It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Immorality Of Eating Meat When There Are Vegi Alternatives Do People Care?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

There is a lot that we could theoretically discuss. But there is nothing definitve to make of it. It is all going to boil down to personal choice. Same as whether or not you want biscuits or yeast rolls. Or a piece of bacon instead.

Biscuits. Yeast rolls are not a choice, because yeast is a living organism, and baking it kills it.

That's wholly apart from the killing of all the baby wheat plants to make the flour with - the yeast is baked ALIVE! What a way to go!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Whats laughable is your inability to discuss the OP of the thread which is to discuss the morality or immorality of killing animals for meat when there are vegi alternatives without some sort of useless insult.

Wait......i brought out the hypocrisy of your statement by pointing out the fact that the very vegan alternatives that you pointed out have ANIMAL EGGS and proteins in them .......

And im off topic?

Give it a break im starting to think this is a troll thread

you give the same canned responses to every single person on here this thread, while wilfully ignoring direct questions....

We can go back through here and i bet youve given the same 3 basic responses almost to the letter to everyone.....

And please, stop with the victim stance with your "insult" line......you started off your whole thread as insulting and you continue to do so while willfully ignoring every rebuttal in your thread.....
edit on 1/30/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: akushla99

Its not an excuse if its accurate.......

If its accurate its a rebuttal

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I wouldn't call meat a drug, come on man that won't fly. It's not a drug, it's a type of food that we as humans have eaten for all of recorded history. Often we've needed the nutrients and it isn't until very recently we've even had the luxury of a cheap and readily available substitute.

Trying to wean humanity off meat by nagging is certainly a major undertaking.

Is this the next front in the war of political correctness?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

It is my moral and ethical duty to survive and propagate my species. And as a species we are omnivores, regardless of your unhealthy views. And I wish that my species not only survives, but thrives. As far as I am concerned, your offshoot species can wither and die on the vine...which it will.

Does that count?

Your offshoot species?
WTF are you going on about?
Wither and die on the vine?
Unhealthy views?
I wish my species survives?

Your absolute hilarious post is beyond ludicrous speed its in the dimention of plad. . . .
Look how off topic your comment really is or how disrespectful your post is, I think posting to the OP would be better served, dealing with ethics and morality vs immorality of eating meat when alternatives are available. Do you even respect the T&C of ATS at all? Why come to a website to insult and post this kind of off topic stuff? You should know better. . .

edit on 30-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Its not an excuse if its accurate.......

If its accurate its a rebuttal

Then your gripe is NOT with me...it is with the worldwide bodies who report on it...tell them how 'accurate' you are.

Å99

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Whats laughable is your inability to discuss the OP of the thread which is to discuss the morality or immorality of killing animals for meat when there are vegi alternatives without some sort of useless insult.

Wait......i brought out the hypocrisy of your statement by pointing out the fact that the very vegan alternatives that you pointed out have ANIMAL EGGS and proteins in them .......
And im off topic?
Give it a break im starting to think this is a troll thread
you give the same canned responses to every single person on here this thread, while wilfully ignoring direct questions....
We can go back through here and i bet youve given the same 3 basic responses almost to the letter to everyone.....
And please, stop with the victim stance with your "insult" line......you started off your whole thread as insulting and you continue to do so while willfully ignoring every rebuttal in your thread.....

If you cant post on topic perhaps this thread isnt the right one for you, just saying if you dont want to speak about the morality of eating meat when there are alternatives available then you really dont have much to say other than insult after insult of one off topic post after another.

Then you showed your lack of knowledge with simple things like eggs saying they were little babies, its just unbelievable that you didnt know eggs wernt fertalized.

Then wanting to shift the discussion away from the OP to talk about something you want to talk about, which has nothing to do with anything other than an insult rather than discussing the OP of ethics and morality of eating animals when there are alternative substitutes in an intelligent manner.

Then make a useless troll accusation which if your not posting to the OP trolling is actually what your doing. Discuss the morality and ethics in an intelligent manner if you want to have a reasonable discussion.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

Were not talking about animals in the wild eating other animals, disease, hormones, here on this thread we are talking about the ethics and morality of killing animals for food when we dont need to because of our advances in technology.

Ah.

I see.

I should bow out now then, because the topic was not sufficiently defined for me earlier on. I thought it was about the ethics of killing to eat. that's a no-brainer for me, because I AM an animal in the wild. I have my own part to play in this cycle.

I cannot fathom your alleged "alternatives" - there aren't any out here.

90% of the world can say the same thing - it's ain't out here. Not all of us have one of those yuppie-food tofu soy protein stores handy. Matter of fact, most of us DON'T.

