It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rods From God satellite in defense promo video?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
While killing time on YouTube watching some defense promo videos when I cam across this one from the Space Missile Defense Conference '12. In the video their were some interesting looking systems but one really popped out at me as looking exactly what a "rod's from god" type satellite based kinetic bombardment platform. I could be totally off and the spikes might just be instruments of some sort so I would some opinions on what this satellite could be.

Starts @ 1:43 into the video 1:48
Link in case embedded player doesn't work.
www.youtube.com...

It even looks like it might have multiple types of projectiles optimized in size and weight for the intended effect on the target without complete overkill or vice verse.
edit on 1/31/2015 by BigDave-AR because: Added backup youtube link.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
From the comments from the video:

I was at this conference. This was a presentation for simulation software. The companies involved provide simulations to predict how new technologies will work with each other in future combat. They went ahead and built 3D models for some futuristic aircraft and vehicles but that doesn't necessarily mean they will ever be developed.

Probably a 3D mockup of a kinetic satellite weapon system.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I remember reading about something like this during the Reagan era. Tungsten rods dropped from space. Enough kinetic energy to smash a building. They were calling it "Hammer of the Gods" back then.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Yup, this idea has been around for a long time. The big concern these days is that it turns any government that can put a satellite in orbit into a nuclear power because they can just aim it at any of the 400 nuclear plants operating around the globe and make a nation uninhabitable in the blink of an eye. Hmmm, maybe I wasn't supposed to mention that.
edit on 31-1-2015 by CraftBuilder because: I redacted some.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Looks like there were some other fictional platforms in that promo as well. It comes from the "future" of space defense conference. I wouldn't rely on those renderings.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   

According to this 14 minute video
we have already shot down one of our own satellites,
and China has tried three times to shoot down one of their own.
They succeeded on the third try.

So thank you BigDave-AR for bringing this information for us to weigh and value. Even though a previous video was found to be a projection the militarization of space is real.

AST Thread: Senator Mike Gravel "We Have a Space Military Force, it is in Existence"
posted on May, 6 2013 @ 03:13 AM
by member: phatdamage

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Yeah...but what is that remotely operated mini shuttle doing up there for months on end?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

Except that's not even remotely true. A complete melt down of a nuclear plant has happened twice in recorded history. Once in chernobyl, and a second and third time at fukushima daiichi, Two reactors admittedly reached melt down stages on a tiny island like japan, and it is still 100% habitable. It's a given, that someone isn't to try and promote fiction as truth. How ever, that's what the internet is for, fools to spread bull# rumors and does it ever stink here lately.

edit on 31-1-2015 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
It seems to me we should learn from the latest tactics. Namely scatter and regroup.

The USA's new "fractionated" swarm satellites - in which groups of small wirelessly-linked modules in orbit will replace today's large spacecraft - will be able to scatter to avoid enemy attacks and then reform into operational clusters.

New US swarm sats will scatter to avoid space war strikes
www.theregister.co.uk
By Lewis Page, 17 Aug 2010

Rather like how members of ATS are "scattered" but come to this forum as a "group".

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

Fukushima is still an ongoing disaster and Chernobyl is not much different in spite of what you may have heard, or not heard, on MSM.

P

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Are there still people living at both ? Yep, okay so how are they uninhabitable?

There are people that never left chernobyl, there are people that have moved back over the years and are even today moving back. No, the government doesn't suggest it. No, I wouldn't want to do it myself, but it is absolutely habitable for the most part.

Fukushima, I'd give it maybe 10 to 20 years then as long as i wasn't having kids. I might just move on over, yes it's an on going crisis, but they are working to clean it up as we would if there was an attack.

These areas have good and bad days, but are totally habitable by pretty much all that lives on this earth.

I agree there is a disaster at both of this sites, I agree it caused enormous damage, how ever it is not the end of the known world, nor is it the end of all life, nor is it anything other than an inconvenience to both human beings and mother nature.

Get over it, move forwards. If you dwell on something, you are giving up.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hijinx

Except that's not even remotely true. A complete melt down of a nuclear plant has happened twice in recorded history. Once in chernobyl, and a second and third time at fukushima daiichi, Two reactors admittedly reached melt down stages on a tiny island like japan, and it is still 100% habitable. It's a given, that someone isn't to try and promote fiction as truth. How ever, that's what the internet is for, fools to spread bull# rumors and does it ever stink here lately.

100% habitable? Now who's spreading it? Japan by the way is teetering on a knife edge. If the corium at Chernobyl had reached the basement, a third of Europe would be uninhabitable now. We've been lucky. Unless you care to drink the money man's cool-aid.

And have any reactors ever been obliterated by bunker busting munitions?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   

And have any reactors ever been obliterated by bunker busting munitions?

If the West starts something with North Korea I would imagine that is where NK would aim a great many of its medium range missiles. It could be devastating.

P

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Launch of Rokot with European Swarm Satellites from Russia.

A Russian Rokot successfully launched from Plesetsk in Russia carrying three satellites called SWARM for the European Space Agency. Liftoff occurred at 12:03 UTC on November 22nd 2013.

The official mission is listed as detecting earth's magnetic field,
but either way it verifies that "swarm satellites" are a reality.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I remember reading about something like this during the Reagan era. Tungsten rods dropped from space. Enough kinetic energy to smash a building. They were calling it "Hammer of the Gods" back then.
actually though they can have any mass and the velocity can be altered to change yield; Satellite based "Rod's from God" maxes out at just under Hiroshima nuke strength.
edit on 31-1-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I understand the hitting a nuke plant would be bad. I think the government is more worried about a targeted attack on the White House or Kremlin or such thing. The tungsten rods would be invisible to radar and strike in minutes. Impossible to stop even if you did see it coming. The attack would be near impossible to trace if enough countries have satellites....which there are quite a few now.

This has been talked about for a long time already. I wouldn't be surprised to see an active platform up there by the US right now. Good point by Stirling about the X-37 remote space vehicle spending years now in low Earth atmosphere. No doubt it is investigating other countries satelittes, 'bugging' them and refueling US ones. However it could also be supplying more rods to an orbital platform.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

I could be totally off and the spikes might just be instruments of some sort so I would some opinions on what this satellite could be.

Hard to be 100% sure but those thingys look like RF antennas. Lots of Satellites have them. GPS satellites have them and they are about the size of a baseball bat.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
The video is an "Our stuff is pretty" demo loop from a company that makes presentation animations.

It's not an expose of current weapons platforms.

The creation and development of computer animation is at the center of our expertise. This includes developing original storyboards, construction and surfacing of three-dimensional high-resolution models, scene animation and lighting as well as motion capture and non-linear editing with integrated sound. We invest in the latest emerging technologies and specialized hardware to provide quality, efficient and cost-competitive solutions.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I'd name it Zeus - lighting bolts made of steel

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
My avatar is a kinetic reentry impact.

The rods are so low tech that they could appear in huge numbers any given year.

A few Saturn V sized boosters could put several thousand into stationary targets world wide.

The US and China would get the most benefit from using them. The US because they are cheap and we could conceivable be at war with the entire world. China because they are lower level technology and next to impossible to stop after launch, especially by electronic warfare means.

Most of the superiority of US weapons comes from our lead in computerized and electrical/electronic warfare technology. Dumb flying kinetic masses are immune to all of that.

edit on 31-1-2015 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join