It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican to offer Haircuts, Showers, Shavs to Homeless.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I think this is the best news I've read all day.

Vatican to offer homeless showers, shaving, and haircuts.

The Vatican will offer homeless people in Rome not only showers but also haircuts and shaves when new facilities open next month, the head of Pope Francis' charity office said.

Bishop Konrad Krajewski told the Italian Catholic newspaper Avvenire on Thursday that it would also offer haircuts and shaves when the services start on Feb. 16 in an area under the colonnade of the square.

Krajewski, whose official title is the pope's almoner, said barbers and hairdressers would volunteer their services on Mondays, the day their shops are traditionally closed in Italy.

They had already donated chairs, hair-cutting instruments, and mirrors, the newspaper's website said.

Krajewski came up with the idea of building showers in St. Peter's Square last year after a homeless person told him that while it was relatively easy to find places to eat at Rome charities, it was difficult to find places to wash.

I think this is vry sweet and it's a shame more places do not offer this as a service. I imagine if they did, maybe some of the homeless, looking more presentable, would be able to find more services available to them, such as work, or an apartment. This really should go world wide.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I imagine if they did, maybe some of the homeless, looking more presentable, would be able to find more services available to them, such as work, or an apartment.

Its a nice gesture, but really smacks of preserving the image of cleanliness more that actually helping people living outdoors. They would prefer the money it cost to go and eat something. At the end of the day a shave is good and all but an empty belly still growls.

Clean shaven homeless people, lol. During my outdoor phase, I knew long hair and a beard kept my head warm and fended off mosquitos.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
originally posted by: intrptr

Its a nice gesture, but really smacks of preserving the image of cleanliness more that actually helping people living outdoors. They would prefer the money it cost to go and eat something. At the end of the day a shave is good and all but an empty belly still growls.

Clean shaven homeless people, lol. During my outdoor phase, I knew long hair and a beard kept my head warm and fended off mosquitos.

Krajewski came up with the idea of building showers in St. Peter's Square last year after a homeless person told him that while it was relatively easy to find places to eat at Rome charities, it was difficult to find places to wash.

He immediately received the pope's backing for the shower project and then expanded it to include haircuts and shaves.

Apparently in Rome, Italy, they have places to eat, just not places to get clean or shave. This was his way of seeing and filling THAT particular need. Now if we could fill all three here in the states and in other places worldwide, I think we'd be doing good. Some areas have soup kitchens, open up the Y for the homeless to shower at night, let barbers and beauticians volunteer to cut the hair of the homeless for 2 hours between 5-7 on weekends, or something, that covers food, shower, and hair. Worse comes to worse, allow a police officer or two volunteer on their day off to offer security, as a way of giving back to the community, but don't be seen as a threat, relax, get to know the community, so then, on the day when you ARE working, if something does happen to them, they don't feel threatened to go to you to ask for help. (The homeless that is, and the community as a whole.)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
...and When they step into the shower, out comes the zyklon b Gas instead of water.

Scenario B:
This new pope keeps attracting new atheists, agnostics, and non Christian cheerleaders and gets killed by one of his own for being the "false prophet".

I say b.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I appreciate the sentiment. Have you ever been "homeless"? Probably not, since you use the term. Its derogatory. Planet Earth is our home. There are those that don't want to pay rent and slave for some corporation all their lives.

I know there are more poor people nowadays, granted. The answer to that is not a bath and a shave. Thats just the illusion of helping. A feel good.

You want to fix the economic disparity, take back your government. When people become hungry enough, they will.

Until then just find a person, just one and hand them a couple bucks. It won't cure anything, only make that one persons day a little bit easier.

"Charity don't make it down to the ghetto. Everyone knows that." --Tupak
edit on 30-1-2015 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This is so awesome.

So awesome I'm going to choose to avoid any jokes more suited to late night comedians.

I do admire this Pope.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
...and When they step into the shower, out comes the zyklon b Gas instead of water.