But we got critters and plants plenty handy!

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I can't read the whole thread, but I can say to lead by example.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod

I wouldn't call meat a drug, come on man that won't fly. It's not a drug, it's a type of food that we as humans have eaten for all of recorded history. Often we've needed the nutrients and it isn't until very recently we've even had the luxury of a cheap and readily available substitute.

Trying to wean humanity off meat by nagging is certainly a major undertaking.

Is this the next front in the war of political correctness?

I know...it's scurrilous in the extreme to call it a drug...nevertheless (and I have met many, many sickly looking vegetarians, who really shouldn't have gone down that path) the protein required is ultimately and adequately obtainable without killing an animal. All those who, across these 20 pages, have failed to address any credible reason (bar 'I love it') to account for their out of proportion replies that have attacked the OP from page 1.

If you love meat - great!
If you hunt for meat in the wild to eat - great!
If you buy your choice cuts in a foam tray covered in plastic or vacuum wrapped in plastic and don't know how it's raised, killed and presented before you in the supermarket aisle, and/or what it takes to finally reach your mouth (productionwise to satisfy)...then, so be it...

Does the massive scale production of meat contribute (like car/truck/factory emissions) to any deleterious effects?

Å99

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I don't find the situation optimal either. But right now it is what it is, it will be hard to change.

I hope that technology could be a solution, as mentioned earlier matter replicators would change everything but is probably a pretty long way away.

Growing organs, growing meat. If one could grow a fully functioning heart then I don't imagine the meat produced by the same methods would be any inferior to the meat we eat right now, in fact it could probably be optimized or specialized in different ways.

Not trying to be crude or anything but talking about this right now have me thinking about hamburgers and steak. Can't help it, it is what it is. The Earth provides.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Again , please feel free to point out where I was off topic.......and then hit the report button, If anything I have said was off topic then the mods will gladly remove the post.....

However they have yet to do that, so obviously they are not off topic.......

Just because you do not like the answers doesnt mean its off topic......

Your point is the morality of meat eaters......then you list the alternatives.......follow closesly now.....

Then someone posted the ingredients to those alternatives you were on your high horse about.....

The ingredients turned out to have animal products in them.....

Get it?

Then you showed your lack of knowledge with simple things like eggs saying they were little babies, its just unbelievable that you didnt know eggs wernt fertalized.

My lack of knowledge? You still know thats animal proteins right? You still know that eggs are not considered vegan dont you?

You still know that eggs are harvested in masse in giant farms, violating your proposed "ethics" right?

You try to sit on this soap box but then when youre called out on your own hypocrisy you try to move the goal post...

edit on 1/30/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingFox
I can't read the whole thread, but I can say to lead by example.

Well if you did look through the thread you would see alot of useless insults and very few posters will actually address the ethics and morality vs immorality of killing animals for food when we have alternatives.

I think this may be because people dont want to see themselves as doing unethical immoral things, myself included, or even discuss that we may doing immoral things, its hard to see wrong in something you feel is justified, even if it isnt really good from another point of view.

As to leading by example thats a tough one, I dont know if we need leaders, within each of us is a moral compass which is a kind of divine leader so to say that gives us our own ideas of right and wrong. That inner voice that says yes do that its good, or no dont do that, its wrong is the only leader we ever truly need IMHO.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

If you cant post on topic perhaps this thread isnt the right one for you, just saying if you dont want to speak about the morality of eating meat when there are alternatives available then you really dont have much to say other than insult after insult of one off topic post after another.

This would be my last post in this thread, as it seems that this is as close as you're going to get to specifying what the topic of it IS, and any points raised against what the topic appears to be are either blown off or ignored - never addressed.

Eating meat is in no way "immoral". You have utterly failed to give a rational explanation as to why it would be.

There are no viable alternatives available, so the point is moot - maybe we'll address this again if viable alternatives ever become available. Until that time comes, i will remain a part of life, and not feel the least bit bad about it.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   

it is paramount to the conversation, though. If the "alternatives" you are suggesting are not really alternatives....then is there really a choice?

That is the question, correct? Or, rather, a qualifier? Since there are alternatives...but if the alternatives are not as viable as you presume (since humans who can actually taste need variety)....is there even a discussion to be had?

Soy acts like estrogen in the body. It isn't like there aren't risks associated with included increased amounts of soy in your diet. We aren't talkinga bout an occasional edamame here. To include soy in a vegetarian lifestyle means you expose yourself to the risks of that soy increase.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Again , please feel free to point out where I was off topic.......and then hit the report button, If anything I have said was off topic then the mods will gladly remove the post.....
However they have yet to do that, so obviously they are not off topic.......
Just because you do not like the answers doesnt mean its off topic......
Your point is the morality of meat eaters......then you list the alternatives.......follow closesly now.....

