It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Face of Punishment in the Public Schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Some alarming things are going on in the Nation's schools.

Punishment "methods" seem to be a bit harsh when handcuffs and duffelbags and padded rooms and scream rooms are common tools.

What is the problem?

The "teachers" and the teaching methods?

The parents?

The mixed American culture?

Very alarming that the best and brightest can't seem to solve society's failures

Handcuffs, Leg Shackles and Tasers: The New Face of Punishment in the Public Schools

Roughly 1500 kids are tied up or locked down every day by school officials in the United States.

At least 500 students are locked up in some form of solitary confinement every day, whether it be a padded room, a closet or a duffel bag. In many cases, parents are rarely notified when such methods are used.

On any given day when school is in session, kids who “act up” in class are pinned facedown on the floor, locked in dark closets, tied up with straps, bungee cords and duct tape, handcuffed, leg shackled, tasered or otherwise restrained, immobilized or placed in solitary confinement in order to bring them under “control.”

Education?

or is it

Confinement and Indoctrination?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
That sounds a lot like something a DA should pursue as unlawful confinement or kidnapping. It is truly horrifying what passes for sanity in today's world.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I had no idea it was so prolific.

Then again some of these "kids" are really difficult to handle and a danger to themselves and others (I'm mostly talking teens, here.). What viable short term solution is there for discipline?

Clearly detention isn't cutting it any more.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This was meant for the jokes section wasn't it . Please tell me it was . Duffel bags . Tasers .

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

This was meant for the jokes section wasn't it . Please tell me it was . Duffel bags . Tasers .

No it's no joke.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is all part of your oh so politically correct mentality...I hope everyones enjoying it....

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I figured it was not a joke .Most of these things are wrong on so many levels . Padded room while waiting for an ambulance maybe . Are they qualified to use tazers . Is that an optional course at teachers college .

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

i have not heard of duffle bags thing but i did read about some taser action on a 12 yr old black girl in cincinnati my town
but it was the cops that doid it not the teachers.
i think there are 2 problems here if your a teacher and cant out smart these rowdy kids and cops and tasers get involved mabey
you should not be a teacher anymore.
But on the flip side of the coin if you raise so much heck in school that cops and tasers get involved then there is no discipline at home .If you knew you were going to get a butt wipping or all your cool stuff took away i doubt you would act like that .
But then there are the kids with emotional and mental issues with them just good luck

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Bringing up the subject of how schools are mistreating kids is a "politically correct" agenda? Would you allow a school to treat your kids this way?
edit on 30-1-2015 by DAVID64 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
After the recent vandalism at the ski lodges here in Michigan by college students, I would hope that using those techniques on those spoiled students, who have ruined their opportunities for a higher education, may have helped. Extreme as it may seem, perhaps this incident would have never happened if they have had some of this treatment when they needed it.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This is a big issue and nothing but....

creek creek

Where's all the intellectuals ????

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Maybe we shouldn't be forcing kids to attend these institutions for a decade-plus against their will for no good reason. Or, I don't know, maybe freedom is just a crazy idea and The State really does know best. Nevermind.
edit on 30-1-2015 by muchmadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

The New Face of Punishment in the Public Schools

Things are bad, when a school official can miss treat or abuse a student and get a raise or promotion. But when Joe public let's their kids walk to the park or to the corner store said kids wind up in the custody of DFACS and the parents are thrown in jail for letting kids be kids.

Who ever thought up that the kids belong to the state can shove it up their tail rapped in barb wire sideways.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Recess. It was the worst mistake ever reducing it or even eliminating it. Does anyone really expect a child to be able to sit still for eight hours in a day and not cause a ruckus? Kids should have an hour minumum to go out and expend that energy. And that's on top of gym class.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: hillbilly4rent

Who ever thought up that the kids belong to the state can shove it up their tail rapped in barb wire sideways.

Melissa Harris-Perry can be the first to line up for that...

Kids don't belong to their parents. Kids belong to the community! /sarcasm
edit on 1/30/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Maybe we should start wondering why so many kids are lacking both a mommy and a daddy these days. And, when they do have a mommy and a daddy, why in so many cases those families are either unloving or not raising the kids in the way they should go.

Then, I wonder why it's such a big deal to let parents give an occasional swat to a small child. We used to do that but these days it's abuse and now we have to tase and duct tape them in school.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It's the state's job to disicpline children. Not the parents. That's why its abuse for a parent, and discipline for the state. The government does not want parents educating their children anymore. They don't want parents teaching their kids to think for themselves.
edit on 1/30/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

What has changed that makes kids so much more a problem now? One thing that might be part of it is not spending much quality time with parents. Go home watch tv, play computer games, do homework, talk to net friends etc etc shove food in, sleep. Then the next day they try and get the poor teacher's attention on their parenting needs, which is too much to do for so many students at once.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
You serious about home schooling your children yet?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I'm sure the Parents play a part in this whole scenario.

But I think the failures of the over-Educated administrators is more the cause.

Most public school systems are schlock operations riddled with theft and corruption.

The brighter the administrators are, the bigger the failures.

There is no sane excuse for this.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join