It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Religions the same? Why no dead celebrities?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I was browsing the web before going to sleep last night, normal routine. I came across a picture for Madonna's new album that really got me thinking.
Every time some nut job kills someone in the name of 'their' god, all I hear from a lot of people is, 'religion is all the same, we will be better off with no religion'.
So to appease some of the nut jobs many things now are carefully scrutinized before being said or published, so as to not raise the ire of certain groups.

Well, as I have noticed for a long time one group has been the brunt of MUCH mocking and abuse and we never see physical ramifications as a result of such abuse.

Here is the picture that got me thinking.

This is clearly mocking Jesus in some twisted satanic S&M pose. yet crickets......
I'll give a few more examples,
Madonna,

Britney,

Lil Wayne,

Kanye,

You get the point, there are THOUSANDS of examples FAR worse than these.

Now I know there are some of you who will say, that's just artists being artists, the more outrageous the better, it sells. OK, this IS America and it is accepted and those of us that it offends just deal with it.

Why do we never see a certain religion mocked? Or when we do, which is VERY rare, we see such blatant hypocrisy by these 'artists', who after all, are just being outrageous because it sells right?

Case in point, Katy Perry made a video dark horse.

In the light hearted, pop video, Perry plays a campy Egyptian queen who rejects suitors by zapping them with lightning and turning them into sand.

Muslims accused Perry of blasphemy and insulting Islam because at one point in her music video a man wearing a pendant with the word ‘Allah’ written in Arabic is zapped by Perry, and disintegrates. In the censored version the religious symbol is edited out.

Here is a pic of the original and the hypocritical edit.

Offended Muslims began a petition at change.org demanding YouTube remove the video. The petition received over 65,000 signatures. After the video was edited to remove the supposedly “blasphemous” scene, the originator of the petition declared victory, issuing the following post:

Guys I’m thrilled to let you all know the name of Allah has been removed from the ‘Dark Horse’ video we couldn’t have done it without everyone’s support so I thank each and every one of you deeply, our voices have been heard! God bless you all

This is the opinion from this source, and it is an atheist website before you attack the source.
www.path... eos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2014/02/katy-perrys-dark-horse-music-video-censored-after-muslim-outrage/

On the surface, the whole thing is rather silly. In the big scheme of things, a brief moment in a Katy Perry video is of little import. However, this kind of censorship does point to a dark and sinister problem facing the West. The fragile religious feelings of some Muslim extremists threaten our freedom, and that is not right. To allow a few religious extremists to impose their religious sensibilities upon the rest of us is morally and intellectually repugnant.

I could go on and on with examples of the hypocrisy, but I hope you get my point.

My question is why is this tolerated in a 'free' America? Why the acceptance of such blatant double standards?

Anyway, just my thoughts while going to sleep last night.
Peace
Steve

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I think you have a good point about this trend in mainstream pop music. Please don't put Madonna in with that though. She is doing it for a much better reason. I've read some very nice words written by her about faith. Her art is about her struggle as a very sensual woman with her faith. I see it all over her art. Her use of the bondage metaphor is actually very clever if you think about it. I have a lot of compassion for her. I like her character more than her music (not that into modern popular music). She is very complex and interesting. She often wears a Crucifix and does some nice stuff with her money.

The rest is mainly shock value. Though it does appear that all things religion are being side lined. I am not overly concerned about it yet, but appreciate the future dangers. Still nearly all the world follow one religion or another.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

Please stop idolizing other humans.

The Entertainment Industrial Complex is evil incarnate.
edit on 30-1-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I blame Islamaphobia on why making fun of Muslim culture isn't more widespread. If the Western media didn't spend so much time hyping up the "threat" that Muslims pose to the western world, people would be more apt to criticize it. Instead they either don't or don't approve of it because of fear of retaliation. This is one of the reasons I stand behind Charlie Hebdo going through with their actions. Freedom of expression applies to everything, sensibilities be damned.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   
And the people bowed and prayed to the neon god they made.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Peace
Steve

Your post totaly inspired me to cake-satan is my motor.
I hear you. Peace? You sound like you want to make fun of someone or something and can't? Am i getting this right?
Well, then embrace the peacefull nature of christians and and make a few more jesus-jokes instead. You're welcome.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Humans always have a need to follow or be led by a Shepard figure, or an alpha figure.
Celebrities are no exception, and they know that millions follow their every move.
What worries me the most is that people will literally kill, kick their own sons or daughters out of their houses, dedicate an entire day of their lives, put their entire lives faith into a guy we have no idea what he looked like or if he even did the stuff people said he did.

So what's crazier, being a big fan of Katy Perry or willing to pray to Jesus whom you never actually seen before.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

They are equally bad.

Everybody Try Some Jesus, you'll feel better.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I think the feeling of being sacrificed by TPTB is universal. I think the "symbol of the cross" is universal. Everyone sacrificed their spiritual divinity for a temporal, physical experience. And then we all "rise again".

I don't find the imagery of people putting themselves on the cross as disrespectful. People aren't supposed to be worshiping a corpse on a cross anyway. They're supposed to be worshiping their "Risen God"!

Didn't biblical Jesus say to "Take up your cross and follow me"? The way I see it, what these people are showing is the blatant corruption and manipulation of message of the cross that curses Christianity every day.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

Please stop idolizing other humans.