Then someone posted the ingredients to those alternatives you were on your high horse about.....
The ingredients turned out to have animal products in them.....
Get it?

My lack of knowledge? You still know thats animal proteins right? You still know that eggs are not considered vegan dont you?
You still know that eggs are harvested in masse in giant farms, violating your proposed "ethics" right?
You try to sit on this soap box but then when youre called out on your own hypocrisy you try to move the goal post...

Dude be serious if I reported every off topic post and insult in this thread most of the posts would be gone. I figured I would let you guys blow off your steam as its obvious to have touched on a sensitive subject that many dont have the ability to intelligently discuss without loseing thier cool and uttering insults like your high horse and such other useless retorts. Hey I dont expect too much from people so Im not very dissapointed at posters inability to discuss the topic of alternatives to the slaughter of animals for meat. As to your flippant remark about me being on a high horse for eating eggs which are unfertalized animal byproducts, I dont feel high and mighty bout that at all. I aint perfect and the thread isnt about my perfection now is it.

I drink milk, are you going to call me high and mighty go on a tirade for that too or are you going to deal with the topic of slaughtering animals for food when we have alternatives.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

it is paramount to the conversation, though. If the "alternatives" you are suggesting are not really alternatives....then is there really a choice?

That is the question, correct? Or, rather, a qualifier? Since there are alternatives...but if the alternatives are not as viable as you presume (since humans who can actually taste need variety)....is there even a discussion to be had?

Soy acts like estrogen in the body. It isn't like there aren't risks associated with included increased amounts of soy in your diet. We aren't talkinga bout an occasional edamame here. To include soy in a vegetarian lifestyle means you expose yourself to the risks of that soy increase.

Well if you want to look at it that way which is your god given right go ahead, however please do note you dont need to eat soy if you dont want to. As I said before never had a health porblem in my life and ive eaten more soy than you can imagine. I think it could be the GMO pesticideds they put not only in soy but in various different products. As to the risks of soy increase I have to call BS from my point of view, because I am perfectly fine, no ill effects at all ever, nor have I ever herd of anyone to have any negative effect from a diet of soy. Perhaps that was a study with a certain strain of soy or something. Also meat companies may profit from smearing soy with propaganda, not saying its happening but could be, as they would be the only ones to benefit from such a scenario.
Of course if for some reason soy wasnt edible and the FDA stopped it from being sold there are plenty of vegitables so the whole point to soy conversation is mute.

With 3d printing of food and the future of meat alternative manufacturing I would imagine various products may be comming out in the near future, so that would also apply to the OP.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Eating meat is part of life. Not eating is a choice. I LOVE to eat meat. Red, bloody, rare meat. I've been eating meat all my life, my ancestors have been eating meat since the beginning after killing their first game. Animals kill other animals to eat meat. Watch lions or wolves or another predator kill an animal for the food, it's not usually a pretty site. Lions generally suffocate their prey. Constricting snakes method of killing is not a very pleasant way to die. What about the lizards with toxic saliva that will at times just bite an animal causing infection, then wait hours or days for that animal to die an agonizing death before eating.

I don't think eating meat/killing an animal is immoral. It's a way of life. That said, I don't purchase fast food, buy meat from a store, and I rarely eat at a restaurant. I eat venison that I've shot and butchered myself during hunting season. Eggs and chickens that I raise. and I get my beef and pork from my girlfriends parents who own a farm. I know nothing I eat suffers, and never goes to waste. The livestock is not raised on artificial feeds.

I could never give up meat. And keep the imitation meats away from me! I love my vegetables, I eat them with every meal. As for 3d printed food? Yeah let's not. Save that for the starving countries that can't raise livestock or farm.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
If I may ask, who made you (or anyone else) the moral compass for others? Personally, I think eating plants only is immoral considering they are defenseless and cannot avoid being harvested and killed. At least an animal is mobile enough and has the opportunity to escape or fight back...but not plants. That type of killing is immoral to me. So, why do you feel it necessary to do this immoral act?

edit on 1/30/2015 by Krakatoa because: Fixed spelling and other fat-finger errors

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Judging by the deadly health foods I 've seen in the passed,GOD knows what would be in the printing formulas to keep neutrients VIABLE .
Morality in this reguard is entirely subjective and a bit restricted to a demographic or location. Beef is such a staple in the human diet killing a cow is equally pedestrian.
Not to mention how in places PEOPLE are even more common to kill ,sometimes WAY easier than cattle.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join