Scenario B:
This new pope keeps attracting new atheists, agnostics, and non Christian cheerleaders and gets killed by one of his own for being the "false prophet".

I say b.

I'm a Christian. I've heard rumblings of B. It's certainly possible. Especially when he made comment about hitting people and when he invited the transgender person in. That kind of upset some people. To me God said love everyone. So I do. Even though who may or may not sin against Him. That's not for me to decide. I did not agree with the pope about violence, but that doesn't mean I have to get violent. I believe in turn the other cheek. So I will continue with that belief. I don't care if anyone insults my religion or my mother. My mother walked out when I was 5, so that doesn't bother me. And religion doesn't bother me either as I feel it is silly to insult an idea, so it rolls off of me. But that's just me. Others may feel more deeply about it that I do.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Krajewski, whose official title is the pope's almoner, said barbers and hairdressers would volunteer their services on Mondays, the day their shops are traditionally closed in Italy.

And if no barbers or hairdressers offer to work on their only day off, then what? Why can't the Vatican pay for their own hairdressers? I feel like this is a PR stunt. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's real though.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Vatican can build some nice townhouses and give them homes, and food on wheels as well as dental and the works methinks.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
They're conducting a search, no?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I appreciate the sentiment. Have you ever been "homeless"? Probably not, since you use the term. Its derogatory. Planet Earth is our home. There are those that don't want to pay rent and slave for some corporation all their lives.

I know there are more poor people nowadays, granted. The answer to that is not a bath and a shave. Thats just the illusion of helping. A feel good.

You want to fix the economic disparity, take back your government. When people become hungry enough, they will.

Until then just find a person, just one and hand them a couple bucks. It won't cure anything, only make that one persons day a little bit easier.

"Charity don't make it down to the ghetto. Everyone knows that." --Tupak

Please don't assume. Yes. I have been homeless. Twice. Quite nearly a third time just recently. Both times were right after my divorce. My ex didn't want my daughter to live at her autism school because quote, "She doesn't need to be living with those retards." So apparently it's ok to go to school with them, just not live there, and it's ok to call your daughter that! Good to know. Now since my daughter had no place to live, none of us had a place to live. This was up in NY. My sister in NC was kind enough to take us both in. We were very close to living in my car.

The second time my daughter was in a group home in PA, and I was spending hundreds in travel just to see my daughter once couple of months from NC. I was about to live in my car in PA so I could see my daughter more often when a friend offered me a spare room she had. No charge. I'd known her for 15 years on the internet. That was how we knew each other. We never met in life. But she trusted me so much, she offered me a place in her home. We grew even closer living together for about a year until I found a place in PA. I couldn't thank her enough for what she had done for me. Same went for my sister.

The third time, my shower broke in my place. For four months my landlord refused to fix it. Just flat out. For four months I could not wash myself period! Every time I attempted to turn on my shower, my place flooded! I lived in a 15x7 RV and I was fricking grateful because it wasn't my car! it had holes that mice would get I through and chew my clothes and towels and food, and my landlord could not care! My landlord violated tenant rights and would walk in when he felt like it without notice. Same with maintenance. Finally after I asked him again about the shower, his response was to give me a 30 day notice on Thanksgiving day. Thanks to the holidays I could not find housing. I had to get county help to find housing. I had until 2 days before Christmas to find a place or live in my car. All because I asked my landlord to fulfill the lease. (I turned him into codes for violations.) I found a place with the county's help 4 days before Christmas. Seriously cutting it close! So yes, I have been homeless, no I have not enjoyed it.

There is a homeless veteran near where my sister lives, every time I saw him outside the grocery store, she and I would always go in, get his favorite Gatorade flavor (Orange), a sandwich or chicken, some cold salad, some rolls, some fruit, and some plastic silverware for his salad, along with some money. I saw him out once trying to read in the cold, and I went in and bought him some gloves. So please, don't ever assume. I always try to help someone out in some small way if I can.

