It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death Of The American Dream In 22 Numbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Hey My ATS Friends and Family, I don't want to be a Party Pooper here as far as our Great American Recovery is concerned. But, it just seems these 22 little snippets here say a lot. I know, Figures Lie and Liars Figure, LOL.

So, going through this litany, these do seem to match up pretty well with observations of the folks around here. What do you Guys an Girls think? Are these anywhere close to your own experiences as far as what's going on in This American Economic Comeback?

For decades, the rest of the planet has regarded the United States as “the land of opportunity” where almost anyone can be successful if they are willing to work hard. The “American Dream” has been transformed into a very twisted game of musical chairs. With each passing year, more people are falling out of the middle class, and most of the rest are scrambling really hard to keep their own places. Something has gone horribly wrong... We are the generation that gets to witness the end of the American Dream.

We are the generation that gets to witness the end of the American Dream. The numbers that you are about to see tell a story. They tell a story of a once mighty economy that is dying. For decades, the rest of the planet has regarded the United States as “the land of opportunity” where almost anyone can be successful if they are willing to work hard. And when I was growing up, it seemed like almost everyone was living the American Dream. I lived on a “middle class” street and I went to a school where it seemed like almost everyone was middle class. When I was in high school, it was very rare to ever hear of a parent that was unemployed, and virtually every family that I knew had a comfortable home and more than one nice vehicle.

~~~~~~~~~

#1 The Obama administration tells us that 8.69 million Americans are “officially unemployed” and that 92.90 million Americans are considered to be “not in the labor force”. That means that more than 101 million U.S. adults do not have a job right now.

#2 One recent survey discovered that 55 percent of Americans believe that the American Dream either never existed or that it no longer exists.

#3 Considering the fact that Obama is in the White House, it is somewhat surprising that 55 percent of all Republicans still believe in the American Dream, but only 33 percent of all Democrats do.

www.zerohedge.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.zerohedge.com... numbers
edit on Fri Jan 30 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: EX TAGS, trimmed huge quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it - George Carlin

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: arjunanda

How can we start to increase the number of middle class jobs in America once again?

I don't think we can! The corporate Oligarchy is in firm control of the Government, Media, military and the infrastructure; and they don't care about
the Middle class. Their focus in on profit for the stockholders, CEOs, and let the employees be damned.
I hold as evidence the largest and one of the most profitable companies in America. WalMart where many of their employees are on Government assistance, forced to only working part time so WalMart won't have to pay benefits.

fortune.com...

This corporate model of Walmarts will eventually spread to all big businesses because it's profitable. It's called Capitalism!

It's a completely different economic model with supply and demand no longer an OS but being ruled by speculators, insider trading, corruption, and a toothless judiciary also under control of the oligarchy so that even criminal activity is either ignored or given a slap on the wrist.

edit on 30-1-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
OK olaru12, What you have to say IMHO is correct. It's just that this is not really Capitalism were experiencing, More Cronyism. If you're not in the Club as George Carlin said, then you're not gonna get in and you're ability to move up The Economic Ladder has been stymied by The Greed of The Globalist Profiteers (The Ladder has been rolled up and you and I aren't going to get into their Treehouse LOL!. Good Reply and A Star for you
Arjunanda a reply to: olaru12

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Just any quote from George Carlin gets and Automatic Star from me Zcustosmorum. Thank You for quoting George and May He Rest in Peace
Arjunanda. a reply to: Zcustosmorum

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Sorry I just can't resist!

Biden: 'The Past Six Years Have Been Really, Really Hard For This Country'

How's that 'change' you can believe in working out ?

What you only have pocket change left ?

4 more years!

4 more years!

The death of America began.

The decline of America began.

When people started looking to the state to give them things, and to make all their woes go bye bye.!

The American dream has long since been dead.

Because people are looking to the wrong place to solve their problems.

Only 1 person you can count on.

Only 1 person who will never screw you over for a vote.

Only 1 person who will never let you down.

YOU!

That people WAS the American dream.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The American Dream is something only really believed by her own citizens.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
So pretty much it wasn't until 2008 that all this bad stuff started to happen?

Ya, ok...

It was all rainbows and unicorns prior to that I guess.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Ya, ok...

I would suggest that America lost it's way more after WW2 and then totally lost it after JFK got taken out by the gymnastic sniper hanging upside down from the Plaza building

And on the subject, this documentary is definitely worthwhile:

edit on -216002015-01-30T20:21:11-06:00u1131201511012015Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:21:11 -0600 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Ya, ok...

Nope this all began in the late 60 s early 70s....having said that, since 2008 it has accelerated by leaps and bounds.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: infinityorder

Some say leaps and bounds, some say it has stabilized.

Guess it just depends on who's spin you want to believe.

I don't think he has done much more then what ole georgie did before him, he isn't any better but he isn't much worse.

I mean pre 2008 it wasn't that great either, we just decided some stuff was 'to big to fail'

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: arjunanda

Extreme greed yields this.

