as it is proportional to the mass of both objects divided by distance squared, so the "gravity well" of both objects is also getting deeper. The only way these forces can be balanced is for both the orbital distance (further) and orbital period (slower) to increase, since kinetic energy is given by mass x velocity squared.

That brings in Keplers third law of motion which states that the orbital period (T) and orbital radius (R) of all planets are related by the equation T^2 / R^3 = 1

www.physicsclassroom.com...

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell
No.

The radius of the Moon's orbit is increasing because of tidal effects.

Because of tides, the Moon creates a dragging effect on Earth's rotation. It is slowing the Earths rate of rotation. This means that it is "stealing" angular momentum from Earth. The Earth is "pulling" the Moon, increasing its orbital velocity. It is converting that rotational momentum into orbital velocity. The power "stolen" from Earth moves the Moon to a higher orbit.

If the Solar System lasts long enough (it won't), the end result would be the Moon at a higher orbit and a day on Earth lasting a month (which will also be longer). Just as the Moon rotates at the same rate it orbits the Earth, eventually the Earth will do the same. Just as the Moon is tidally locked to Earth, so will the Earth be to the Moon. But it won't, because the Sun will turn into a red giant before that happens and probably swallow both the Earth and Moon.
www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu...

That brings in Keplers third law of motion which states that the orbital period (T) and orbital radius (R) of all planets are related by the equation T^2 / R^3 = 1
I don't see an m in there.

edit on 1/31/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus
This is what I could find about the backscatter of radar surfaces ..

Radar waves impinging on a surface scatter from the surface and near-surface material. Very smooth surfaces scatter the radar in a mirrorlike reflection often called "specular reflection." Rougher surfaces cause more of the radar energy to be scattered randomly. For a smooth surface the resulting image tone would be black. With increasing roughness, more energy is scattered back to the antenna, resulting in lighter image tones for rougher surfaces.

If I read this correctly the object should be very rough.. If it was triangular it would be dark because of the smoothness IMO ?

edit on 0b46America/ChicagoSat, 31 Jan 2015 16:51:46 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 31 Jan 2015 16:51:46 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Okay...finally my computer is running much better....used Spybot S&D and now am able to get back on track...not sure what happened there.

So I remember highlighting the name "Streetcap1" in my second post in thread.

I also remember someone posting in another thread of mine that this character is under a list of known hoaxers...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That being said...I wonder if this story is a hoax regardless of what NASA says or not. That it is a fabricated story from the get go and streetcap1 actually photoshopped this aircraft image floating around the asteroid?

Do you think that might be possible?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I really don't care which way this argument goes, but I have a point to add knowing how gov't/science "protects" us from factual info sometimes as it has done for decades about Phobos the Mars' moon.

Several or many asteroids having tiny moons does not necessarily mean that they all are natural occurrences. Orbiting a sensor station away from the main body is an excellent way to command the area. How many of earth's satellites could be called natural if one denied any could be intelligently placed? And while it and the other little moon may well be natural little bodies, that does not necessarily negate the possibility that they were placed in such positions.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

The Moon is real as is the video where the fakeness comes in is the claim that NASA were forced to deny UFO claims or that the object is a UFO , all NASA has said is what it is not what it isn't.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

NASA forced to deny UFO claims after 'alien spacecraft' is spotted orbiting asteroid
www.irishmirror.ie...
January 31, 2015

Sky-watchers are in no doubt that it does, saying the picture of asteroid 2004 BL86 taken by NASA's Deep Space Network clearly shows a diamond-shaped craft.

However, the space agency has offered a more rational explanation, revealing that the asteroid had its own moon - something they say is extremely common.

A NASA spokesman said: "In the near-Earth population, about 16% of asteroids that are about 655 feet or larger are a binary (the primary asteroid with a smaller asteroid moon orbiting it) or even triple systems (two moons)."

Website UFO Sightings Daily wrote: "This asteroid has a UFO flying in orbit around it. We can see from the detailed photo that the craft is diamond shaped and flat.

"NASA of course goes on to say that this flat object which does not flip over end is a moon.

"Any moon this thin would be tumbling end over end. This object is keeping itself steady, flying like a ship would in space".