The Entertainment Industrial Complex is evil incarnate.

Well I'm not doing that. I don't idolise anybody. I take an interest in certain human beings. Madonna was once a human being I took an interest in for a while. There are many prolific people in history, artists and writers who have been artistic company to me, who I have related very personally to.

I assure you in my being there is no idolising. Surely you will allow me the freedom to say I like Madonna as a person, or the little I know of her. I would be telling a lie if I said other wise.

I like to compliment people. I like to spread good vibes in this hate pit of life, for those who I feel something for. I will build up their confidence with affection and appreciation because I deem them worthy of it.

You accuse me of idolising humans. Well I do idolise humanity in a sense. I like my fellow human beings very much. I am a humanist. Some people I like are poor and some are very rich. I do not judge people on their status. Some celebrities I have a particular fondness for. That is because they have taught me something useful. And you know I LOVE Elvis Presley. Is that ok with you? Am I allowed to do that?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Nope, Elvis was a byproduct of the Entertainment Industrial Complex. He is just another head of the beast that is long term conditioning.

I'm not trying to antagonize you directly, it's the existence of the materialist system as a whole over the long term which has led to the worship & idolization of other humans, & it is, at the risk of being redundant, evil incarnate.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I suppose I don't want to regress and go back to killing or punishing people who don't believe in my faith.
In stead I feel pride that this freedom of expression exists.
That said I find most of the entertainer-god-complex imagery pretty lame.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Thanks, and don't get me wrong, my main point is why, in America, is such hypocrisy tolerated?

I am not here saying all the blasphemy must stop! I support freedom for artists, even if I am offended by it.

It is a slippery slope when we start saying someone's ideas are NOT allowed.

Why do they give in to certain protests and not others?

Strictly because they know they will not be physically harmed by certain groups?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
I feel pride that this freedom of expression exists.

Me, too. The freedom exists for these people to express themselves. By the same token, the freedom exists to disagree with it and even petition the artists. What the artists do with that is their business. So, Katy Perry's people decided to remove the pendant. Their choice.

This expression wouldn't be legally permitted in many other countries.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I blame Islamaphobia on why making fun of Muslim culture isn't more widespread. If the Western media didn't spend so much time hyping up the "threat" that Muslims pose to the western world, people would be more apt to criticize it. Instead they either don't or don't approve of it because of fear of retaliation. This is one of the reasons I stand behind Charlie Hebdo going through with their actions. Freedom of expression applies to everything, sensibilities be damned.

So maybe the underlying cause is a hidden agenda from TPTB to propagate perpetual violence and wars which in the end makes them richer?

It makes sense to me, sadly. I had not considered it in that big of a picture.

Everything I look at anymore is appearing to be more and more like some twisted illusion.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

Nope, Elvis was a byproduct of the Entertainment Industrial Complex. He is just another head of the beast that is long term conditioning.

I'm not trying to antagonize you directly, it's the existence of the materialist system as a whole over the long term which has led to the worship & idolization of other humans, & it is, at the risk of being redundant, evil incarnate.

Hahahaha! Poor Elvis! I tell you there have been times when Elvis just in that beautiful voice and those gorgeous gospel songs he sung that makes my blood run! There are so many early childhood memories attached to him on a very deep level.

I have read all about his life in great detail. For all his sins he tells a beautiful story of human triumph and tragedy. His generosity was so lovely. Yet he had darkness and demons like we all do.

He was like you say a money machine in the entertainment complex. It is not a very healthy industry for the celebrities. They end up being the greatest victims in so many cases. We know how many talented individuals have died way too early. It is here though and every so often an interesting artist comes along with something new to say.

I thought Amy Winehouse was amazing. I can't listen to her anymore without bursting into tears. In her voice alone she achieved something very beautiful. It seems she paid a terrible price. I am sure she would want us to listen to her songs though and remember her. It is a huge part of western life and some of the artists I identify with have reached my ears via this medium.

It is me giving you stars by the way, so I'm happy that you challenge me and allow me to further explain.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I could go on and on with examples of the hypocrisy, but I hope you get my point.

I know, thanks for the topic.

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Why do they give in to certain protests and not others?

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
Peace
Steve

Your post totaly inspired me to cake-satan is my motor.
I hear you. Peace? You sound like you want to make fun of someone or something and can't? Am i getting this right?
]

Actually I have a very twisted sense of humor and enjoy all forms of it, even the various south park episodes that take on religion. I recognize the BS in organized man made religions, and I think south park is dead on in many of its episodes.

But in this case I am not looking to poke fun at anyone in my OP.
I am amazed at the varied interpretations people get from typed text. It is one of the things I like about ATS, the many varied responses, I have learned a lot from opinions I had never considered.

I was just seriously wondering why the hypocrisy is tolerated in this instance, and in no way meant to pick on anybody.

ETA: and yes, I did watch your video, even his little talk around the 3:30 mark. And I can find the humor in it. While I choose to believe in Jesus, I also accept the fact that not everyone feels that way. And that's fine.

To many people take themselves way to seriously, and try to force their perceived reality on others. I am not one of those.

Nor do I enjoy making fun of others.
edit on 1 30 2015 by stosh64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Everything falls into that big picture category of control. We are but pawns in a multi leveled, multi tiered chess tournament.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join