It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

I gave up diet soda for a week

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 12:06 AM
a reply to: ChiefD

As someone who has drank at least 2 litres of diet soda every day for the last 12 years, I have a very hard time believing aspartame causes any negative side effects. I know the phosphoric acid will eventually do my kidneys in but I experience zero of these 'aspartame side effects'

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 12:09 AM
I have a true sweet tooth and am really addicted to soda and sweet tea...I also recently (in the last week) found out I have diabetes and possible kidney damage...
I tried to quit soda but felt HORRIBLE and had headaches...could have just been the caffeine but I don't know. I am intrigued to try it out, I also want to try vegetarian for a month and see how I feel.
I've also had migraines and headaches since I was a kid

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 12:19 AM

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

As someone who has drank at least 2 litres of diet soda every day for the last 12 years, I have a very hard time believing aspartame causes any negative side effects. I know the phosphoric acid will eventually do my kidneys in but I experience zero of these 'aspartame side effects'

it is not an if but a when....good luck with your long term health you will need it

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 01:36 AM
My name is Dark Ghost and I have been a Pepsi Max addict for the last 10 years. Every time I try to go cold turkey, I end up with bad withdrawal symptoms. Every time I try to limit the amount of soft drinks per day I end up failing.

I really wish I had your discipline and mental strength. I am sure I will pay one day for my diet and run into a series of health problems when I age.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 02:05 AM
a reply to: intrptr

This guy is right

Don't overdo on water

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 03:01 AM

originally posted by: ChiefD
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have not drank any soda in a week. Regular non diet soda mostly has high fructose corn syrup, which is another horrible thing to put in your body.

I like my coffee, and only use stevia to sweeten it.

Yes, additives are not good. Since my hubby had quadruple bypass heart surgery, I've been focused on cooking from scratch with veggies to make things healthier.

I'm going to go another week. I do these things in baby steps, as that is what works best for me. I can't say I won't ever have soda again, but I hope it will be few and far between.

I really like that I have less arthritis pain.

Great attitude, that is the best way to make a lifestyle or diet change!

Keep it up.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 03:11 AM

Aspartame ruined my life. I drank Diet Coke pretty much every day almost since it came out. After 20 years, I came down with hyperthyroid. I did some googling and found links with aspartame.

Unfortunately I had no insurance at the time, and I didn't go to the doctor and get diagnosed until I was nearly dead.

I was finally losing weight — all those years drinking diet soda finally worked, but not in a good way. Despite eating constantly, I lost about a pound a day, 80 altogether. My thyroid was in overdrive. I couldn't sleep more than 2-3 hours per night, if I could even fall asleep over the sound of my beating heart, over 100 bpm resting. I was hungry constantly, and it was an all-consuming hunger, where I was nauseous and shaky like a Parkinson's patient if I didn't eat. My body began consuming itself when I couldn't feed it, and I soon developed osteoporosis. And weak? I could not lift myself out of a chair, go up a step, or lift myself if I got down on the floor, without help. I walked like a little old lady; I'll never forget when an old man tottering with a cane passed me. My skin turned scaly and dry and my hair turned gray(er) and unmanageable. My nails began tearing and I had band-aids on my fingertips since they were going below the quick. There was hardly a bodily function that was unaffected.

The worst part, though, was my eyes. They were so sensitive to light, I had to drive covering my eyes and peeping out through my fingers. Still I felt searing pain like a hot poker. I developed double vision, which made it scary to drive as I could barely make sense of all the lines in the road. My eyes were being pushed forward by gunk building up behind them, a mass of hormones and fat and stuff. There is a characteristic frog-eyed look to people with hyperthyroid or Grave's disease.

