It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do vegetarians/vegans differentiate between plants and animals?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Faces... animals have faces... with poor sad eyes begging you not to eat them. Plants don't have faces.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Blarneystoner

Yeah, I think this is a major evolutionary mishap of the plants. They need faces!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

An egg has to be cared for and warmed to hatch. Seeds are seeds

Many species of fish don't care for or warm their eggs.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Isn't it terrible for a person to eat things that can't escape from them (plants)?
At least animals... even domesticated ones, have a chance of escape.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Some Buddhist monks brush the path before them ... so as not to kill any insects ...
By your reckoning we should lose respect for them for living in "fantasy land"

Personally I try to respect all people even if they differ from me

Even the seemingly harmless act of drinking a glass of water kills living things. You flush bacteria from your mouth and they are killed by the gastric acid in your stomach.
Don't tell the monks.
I don't want them to stop drinking water.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Don't tell the monks.
I don't want them to stop drinking water.

They could always become "Breath air ians"

Oh wait! There could be a problem with that too ...

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Even though it's likely positive to prevent harm done on feeling of life forms, most veggies have been influenced by fear based media, usually films of worst case farms or fake videos to become a veggie.

Unlike them I would, If I would be able to, feed by instantly killing life which didn't have a bad life because of me. So I just tend to do this more. Nothing wrong with death.

Unlike plants, animals are tortured in one sided low space and given poisonous food.
However, barely anyone has thought about whether plants feel bad with poison on them and in the water they feed on.
And they also have low space and thereby less light, less nutrition, less space for their roots and very one sided surroundings to feel.

The only way is to ignore the complete system together when less policemen/soldiers will stop you or you cannot survive without torturing anything.
edit on 30-1-2015 by oneoneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: moebius

Plants do move lol

Makes you think plants are actually intelligent.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
There's nothing more sad than a predator who gets his prey from grass on the ground.
* The Human sneaks up to the Kale plant, And assassinates its * head* in order to have a pile of leaves that will be left uneatten, The human knows it has other kale plants lined up for this ritual of dismemberment. The kale plant holds no chance against the human. Who knows it will grow in winter and continue to eat it. In a bid to get away. The Kale plant flowers in order to spawn in a less hostile Enviroment. The Human vegan knows that the kale will try to make it's grand escape. And so only picks the leaves when they are 'Young' forever trapping the kale plant. Knowing full well of it's demise. The plant stops feeding and commits suicide. Where the Predator Vegan sows more seeds from the seed bank. The vegan now out of a food source, Must go to the grocery store and by some packaged organic Quinoa in order to survive the planting ordeal. The kale tho, and all of its species alike, All go through this same treatment of selective enprisonment. The only thing stopping the vegan from moving onto other species besides Brassica family. The other plants have devised ways against the vegan to prevent over eating. Fabaceae (beans) Have developed an ingenius way to ward off vegans. By secreeting poisons. This limits the ammount of Fabaceae can be consumed. Otherwise the animal or human devouring them on a daily basis would end up with some pretty nasty diseases. Many other species of plants such as night shades also do the same thing. Citric acid also prevents overeating, the Acid deteers it by becoming a motabolic deterriant, By forcing the stumach to produce Alkaline in order to decrease the acidity level. People who only eat citrus will have pancreatic cancer and acid reflux, Similar in effect to eating to much grease. Many fruits and vegtables also produce tanines. When you pick one batch the chemical smell given off alerts the other plants. Causing them to raise the poison level withing 2-5 minutes to damaging levels. This is why we have a *Food group*. Because if we only eat one species of plant it will make us sick, I believe there are some safe species out there such as carrots, and of course kale and other brassica which cannot escape the wrath of vegan culling. Trees have it down to a science tho.
You may not eat more than a couple handfull of nuts without getting sick. Trees are beautiful in that, they are okay to add to snacks, but cannot become a fulltime meal. Which is why they are somewhat last resort food item as well as delicacy.*

I'm sure vegans think that they can just mull through the world eating anything and everything they want as long as it's a plant. When their selection is quite limited if they do not encorperate any meat into the equation. Also, If a vegan eats an egg that does not make them a vegan. There is another name for it, and basically if you are okay with eggs then you should be okay with fish as well. A true vegan only sticks to specism like plants.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Why? Well, because you see, the vegetarians are much more advanced than us, spirtually, so they are very enlightened, so they know better than us. And they know better than Mother Nature a.k.a. God, as well. Seriously though? I dunno... maybe because it's possible to eat a plant without killing it? But maybe it should be ok to eat an animal if it died of old age or an injury, too? I don't really know...
edit on 1/30/2015 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

It's an expression. Like when someone has to take a toll road which is closer to them, because it's better than going out of one's way to bypass it, they might say something like "It's closer, but I have to pay either way. Ya can't win.."

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: moebius
Being somewhat flexible one could actually see plants as non-locomotive animals.

lol! Although some plants actually do have locomotion. Like the ones that crawl all over buildings.

soulwaxer

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr
Most creative post I've run into for some time.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: soulwaxer

Yeah, those nasty exceptions everywhere.

