It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do TV Programmes Give the Public False Impressions Deliberately?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
This isn't about defending any particular crime etc its purely about the service the public get today from their defence lawyers. The cost to those public who don't qualify for any legal aid and the mirage on tv to keep public trust in our legal system.

Do we get a false impression from the tv that our rights, when being questioned about a crime, are really being protected by our legal representatives thoroughly as they are are strongly portrayed on the tv? There lawyers agressively stop any form of wrong doing in questioning, they keep the police in order but does this really happen?

This portrayal gives the public the idea that there can be little chance of a miscarriage of justice because all the defendant's rights were observed, not bullied, deliberately lied to etc etc etc.

But, are we being given a false impression deliberately? TV media is great propaganda and is used all the time, but often now you read or hear how sloppy defense, especially on initial questioning,allows the public to be dragged into court on the flimsiest of evidence for many costing them a fortune in defense costs - which should never have happened were their rights protect.

You don't hear much about them being sued by dissatisfied clients, because that has to be funded by the client and is extortionately expensive even if a judge dismisses their case. Are we getting a fair service of justice today?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7

Yes, of course they do.

And very deliberately in fact.

It's called 'Opinion shaping'...officially. There's even a job position for it at the ministry i believe, although i can't remember her name, it was a Woman who was running the whole 'public opinion shaping' department, who apparently would sit in on cabinet meetings and help shape the language used to baffle the public into acceptance of whatever it was they wanted us to accept.

The US has similar programmes, although they appear to be much more evident and in your face...typical American style propaganda i suppose, whereas ours is a little more subtle in execution.

Many European countries do the same too, especially prevalent in times of conflict (as you'd imagine). Germany has reporters coming out and admitting they are fed pieces to write under their own names in popular newspapers and news TV shows, but they don't write them, they don't get to edit them and if they don't publish those intel agency created 'pieces', they are out of a job with the threat of worse...

There is no free media any more.
edit on 31-1-2015 by MysterX because: added info

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Is a frogs ass watertight?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Wasn't a lawyer just arrested for actually doing their job the other day? It was posted on ATS.

Makes ya wonder why lawyers are the way they are, generally speaking. They know what side they're playing on.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

Why was I not surprised, but still a little irritated, to read your response. Don't fancy being in Germany, although I thought the Germans were a little tighter than that as a community and watched their propaganda because of past experience carefully. Perhaps its just their lady Angelica taking care of them - her way.

The more you find out about the general way in which the public is managed, the sicker it makes you especially when you taxes pay their salaries.

I was really writing and asking others about the legal system we have today, which is so different to be virtually unrecognisable in principle - on the surface at least - although its always been a way for some to print their own money.

Personally I don't trust our courts and those who work in crime detection, because as you get older you see what goes on repeatedly as against what you would assume happened. I can't help thinking that 'closet/cabinet' 'biddy' is doing a right job on the public, as most don't realise they are expected to pay for their legal representation whether the charges are literally ridiculous and with no proof, yet they end up in court with a massive legal bill just to defend their names - which the news media usually destroys for them by printing their oncoming cases usually with photos.

If you think its done across the country the revenue from the courts must be massive. The one in Exeter must have cost an absolute fortune to build due to its construction and the materials any builder will tell you have been used.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

Yes, I remember reading someone got their a-s kicked for actually doing their job, which rather proves what I am thinking has been set up today for the legal gravy-train.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I quit watching shows like "Cold Case" and one of the 'Law and Order' series because they show the police questioning the subjectz, browbeating them, with the subject's lawyer in the room just sitting there like a spectator and not stopping the interviews or advising their clients not to answer. 'Cold Case' actually showed people confessing every week to old crimes when no evidence existed other than their confessions - with lawyers in the room quietly watching. In 'The Closer' the heroine always got a confession, and, of course, without the person's lawyer present. Good for drama, bad for educating people about their rights (although I certainly don't condone people committing crimes, everyone should know their countries basic rights and choose to implement them if they feel the need, except in North Korea or Saudi Arabia where.....run!).
edit on 31-1-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

This isn't about defending any particular crime etc its purely about the service the public get today from their defence lawyers. The cost to those public who don't qualify for any legal aid and the mirage on tv to keep public trust in our legal system.

If you're talking about crime and police series here, I think it's probably related to the main characters being almost completely spotless and ethical. They're the sympathetic good guys, ready to bust mean guy's asses. The justice system sometimes grossly mistreats suspects out of malicious intent or sheer stupidity- or other reasons. That doesn't fit well with the good guy cops you as the viewer are to sympathise with, therefore they're portrayed as heroes of justice. To make them somewhat more human they add in some slip-ups but of course only little ones and all because of good intentions.

Do we get a false impression from the tv that our rights, when being questioned about a crime, are really being protected by our legal representatives thoroughly as they are are strongly portrayed on the tv?

Probably so but personally I think it's not for propaganda but to uphold the clear moral superiority of the heroes that are being portrayed.

Regardless of whether it's a deliberate misrepresentation misconduct within the judicial system needs all attention it deserves. Does that happen?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   

when being questioned about a crime, are really being protected by our legal representatives thoroughly as they are are strongly portrayed on the tv

Most people will let themselves get drawn in to a conversation with cops, defending themselves, protesting their innocence [which is exactly what they want you to do] and answer questions, when they should be keeping their mouth shut.
You have the right to remain silent.
Use It.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Yes and no. Read about "the CSI effect." Go on any number of threads here about shooting and read the comments about shooting guns out of people's hands or doing some sort of ninja crap to disarm somebody.

Is it intentional? Some of it is, sure. But I think it's mostly that it makes a better story on TV and the movies, which means more money, which means that's what gets put out as the product.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Yes TV drama (especially dramatized TV) is designed to meld our minds and behavior. If you watch you see people call 911 and the next scene is one of sirens turning as the calvary blaze to the rescue.