UFO "Sky watchers" need to go back and study Newton's 3rd Law of Motion before making UFO claims about natural bodies in space. They'd also do well to study astronomy so as not to look foolish with stories like this.

Why does it seem most of the people making these UFO claims of natural stuff are ignorant of astronomy in general and failed (or didn't even take) basic physics?
edit on 31-1-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud
a reply to: bhornbuckle75

Thank you very much for the info.

The footage of this asteroid sure does look weird. Amazing that even these smaller bodies have enough gravity to attract and capture other objects. Shows just how much matter in Space is drawn together. I'd like to learn more about the way that stars and planets are formed.

One thing we do know is that gravity is the driving force in our universe that keeps the systems in harmony. There is so much I do not understand. It appears our moon is moving away from us. How can this be if the mass and gravity of the earth are not changing?

I feel pretty dumb about it all, but I do read about it and slowly getting more of an understanding.

There are some good sites to learn basic astronomy and physics for free.

Also there are some interesting podcasts like AstronomyCast podcast and Planetary Radio podcast which you should subscribe to.

As for a beautiful book which has answers to many of your questions I highly recommend:

The Handy Astronomy Answer Book (The Handy Answer Book Series) (Third Edition)

I encourage you to check it out and if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a U2U.

And yes, small objects have gravity. Every object has gravity. You and I do as well.

If we were frozen, dead in zero-g and say, a finger nail broke off and did not exceed the escape velocity of our body, it would orbit us.

edit on 31-1-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Maybe it was a moon, maybe it wasn't.

There is no maybe. It was a moon.

There is no need to believe it was anything other than a moon just like there was no reason for people to believe the comet Hale-Bopp had an alien ship following it because a piece broke off.

We all know how that ended.... Google Heaven's Gate if if you don't.

And such is the extreme outcome of irrational beliefs not supported by observational evidence.

In science the first place we go when faced with a mystery is not OMG ALIENZ! It's nature. The only way anyone would go "OMG ALIENZ!" is when every NATURAL explanation is ruled out.

In this case it is not even a mystery to anyone with even a modest interest in astronomy. We know asteroids and other small bodies have moons and have known this since the early 1990s when technology became sensitive enough to see/detect them.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
a reply to: Phage

Thanks , should have read the OP story better.. But why does is lit up more then the asteroid does ? Can the composition of iron change the outcome of a radar image ?

I missed that post.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Great catch by Streetcap1 of YouTube.'

Very sick of people like known UFO hoaxer Streetcap1 and UFO Sightings Daily taking advantage of mostly Americans scientific illiteracy and conspiracy theory-proness to make a buck off of bunk.

Serious UFO researchers should drive these people out of their ranks as they do nothing but make a mockery of the subject and make it that much harder for the serious scientific investigation of it to take place. After all who wants to associate with known hoaxers, liars, cheats and such.

They are lying to people about things which they may not understand because it makes them money. And because they have a need to believe they will eat it up and click on a video enriching Streetcap1 and other con artists.

Develop a critical mind and learn a little something about the things which you don't understand from CREDIBLE people based on REAL science not nonsense.

It is never too late.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
Logically I have a hard time grasping how the object seemed to have ejected or came into orbit of this asteroid? I mean with such low gravitational force ..

Because the small moons speed didn't exceed the escape velocity of the asteroid when it broke off. If you were frozen dead in space and a fingernail separated from your body it would orbit you if it didn't exceed your body's escape velocity.

The other thing I find strange is why does the object orbiting that asteroid do not cast any shadow and seems to be completely bright?

Because those images were not taken with a camera using light but with radio waves using radar. It's called radar astronomy.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
a reply to: 0bserver1

I was wondering that too, we have 2 rocks near each other floating through space, 1 rock is reflecting a lot of light and is very bright the other rock next to it isn`t reflecting much light.
maybe I`m missing something but I would think that they should be reflecting about the same amount of light if they are made of the same material and in the same place.

It's not optical light. It's RADIO LIGHT. So radio waves used in radar imaging like this tend to reflect better from some materials than others. Perhaps it was higher in denser material on average overall compared to the asteroid. The denser the object the brighter it will be to radar.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join