Just think of it. What if someone discovered bipedal plants. Imagine the confusion among vegetarians.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

If they were enlightened they would realize that such foods are not meant to be eaten in over abaundance.

You can eat poisonous foods, And indeed our society does eat poisonous food on a daily basis. We have been doing it for thousands of years.

The reason why you can't sit there and eat 12 full sized oranges is because of the defence mechanism within the plant itself.
It's pretty evident that alot of these plants try to deterr pests well at the same time providing for the species that is *carrying it's seeds* However plants don't want one animal lurking below it's leaves and only feasting on it. The peeling of the oranges carries quite a bit of poisons in it, Even for us. This is why we can't simply eat an orange or a banana whole.
The orange tho compared to the banana has more of its *Wax* attacked to the skin of the interior fruit itself. It is very difficult to remove because it runs along the veins. To sit there and remove just that poison alone is time consuming. Nevermind the citrus will limits you anyways and also causes teeth to become weak. It is a vital nutrient. But in overconsuming it becomes toxic.

This is why after 12 oranges you will get a stumach ache. if the plant really wanted humans hanging around under it taking all the fruit 24/7 it would provide all the nutrient humans would need in order to sustain themselves solely on the one plant. However the tree has another agenda. And it's not like the tree does not know what a human is. When ever you breath on it, Or spit saliva on it. It can detect the Co2 levels and also read the DNA of the saliva that fell on it. So the plants do know who visits it and how much of a threat they are. It is true we need a lot of these nutrients as our diet is dependant on it. But in all seriousness Plants don't like to be constantly groomed and stripped bare.
It is just as bad as killing an animal.

Killing anything in general is bad, but since we are predators it is a requirement of life. We can chose what to eat based on morality. But we would only be fooling ourselves in what would really be better for us. Enlightenment is becoming self aware and having a full view spectrum of many values together in order to see the greater truth that is for a human. Sometimes we need to gut animals and sometimes we need to pull plants out by the roots. But a true understanding would be to know that we should try to hinder the destruction of wildlife as we take from it. And we must also give back twice as much as we take in order to make more abaundance. As technology progresses so will agriculture, and genetic engineering that would.... well... Delete all those poisons and provide the perfect vegan diet by creating a plant that would sustain all of humans nutrient needs.

In the future the frakenstein mentality of the GMO haters will be lost in the wonder that will come from such feats.
Our entire enconomy currently right now is shifting because of synthetic biology/Bio-technology. We are curing more diseases faster than ever before. We are creating new organisms to solve our problems. What it means to be a humans will develop into what it truely is meant to be. We are caretakers at heart.

We are the Wardens of the land. The Wardens of Earth Safari. And it is our job to protect the species that live here, as well as creating more species to fill this land with life. We need to avert natural disasters, Such as disease when animals begin dying off in droves.
We will use bacteria to create new forms of natural gas, Via fermentation tanks such as the ones you would find at high end breweries. Where Yeast is literally cultivated with biomass such as hopes, The same process will be used to create natural gas. Which will provide energy for our transportation and heating our homes. New bio-tech will replace Oil. Because we can then synthesize oil, Say from the substance in Beat Juice and mix it with an extremely oily plant say like Olive oil, Throw in some genes that greate a geleitinous state to reserve moisture such as Aloe Vera within an olive plant. Creating an oil filled olive that could replace all Oiling needed for machinery. It's just an example. The future will bring many things to us, Of course were not gunna eat any olives like that. Strictly industrial useage. There is probably many poisonous plants currently out there that may have in the passed been genetically modified for such uses. Tho, the feild of plant studies is not quite as far along as we would like to be.

There are more species of plants on this planet than anything else. So we have surely not utilized everything to full effect. We can only list a handful of plants that we actually use, Region to Region.

Same as fungus's. Molds and fungi also provide greate future usages for us.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This question really irks me. The answer to your question is, plants actually want to be eaten . Fruit for example is eaten so the seeds can be planted. It helps plants for them to be eaten they have evolved for that purpose

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Sorry double post
edit on 30-1-2015 by maxwellinfinity because: double post

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Vegan is what some Vegans are, just as confused as Veggies. some Vegans eat snails, Veggies will eat similar seafood, perhaps snails as well, and quibble over a Carrot. Sentience is the 'Buzzword' and it's a word that simply Fecks up all the philosophy about no whole piece food, as it has no real force meaning except the opposite for anything already dead..but but. Richard Hoover ex long time of NASA talked about Crinoids..."These are animals" and how they would do a runner if something wanted to eat them..sentient?
Snails have shells, like many other species..sentient?
There is no getting away from what we need to do to survive, and that is to eat something. That's why Vegans and Veggies are in denial. It's no wonder that Adam and Evy had such a hard time!
edit on 30-1-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I have had similar thoughts myself.

My guess would be because animals have feelings and death is painful? But then do we know that plants don't? I like to think they do;when you talk to and love them they thrive on that. To me that means there's some sort of feels be it physical or spiritual/energetic.
I'm sure for some it's an ethical thing to protest the inhumane treatment of animals.
Of course what could be considered humane for plants? I suppose that could be asked as well and we'd just be going in circles.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Yeh. I don't get it either. I know that I know that I know that plants are much more advanced beings than animals. You know?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join