It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need info on targeting systems on ASCM's such as in Sunburn, Yakhont and Brahmos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Reading several articles about the supersonic ASCM's on for example the links below, I have a question which I cannot find the answer.
www.ascfusa.org...
www.ausairpower.net...

The Sunburn, Yakhont and Brahmos can all be programmed to follow a certain path while going to their target. The intelligent homing system of the Yakhont with it's active radar can distinguish targets by a ranking (e.g. a carrier is more important than a frigate), also it's clever que-ing software will avoid unnecessary hits on targets when a salvo styled attack has been initiated.

My question is this:
Suppose I know approximately where a task force of vessels lies, but I don't have a radar lock, can I just type in the coordinates of the suspected area into the ASCM and let the "fire-and-forget abilities" do it's work; i.e. can the software and active radar routines on an ASCM destroy the vessel(s) without a "lock" in the initial launching phase?

Thanks in advance,

Blobber

[edit on 15-12-2004 by Blobber]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
If your looking for info try:
missile.index.ne.jp...

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
ROTC guy thanks for the links.

I have found some info on the Harpoon missile on a different page:

vectorsite.net
No matter how the Harpoon is launched, it is directed to a preprogrammed target area by an INS, where it conducts an autonomous search for a naval target. A number of different search patterns can be programmed into the missile, which not only increase the probability of detecting the target but make it harder to trace the missile's flight path back to its launcher. In any case, the Harpoon sweeps through the pattern while hunting for a target using a radar seeker. When the Harpoon finds a target, it drops down to wave height and homes in on it. The missile can strike the target broadside or perform a popup attack. While the guidance system is sophisticated, it is also indiscriminate, and the Harpoon cannot be launched into a target area where friendly forces are operating.

www.vectorsite.net...

I assume the more modern Sunburn and Yakhont have these capabilities too. Having an autonomous search and destroy capability for a designated area with these missiles, have dangerous implications in the Persian Gulf if the US goes to war with Iran.

Blobber

[edit on 16-12-2004 by Blobber]

new topics

join