Thats one example. I hope others bring their favorites, thats the question the OP is asking. How do they form our opinions and behaviors through television to make us believe that crime and justice are well served?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
definitely.

my fiance brought up something interesting about this yesterday, funnily enough.

im 23, he's 22. a ton of people that we both know are getting hitched and even more are popping out children like it's going out of style.

yesterday we were having a discussion about this when I brought up a concern of mine: namely wondering why I had zero desire for kids atm--seeing as I still feel like a kid myself, most of the time. I wondered if it was just me being immature and what was going on.

he says no, and yes. yes you are immature--but they are, too. he said theyre having kids because of external societal pressure to do so. and this pressure comes from the media, a lot.

I dont watch much normal t.v--anime is probably my go-to t.v entertainment atm.

he explained it like you know how a bee colony needs worker bees? which made a lot of sense to me.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Of course it does, try paying attention to the popular villain and good guy memes. Who is likely to be the bad guy? Who is likely to be the good guy?

The in reality who does the public think is the bad guy? Who does the public think is the good guy?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I don't think it is deliberate i think its just because if TV programs had to go through all of the procedure and time consuming investigative work that goes on in real life then TV would be really boring.

Its like in espionage movies and TV where at the touch of a button they can find the bad guy and the fate of thousands of people rests on a hand full of people working for the super secret spy agency.

Reality is much more boring and tedious so would not attract as much viewers.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Shiloh7 All TV news/ information is bias one way or the other. However, the problem was compounded by the 24 hr news cycle, and the internet. When I was much younger there where only 3 networks. The news then was not bias in anyway, that I can remember. It was also the time when TV stations went off the air at midnight, then came back on the air at 6:30AM.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I do believe it is deliberate and very effective.

I think that the large majority of shows about the justice system are incorrect and not by accident. The only one I can think of that slightly close to reality is "Orange is the New Black", based on some friends I've had(females) that went through low security lockup.

Either way, it's nothing new. Here's an article you might find interesting from 2009:

www.purdue.edu...

People who watch forensic and crime dramas on TV are more likely than non-viewers to have a distorted perception of America's criminal justice system, according to new research from Purdue University.

Most viewers of crime related dramas are women. These shows are mostly propaganda that make the majority of women believe that there is far more crime than there actually is(being perpetrated by regular citizens) while painting due process as being fair and just while making the average man seem like an axe wielding murderer. It's no wonder that so much of the United States supports this type of violent system that has created a web that destroys huge swaths of young men's lives with no chance at redemption.

So I do believe it's intentional. I guarantee that if the majority of these shows depicted the truth, you'd see soccer moms lining up for justice within a month or two and the whole system would be overhauled within a year.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I'm not sure. I do work in the entertainment industry, film and TV, but from what I see; content of programming is determined by numerous polls of the viewership asking them what they want to see. Producer don't want to waste money and time on programs that won't be watched. It is very expensive to write, cast and crew a TV series and the bean counters keep track of every dollar. In TV, when viewers drop out, the series is canceled because it's just not worth it to produce if you can't keep the ratings up.

Is there social engineering by TV? The answer is yes....to buy more stuff, throw it away, buy the new model, spend everything you make on 2nd class junk and repeat this cycle until you are so senile that nothing makes sense anyway as you watch BS programming with drool running down your chin.

I work on some of the dumbest reality shows you can imagine, and sometimes I feel guilty but I need to money to buy more useless junk too.....

edit on 31-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I've been there and I'll tell you(not news channels) that you've all got the wrong end of the stick. They are interested in one thing only and that is entertaining which is ratings which is revenue.
Now any person who believes that ANY series(crime or any thing else) is real aught to go and have their head examined. They are probably the same people that believes everything they see in movies. IT IS ENTERTAINMENT. Not material to be used in real life. If you can't see the difference then I feel for you.
Now news channels that's a different thing altogether. THAT is where, through omission more than anything, that propaganda can ply it's evil role. But half the time the stories are included for entertainment purposes rather than news.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
If you ever get the chance to witness a trial, or review tapes of police questioning subjects you'll notice that they are especially boooooring. I'm not much of a television consumer, but if a cop show showed the true process, totally undramatized, likely no one would watch.

posted on Feb, 19 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

"Do TV Programmes Give the Public False Impressions Deliberately?"

Of course. Why do you think it's called "PROGRAMMING"?

Why are they called "PROGRAMS"?

Because they are designed to PROGRAM people into obedient little machines, that are easy and convenient to control and enslave.

It has been devastatingly effective, as anyone can see, watching the population of this planet. These half-animals can't express real humanity anymore. They don't have real values anymore. They live in utter ignorance about their surroundings, the Universe, their own bodies and energy system, their souls, and the governments, banks, money and the power structure that controls them every waking moment. And they are proud of their shackles.

This planet is just a work camp for obedient drones, and if you are not eager to trade your precious time, well-being and efforts, resources and capabilities for some pieces of paper and metal, or some numbers in a computer's memory / harddrive, you will be attacked and shamed endlessly.

Why would they NOT use such an effective mind control apparatus and network this way? I think it has been happening pretty much as long a TV has existed.

They would have done the same with internet, but they were too slow, and internet was born free, and only slowly has it been commercialized and cubicled, restrained and choked, and used to continue the programming that the other media formats have done for ages. Soon there's not going to be much freedom left even in the internet.

Even this site is clearly just a mess now, it has been compromised. It's good to have freedom of expression, but when that freedom is deliberately used to machinate certain responses from the masses, and to breed ignorance (by claiming to deny it), it's not a useful platform anymore.

In short: yes.

top topics

join