Money is potential. What we have here, is our potential being held hostage. By whom you may ask, well, it's should be obvious.

Further to this, this potential is, for lack of a better word, frittered away instead of allocated appropriately in many, many instances.

edit on 30-1-2015 by 1Providence1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
1Providence1, I can only agree with you on your point Great Greed brings about Great Stupidity, which always leads to a fall. shavedfish a reply to: 1Providence1

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Funny. I'm living the dream. So are a lot of my friends. I'm not a gazillionaire, but I've carved out a nice life for myself. It worked out just like my parents told me it would. Stay in school. Don't do anything stupid. Work hard and you will be successful.

You hang with losers you are going to be a loser. Too many of you need go see Tony Robbins and get some motivation in your life. Nothing is going to be handed to you. While you sit around complaining and bitchin, somebody else is out there hustling to achieve their dream. America and capitalism isn't for the weak.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Funny. I'm living the dream. So are a lot of my friends. I'm not a gazillionaire, but I've carved out a nice life for myself. It worked out just like my parents told me it would. Stay in school. Don't do anything stupid. Work hard and you will be successful.

You hang with losers you are going to be a loser. Too many of you need go see Tony Robbins and get some motivation in your life. Nothing is going to be handed to you. While you sit around complaining and bitchin, somebody else is out there hustling to achieve their dream. America and capitalism isn't for the weak.

Good for you, here's a medal

Sorry but the majority of us especially the younger generation are struggling. We were told the same things as you, go to college, get a job, work hard and you'll do fine. What a load of BS. I thought I would be able to secure a decent living even though I secured one of those "useless" liberal arts degrees. My expectations weren't much 2k a month FT work. What I actually got after graduation? 10$/hour PT work at a retailer. It's not just the liberal arts folks either, my younger sister who is a harder worker and obtained a chemical engineering degree from a good school can't even find a job! We're living the dream man!

Your social darwinism sentiment about how "American Capitalism isn't for the weak and work hard be strong and you'll be on top" is a sentiment that needs to die in this country. A community is only as strong as it's weakest member, good communities look out for each other. A great example is the Jewish and Hispanic cultures. They look out for each other and have strong family ties, something that is being destroyed in this country. In America now it's all about individualism, personal success, material goods, and social standing.

WORK, WORK, WORK, COLLEGE, JOBS, SUCCESS! 'MURCIA!

[/End Rant]

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Yep asmall89, That's what is pretty much going on around here. I know PHD's and MBA's that are applying for work way below their education levels. It really is frightening as I see no improvement at all in this economy and I'm afraid somewhere along the way Mom and Dad's Basement and Refrigerator is going to run out and that will be that. Good reply and A Star for you
Arjunanda. a reply to: asmall89

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The dream was never real. I have come to grips with that fact. I know it can indeed get worse. You play the cards you were dealt with.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: asmall89

originally posted by: Edumakated

Good for you, here's a medal

Sorry but the majority of us especially the younger generation are struggling. We were told the same things as you, go to college, get a job, work hard and you'll do fine. What a load of BS. I thought I would be able to secure a decent living even though I secured one of those "useless" liberal arts degrees. My expectations weren't much 2k a month FT work. What I actually got after graduation? 10$/hour PT work at a retailer. It's not just the liberal arts folks either, my younger sister who is a harder worker and obtained a chemical engineering degree from a good school can't even find a job! We're living the dream man!

Your social darwinism sentiment about how "American Capitalism isn't for the weak and work hard be strong and you'll be on top" is a sentiment that needs to die in this country. A community is only as strong as it's weakest member, good communities look out for each other. A great example is the Jewish and Hispanic cultures. They look out for each other and have strong family ties, something that is being destroyed in this country. In America now it's all about individualism, personal success, material goods, and social standing.

WORK, WORK, WORK, COLLEGE, JOBS, SUCCESS! 'MURCIA!

[/End Rant]

Your problem is that you got a liberal arts degree as they ARE useless.

Should have got a degree in science, maths or engineering or hell law .

I got my degree in biology, never been short of reasonble paid work even in 2009!

Honnestly liberal arts degree should be banned.
Im bern tell me,mif im a empolyeer why would I want someone with a liberal arts degree? When I can have someone with say a degree in mathmatics?

As for your sister?

How the hell she cant find work is beyond me. Tell her to move to the UK she will get a job piss easy with that degree.
edit on 31-1-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

You took the words right out of his mouth. Did you have to dig up his corpse?

"All Hail George Carlin and his single commandment : "Don't be a dick. - George Carlin""
:

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

You live in another country and likely graduated before the crash of 08. Things are different here and now. It's not just my sister I also have a friend who has a mechanical engineering degree and can only get a contractual job even though he's interned and done a previous contract with the same company. They won't give him a FT position. It's also hard to get ahead financially because most people here have 20k in student loans or more.

As far as liberal arts degrees I agree with you to a point. My degree was music composition and I am definitely skilled in that area but the fact is its useless unless you get a teaching license or know the right people. The arts and other subjects need to be taught like they were in the 1800's and before, an apprenticeship under a master.

However that is an entirely different topic

edit on 2-2-2015 by asmall89 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join