The weight loss was another reason I resisted going to a doctor. I knew I had all these problems but never realised they were all related, stupid tho it may sound. When my eyes got even worse, I finally had insurance and got medicine. I had two operations on my eyes, actually the upper and lower lids not the eyeball. I still have trouble looking to the side; my eyes don't move together. Despite my endocrinologist's fervent wish to radiate my thyroid and kill it, requiring me to go on synthetic hormones the rest of my life, I resisted and in fact quickly stabilised my thyroid to the point that I no longer take medication at all. Oh and I gave up aspartame and most artificial sweeteners.

I now drink either water, ice tea, coffee, or club soda. I do like the kick of carbonation. I should probably stick to plain water.

I unfortunately gained back every pound and although I've been in remission for several years now, I'm not back to 100%. The crazy thing was that while hyperthyroid "ages" you, the medicine had the opposite effect, and my skin became soft and practically hairless. It eventually brings on its own negative side effects but by that time, I was able to go off it completely. So now I warn people addicted to diet sodas, stay away!
edit on 2/1/2015 by lindalinda because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/1/2015 by lindalinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 03:38 AM
Never refer to deleterious afflictions in the possessive.

You said "I love my diet Pepsi™".

Your diet Pepsi™!

Persons do this all the time when describing afflictions. My cancer. My diabetes. My Alzheimers. My HIV™ hoax. My ebola. My dementia and if you want the big ones you'll have to consult with s0fi, who is expert on afflictions. One night, as the ebola fad was petering out, a buried thread on the medical condition FMD re-appeared, saying that over 90% of everyone has this, and is dying from it. Finally I understood why there are in this world hands, that, if they come together, one of them explodes and takes the whole body with it.

Today, I missed my caffeine. I only got sick once. I am low on all of my staples, and missing caffeine was the worst!
I solved the withdrawals by running water through old grounds, something I have never, up to this evening, considered.
Thankfully, it is working.

I should like to have control over what I need each day. Food I can skip for weeks. Caffeine, about 36 hours and I am curled up like an opiate fiend. You really need to let go of the soda. This stuff is corrosive, and delivers 45 grams of sugar, or in your case, rat poison equivalent, to your bloodstream with each can. It's something you feed your mom if you want her to die.

# 355
edit on 1-2-2015 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:37 AM
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Of course you will have withdrawal symptoms, the caffeine alone causes that not to mention the chemicals and other 'ingredients' they put in there. So go thru the withdrawal, and come out the other side. I never drank coffee, so Pepsi was my caffeine hit (all day every day for 35 years, duh, like a chicken sitting on a railroad track worrying about the sky falling and not hearing the train a chuggin' along). Withdrawal is your friend, that's what you want! So your friend might give you a kick in the butt and an Indian burn for a few days, friends do that from time to time. Then they take you out for a good Indian buffet and all is mango juice and blue skies.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:40 AM
I just realized I'm a Coke-a-holic! While I don't have it in the house I was just at my friend's last night and she had a 2 liter Coke in the fridge and offered me some. I'm proud of myself for turning her down but, I have to tell you, all I thought about the whole evening was how much I wanted some, LOL.

Anyone know how long this feeling lasts?

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 09:58 AM
I suffer with Migraines with Aura (usually a 1-3 times a month) and drank diet drinks quite a bit (not too much... but I did)

I stopped them and didn't have a migraine for 10 weeks. I've had one or 2 since (because it's in my genetic make up unfortunately) but it's funny how the minute I stopped diet drinks I had no migraine for 10 weeks. Call it a coincidence but... I know it isn't good for you. I'd rather drink full sugar soda and just not drink it as often (a rarity anyway for me)

I usually have a tiny amount of diluted fruit juice (1/4 of what is recommended on the bottle) to give my water a little flavour. 1/4 of the sugar it recommends and makes water a bit nicer haha

PS - I had no withdrawal symptoms. I get sick of water though... but it's the healthy choice!!
edit on 1-2-2015 by MrConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:07 AM
I used to be a diet Mountain Dew addict. For awhile I was buying the 2 liter bottle and drinking it all during the work day. For awhile I was OK but then my knees started to fail. Hearing about the link between Aspartame and joint problems somewhere I decided to kick the Mt. Dew habit to see if it would help. About a week after I stopped it I realized my knees were improving. Been off it for about a year now and while not perfect they are much better.

