It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Official: Chemical Ali to Be Tried First

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Ali Hasan al-Majid, better known by his nickname of Chemical Ali, will be the first of the Saddam Hussein regime to stand trial. He earned his nickname by ordering a 1988 chemical weapons attack against Kurds, and attacks in 1990 and 1991. Ali, was the 2nd most wanted figure in the now famous deck of cards that the U.S. issued detailing 55 members of Saddams regime.

story.news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - The ex-Iraqi general known as "Chemical Ali," accused of using chemical weapons attacks to kill thousands of Kurds, will be the first detained former Saddam Hussein regime figure to stand trial next week, a government official said Wednesday.

Ali Hasan al-Majid is accused of ordering the 1988 Halabja chemical weapons attacks against Kurds, the 1990 invasion of Kuwait and suppressing a 1991 Shiite uprising in southern Iraq.

He is among 12 regime members including Saddam who are waiting to face trial.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

No doubt that the trial will proceed, and convictions will be guaranteed. It remains to be seen if the trial stirs up more unrest. However, I have to agree that it is important that the trial progress before the election to show the population that justice will be delivered. In my opinion, if convicted the only penalty Ali should receive is death. No other punishment will come close to making up for his crimes.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The justice system is much different than we are accustomed to here in the US.

The trial will be carried out by an exclusively-Iraqi tribunal, with no UN involvement at all. No juries. And the death penalty, which was banned under CPA rule, has been reinstated. Defense lawyers have a much smaller role, and input, than in the US.

Expect swift decisions and timely application of sentences.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
The justice system is much different than we are accustomed to here in the US.

The trial will be carried out by an exclusively-Iraqi tribunal, with no UN involvement at all. No juries. And the death penalty, which was banned under CPA rule, has been reinstated. Defense lawyers have a much smaller role, and input, than in the US.

Expect swift decisions and timely application of sentences.

Just curious but are those death penalties in the form of be-heading?

I sure hope so.... Even that is far too good for the likes of Saddam and Checmical Ali..............................

I vote for public stoning until dead (All Stones must be thown below the chest and above the knees.)

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Definetly interesting to know these people will be tried and sentenced quicker here than in the U.S. After all you only need to start with the first crime and then punish him for that seeing as it would earn death regardless. A beheading is a quick and painless death when performed correctly. At least they wont be hanging them like we did in the Nuremberg Trials. I am pretty sure Sadaam will actually be last in the line of executions however, they want to extract as much intelligence from him as humanly possible by todays technological means. After all he was the leader of a nation, does anyone actually realize the stuff the leader of a whole nation would know, specifically about the region he is in?

Anyways, I believe a beheading is actually more humane than the electric chair or gas chamber, because of the speed of it. for instance using a hydrolic powered guilotene would be foolproof. Electricity stings and gas feels funny
Losing your head is unnoticeable

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Just curious but are those death penalties in the form of be-heading?

I don't think they stick with any one particular method:

With only 700 judges for a population of 27 million, Iraq needs the "dissuasive effect" of capital punishment to improve security, Bakhtiar Amin said at UN offices in Geneva, where he was meeting the global body's human rights agency.

"Nobody within my government is happy about the reintroduction of the death penalty," he said, attributing its return to "the general feeling in Iraq" that "if we hang several people publicly ... then it will have an impact upon the security."

While the quote mentions hanging, beheading and firing squads have also been used. And Saddam was fond of "tongue amputations" for those found guilty of badmouthing his regime.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Come on guys, don't lower your selves to their level. Getting all excited about the barbaric type of executions makes you sound as bad as the people about to to trial.

FredT, I also mentioned this news in my ATSNN thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

new topics

top topics

join