I also have a bipolar stepsister who is homeless quite often because she refuses to take her medication and she choses to live that life. It breaks my heart to see that. When you know what someone is going through, THEN and only then can you judge them. Not until then.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

And if no barbers or hairdressers offer to work on their only day off, then what? Why can't the Vatican pay for their own hairdressers? I feel like this is a PR stunt. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's real though.

The Vatican is covering all of this in Rome only.

I made the suggestion of this going worldwide.
edit on 1/30/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
A small step in the right direction towards compassion. Hopefully people get warm clothes and a roof over their heads soon too.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The Salvation Army has been providing haircuts, showers. toothbrushes and tooth paste, and clothing to homeless people and low income job seekers for free, for decades. Plus, they have specific programs to provide transportation to job interviews, and to the actual job, should the client be hired, and to help coordinate child care assistance, too!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Yeah the salvos rock.
I'm not sure about the US or UK, but in OZ they are greatly loved. The are supported as they make a direct impact on community charity and programmes. My good friend is a Salvo, what a peach, I'd do charity drives with her when she needed.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Yeah, Salvation Army can have a life changing effect of the down and out here in the USA. They also have facilities that provide 3 square meals a day in most metro areas.

Their thrift stores rock too! I just got a beautiful antique wardrobe for $40!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

PLease don't even start me on their thrift store buys! I'm glancing lovingly at my 10 dollar vintage green vase as we speak.

I also remember the salvos giving someone I love food when they were too proud to tell anyone they needed to feed their family.

The charity of the Catholic church listed in this article needs to be thought about. They implement this charitable work and it receives media attention, when surely such a thing should have always been done. I know there are Catholic charities that do good work, the nuns are usually always sleeves up in there. So admirable.

The Salvos charity in correlation, they are a-political, I really don't think historically the churches could say such a thing, intact Anglicans came onto existence for political reasons alone.

I've seen papers from people asking society to reject the Salvos as they are out to convert the poor, but I have never seen that happening? They just give and don't ask for your soul in return. No preaching in your face "I'm right and your damned" nonsense. They ACT where others preach and bleat. What a wonderful formula for charity.
Here is such a article damning them, which I pretty much strongly disagree with. But others may have had valid experiences to write it. I've just not see any of what they list.
libcom.org...

edit on 30-1-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Yeah, Salvation Army can have a life changing effect of the down and out here in the USA. They also have facilities that provide 3 square meals a day in most metro areas.

Their thrift stores rock too! I just got a beautiful antique wardrobe for $40!

I donate to them CONSTANTLY when I'm out and about. Right now, they've been helping me with food pantry items once a month until I get on my feet more. The eviction last month dang near broke me! Not to mention, my daughter spends weekends with me, but I don't get child support, so they help. I like to help them when I can as a way to say thank you, and also to allow them to continue to give back to the community. I'm Christian, but even if I weren't, I would still donate to them, each and every time. I used to volunteer there when I attended their church up in NY and I attended a camp they have up in central NY. (Rome, I believe, but don't quote me.) You can attend until you're 14, then you can work there. At 15, I worked there as a dishwasher. Loved every minute of it! It's an excellent organization. Some small towns, however, don't have it, but they are on the outskirts.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I've seen papers from people asking society to reject the Salvos as they are out to convert the poor, but I have never seen that happening? They just give and don't ask for your should in return. No preaching in your face "I'm right your damned" nonsense. They ACT where others preach and bleat. What a wonderful formula for charity.

LOL I've had quite a lot of experience with the Salvation Army and the closest anyone there came to preaching to me was the darn Christians music that they play in the background at their thrift stores!

When I was an evangelical teenager I was paired with a true Salvation Army volunteer, who wore the whole Salvo get up, with the hooded cape, gloves and all, on a community project, and I was trying to preach my brand of "salvation" to her, and.....BOY!...did she give me an ear full of, not so subtle, "BACK OFF!"

edit on 30-1-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Hope each day isn't too hard for you, and have food in your tummy and warmth. I'm glad your daughter is with you there is wealth in that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join