So yeah, Diet pop is a killer.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:28 AM
Good For you! I never drink soda or diet soda but when If i do I immediately get strong headaches and I never get headaches! I actually drink Yerba Mate tea 2-3 times a day. I invite you to check out this tea. It will do wonders for your health.

I think one of the most righteous things you can do in our culture is to be responsible for your digestive system and only eat/drink healthy. I have met people who claim they are the "mannest man youl ever meet" but truly weren't physically healthy and didn't maintain complete control over their diet.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 10:59 AM
I have up soda 4 years ago and never looked back. The first year alone I lost 20 lbs and my migrane headaches went away. Be careful though sometimes you compensate for that extra sugar in other forms. But good for you congrats!

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 02:53 PM

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: butcherguy

Me either.

Besides, studies have shown that sweet is sweet - whether it's real or fake - your brain proceses it the same and activates your hormones accordingly.

Calories are one thing, hormones are an entirely different matter and way more troublesome.

I assume when you mention hormones, you primary mean insulin. Aspartame doesn't spike insulin (or other hormones). Read about the other sweeteners here: . A quote from the article:

"Another study using isolated pancreatic cells found that only those artificial sweeteners with a bitter aftertaste (acesulfame K, saccharin, stevia, and cyclamate) augmented the insulin response in the presence of glucose. Aspartame, which does not have a bitter aftertaste, did not affect insulin. Note, though, that this was an in vitro study using isolated cells and that the presence of glucose was a prerequisite for insulin secretion. Of course, dieters slurping down artificial sweeteners do it during meals, most of which tend to feature large amounts of glucose."

In other words, sweet doesn't always mean sweet to the body.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 02:58 PM
Congrats! I'm trying to convince my Girlfriend to stop drinking Juice with aspartame in it. She keeps waking up with migraines.

Feel free to share the following video with anyone you know who drinks the poison. Apologies for the video quality, it was my first serious video so I was pretty nervous lol.

edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 04:20 PM
A year ago (exactly on Super Bowl day like today), I drank my last coke, I quit the stuff ALL SODAS, went back to square one and drank water. Never had any problem with Diet coke or pepsi and used to drink a lot of them.

After one year I can say I went down 19 pounds, but those 19 pound were of fat, my skin better than ever, I have excellent times and run better than ever, I look younger and everyone tells me so.

Also I cut a lot of carbohidrates, went to eat more meat, fruits and vegetables. bread is a threat for me now and I went back to coffee not that much but I drink one almost everyday, alone just coffee.

I sleep better, and I am sharper.... it takes really 3 weeks to cut it out of your life.

In fact I am drinking a Pepsi today after one year to celebrate and because the can has the Seahawks logo... but afterwards I NEVER TAKE THAT MONSANTO POISON AGAIN.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 04:55 PM

They use aspartame to induce cancer in lab rats

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 05:20 PM
Try to keep it up, just so you know training helps. Because when you physically excersise, you feel look at food differently. Not as pleasure for the tongue, but as fluel for the body.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:58 PM
It's good that you got off aspartame. That stuff is a poison. And your water intake is great. Just be careful you replace the electrolytes you are flushng by drinking so much water. As for migraines, there are a lot of foods that can cause those. My Dad kept a food diary for a few months, and began to eliminate certain things one at a time. Then he began to add then back to his diet. To mak a long story short, he discovered that corn and corn products may have been part of the problem Things improved once he cut out corn. My husband used to get migraines, bad ones. In his case we thought it might have been partially due to florescent ights. I bought him two nice lamps for his office,and he turned off the overheads and he's not had a migraine in years.

edit on 1-2-2015 by Lindarm because: typo

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>