It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rods From God satellite in defense promo video?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Semicollegiate

I think that's the first time I've ever seen an Avatar relevant to the thread being discussed!!! Well done Sir! Besides aliens of course...
edit on 31-1-2015 by noeltrotsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I remember reading about kinetic weaponry in, I believe it was, Neal Stephenson's Anathemea (sp). I am pretty sure Arthur C. Clarke has mentioned it too. And today there are doubtlessly many others. Just thinking outloud here. I need to consume some more of that good sci fi. A lot of people disliked or didn't understand Aenathema, and I get that but hey its different strokes for different folks, ya know?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Cool imact. What was the projectile? Tungsten?

I guess they would also need something for more precise targeting. To be able to take out a single person. Super heated laser beam?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Semicollegiate

Dumb flying kinetic masses are immune to all of that.

The launch platform isn't

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
I remember reading about kinetic weaponry in, I believe it was, Neal Stephenson's Anathemea (sp). I am pretty sure Arthur C. Clarke has mentioned it too. And today there are doubtlessly many others. Just thinking outloud here. I need to consume some more of that good sci fi. A lot of people disliked or didn't understand Aenathema, and I get that but hey its different strokes for different folks, ya know?
yeah it was in a Clarke book earthlight I believe.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The original project was called Thor or something like that. They were looking in to the possibilities of cracking underground bunkers if I remember right.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Cool imact. What was the projectile? Tungsten?

I guess they would also need something for more precise targeting. To be able to take out a single person. Super heated laser beam?

It was on the Drudge Report, a few years ago, about the time the 3 stage surface to space missile was tested by the Navy.

Actually it might have been a rail gun.

It was kinetic for sure, only velocity, no propellant.

Tungsten sounds right, maybe titanium. Titanium would be easier to accelerate in a rail gun. Tungsten would have more punch for a reentry impact.

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Thanks's for the comments everyone. I didn't think that it was an actual schematic but I thought non the less that it was worth sharing just to see what the general concept would be for a satellite based bombardment system. I am pretty sure that the US government has the schematics for the real deal ready to be rapid prototype with as little lead time as possible in case the space weapons treaty might be dropped by Russia or China with no notice. I sincerely hope that day never comes though, weapons in space are just inherently wrong.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join