It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Immorality Of Eating Meat When There Are Vegi Alternatives Do People Care?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
its only immoral if you perceive it to be immoral if not grill on.

Devour to survive its the way its always been.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Well, this has been fun, but time to go.

I need to go club the baby seal we are eating for dinner.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: akushla99

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

a reply to: akushla99

It's really not that simple. Human instinct is to eat meat along with vegetables. We are omnivorous by nature. Some humans are able to overcome those instincts and eat only vegetables, which is fine. I certainly won't belittle vegetarians or vegans for their lifestyle, but I do see an increasing trend of vegans belittle meat eaters for their lifestyle.

Sorry, if you're a vegetarian/vegan that does not make you better than anyone else. It makes you a person who made a choice, and nothing more.

No. It's not that simple.

We have not developed to the point where killing an animal to live is necessary. Every other point relates to a craving addiction.

Waaay back on page (somewhere near the beginning of the thread) I posted something that was summarily ignored. I have no 'beef' with meat eaters, except when the reason for their choice is a null point, and related to an addiction of sorts. Then, the same excuses come out...

Å99
I take issue with you calling it an addiction, is my point. It's not an addiction. It's instinct.

Take whatever 'issue' you want. Can you give it up?

Many people do not have the 'instinct'...

Å99
Yeah, I can give it up. I choose not to. It's personal choice, not an addiction. I enjoy Sushi. I enjoy a nice steak. I also enjoy the varied and wonderful veggies that make up the Japanese diet. I'm fond of food of all sorts. Am I addicted to veggies because I eat them alongside meat? Do I call your choice to eat only vegetables an addiction? No. I call it what it is, a choice.

I'm not asking you to give up meat

...i'm asking you to give me a reason beyond 'I like it'...

Å99
Well, one reason humans used to consume meat was because it was packed with energy and protein to support our highly advanced brains. When humanity was a hunter/gather civilization before the advent of agriculture, meat was a necessity because it allowed us to maintain our super-brains and ALLOW the mental capacity to learn to farm land. Now in the modern world it is largely a choice, but it is only a choice NOW because we had those advanced brains that ran on meat protein to allow us to rise above it.

Is that enough of a reason for you? Without meat we'd be pretty dumb creatures.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

An addict doesn't need or crave a drugs 'every day.

Then they are not an addict.

You cook. You cant make vegetables 'unboring'?

I can cook just about anything that walks or crawls and make it taste yummy, including vegetables. But life without meat is life not worth living.

Adios, compadres, comer mas carne.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I have no idea where you are going with the whole 'addiction' aspect.

I do not eat or crave meat everyday. However, I like to eat meat because it is delicious and a world of solely eating vegetative matter (unless it was that Schiavo person) would be boring as all hell.

Å99
You must not know many addicts. Every addict I've had the displeasure of knowing, their entire lives revolved around getting that next fix.
edit on 30-1-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
No ones gonNA take my Native American perspective? Man they had some good meatz

Free Range and Organic too ...
edit on 30-1-2015 by artistpoet because: Typo

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

It's really not that simple. Human instinct is to eat meat along with vegetables. We are omnivorous by nature. Some humans are able to overcome those instincts and eat only vegetables, which is fine. I certainly won't belittle vegetarians or vegans for their lifestyle, but I do see an increasing trend of vegans belittle meat eaters for their lifestyle.

Sorry, if you're a vegetarian/vegan that does not make you better than anyone else. It makes you a person who made a choice, and nothing more.

We have not developed to the point where killing an animal to live is necessary. Every other point relates to a craving addiction.

Waaay back on page (somewhere near the beginning of the thread) I posted something that was summarily ignored. I have no 'beef' with meat eaters, except when the reason for their choice is a null point, and related to an addiction of sorts. Then, the same excuses come out...

Å99
I take issue with you calling it an addiction, is my point. It's not an addiction. It's instinct.

Å99
Yeah, I can give it up. I choose not to. It's personal choice, not an addiction. I enjoy Sushi. I enjoy a nice steak. I also enjoy the varied and wonderful veggies that make up the Japanese diet. I'm fond of food of all sorts. Am I addicted to veggies because I eat them alongside meat? Do I call your choice to eat only vegetables an addiction? No. I call it what it is, a choice.

Å99
Well, one reason humans used to consume meat was because it was packed with energy and protein to support our highly advanced brains. When humanity was a hunter/gather civilization before the advent of agriculture, meat was a necessity because it allowed us to maintain our super-brains and ALLOW the mental capacity to learn to farm land. Now in the modern world it is largely a choice, but it is only a choice NOW because we had those advanced brains that ran on meat protein to allow us to rise above it.

Kind of a leading question. Are vegetarians dumb?

Å99

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I have no idea where you are going with the whole 'addiction' aspect.

I do not eat or crave meat everyday. However, I like to eat meat because it is delicious and a world of solely eating vegetative matter (unless it was that Schiavo person) would be boring as all hell.

Å99
You must not know many addicts. Every addict I've had the displeasure of knowing, their entire lives revolved around getting that next fix.

You might wanna reread some of your posts...

Å99

link   
Some funny stuff here but I think its time for one of these:

To the OP...

Which would you prefer?

And now i feel like watching the film.
edit on CSTFri, 30 Jan 2015 15:48:10 -06000000003103x010x0 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

link   
Everyone knows that the meat industry is horrific, that's why people become so aggressively defensive about it.

a reply to: FormOfTheLord

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Å99

Å99

Å99

Å99
You asked for a reason. I gave you one. I neither insinuated nor implied that vegetarians are dumb, you seem to be manufacturing attacks that aren't there to justify something.

For what? You simply got the definition of an addict incorrect. Addicts need their fix daily. That's what makes them an addict. You'll never meet a heroin junkie that says "Ah I can go a day or two without it."

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

I didn't say cheaper for you. I said environmentally friendly. There are a lot of things that are "green" that are more expensive to the individual than other ways of doing things.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Å99

Å99

Å99

Å99
You asked for a reason. I gave you one. I neither insinuated nor implied that vegetarians are dumb, you seem to be manufacturing attacks that aren't there to justify something.

For what? You simply got the definition of an addict incorrect. Addicts need their fix daily. That's what makes them an addict. You'll never meet a heroin junkie that says "Ah I can go a day or two without it."

Not all gamblers gamble every day...

'Attacks'?...really?
The majority of the posts from pro-meaters has ONLY been attacks...

Å99
edit on 30-1-2015 by akushla99 because: Addd

edit on 30-1-2015 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I didn't say cheaper for you. I said environmentally friendly. There are a lot of things that are "green" that are more expensive to the individual than other ways of doing things.

If you wanna talk "greener". Cattle raising is one of the largest contributers to greenhouse gasses than many other things. Methane produced via either a cow's natural digestive processes, and the management of a cow's manure contributes much more to global warming than irrigation and farming crops.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Å99

Å99

Oh good grief!

At this point you simply sound like you are creating a fake issue to give yourself some kind of phony moral superiority.

And you are basically creating a kafkatrap.

You make the outlandish statement that people who eat meat are somehow addicted to it.

You watch people flail around in denial.

Then you use their outraged denials as proof of your assertion.

It is a logical fallacy and an example of circular reasoning. See if we don't admit to being guilty of "meat addiction" we must, ergo be guilty of meat addiction. After all, don't the 12 step programs all say the first step acknowledging a problem is admitting you have one, and here we are in such flagrant denial ...

Go twist someone else in your game. I refuse to play.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

If you wanna talk "greener". Cattle raising is one of the largest contributers to greenhouse gasses than many other things. Methane produced via either a cow's natural digestive processes, and the management of a cow's manure contributes much more to global warming than irrigation and farming crops.

...corroborated by statistical evidence...
'I just lurvv it' corroborated by what?

Å99

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Å99

Å99

Oh good grief!

At this point you simply sound like you are creating a fake issue to give yourself some kind of phony moral superiority.

And you are basically creating a kafkatrap.

You make the outlandish statement that people who eat meat are somehow addicted to it.

You watch people flail around in denial.

Then you use their outraged denials as proof of your assertion.

It is a logical fallacy and an example of circular reasoning. See if we don't admit to being guilty of "meat addiction" we must, ergo be guilty of meat addiction. After all, don't the 12 step programs all say the first step acknowledging a problem is admitting you have one, and here we are in such flagrant denial ...

Go twist someone else in your game. I refuse to play.

You pretty much made my point. An alchoholic will twist it too

What do you SEE written by meat eaters?

Å99

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Å99

Å99

Å99

Å99

Not all gamblers gamble every day...

'Attacks'?...really?
The majority of the posts from pro-meaters has ONLY been attacks...

Å99
I see you make the gambling addiction comparison again. Gambling is a behavioral addiction, like sex addiction or gaming addiction. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that you compared eating meat to a DRUG addiction, which is a CHEMICAL addiction in addition to a behavioral addiction. It is patently unfair to compare eating meat to a chemical addiction. Can the case be made for a behavioral addiction? Sure. Some people are habitual carnivores. My brother in law hates veggies. He's certainly addicted to meat, but it's behavioral, not chemical as you seem to have asserted.

Regarding attacks, I have not attacked you once. Rather, I have simply supplied counter-points to your assertions. Have others been less than diplomatic in this thread? Certainly, but then again, the OP of the thread could also be viewed as an attack on meat eaters, so I certainly won't take omnivores to task for responding in kind.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

It's a good thing we saved the world from all those buffalo farts them ...

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

My post was meant to be mean. I interpreted the OP and following their posts as condescending and placing themselves above us omnivores. I take issue with that.

If the OP wants to live a Vegan lifestyle, I'm cool with that. but don't belittle me because I like meat...see what I'm saying?

I only eat meat 2-3 times a week and when I do, it's top of the line. That includes fish, pork and poultry by the way. And I know where it came from. Because I either hunted it, caught it or butchered it.

I have a vegan sister who is no longer invited to family get togethers because she turns meals into a war on omnivores. We can no longer stand her preaching. She also has other causes that she harps on if we do manage to steer her away from the food topic. Unfortunately, I have run into her tribe entirely to many times and am sick of it. So I'm fighting back so to speak.

If they want to hoop and holler, so be it, but they best expect the same back at them.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join