It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

National Right to Work Act Introduced to End Forced Union Dues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

No the generalization does not fit. I just posted an example of a union does not fit your generalization. You always ask weighted general questions....and it's not just this thread.

There is no good answer to your 'direct question', given that I live in a RTW state, I have never experienced a union that forced people to join and pay dues. If there are unions that are forcing someone to join and pay dues for jobs like a dishwasher, then they need to go.

The generalization that all unions 'need to force people to join and pay dues' is an invaid one. I also never wrote Unions are great. There are good Unions out there.

edit on 30-1-2015 by jrod because: 's

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I never stated that ALL do.

I asked a question, and in the best dramatic response you could muster, you retort with crap.

So, if a Union forces people to join and/or pay dues. they need to go away? Is that your statement?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
How about stopping the non-voluntary donation to FED to these private corporations?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I guess a fair days work for a fair days pay is unacceptable now. That's why you need to cut out the middle man. No man is going to do that to me. Create your tomorrow. Change your thinking. We have the tools to learn right here at your fingertips. If at first you don't succeed, try try again. You may not be able to compete but you can make a living running your own business. I'd rather work at something that was my idea than cry about being used or needing another person's voice to represent me. It's always leaders and followers. It was easy to get complacent when jobs were a dime a dozen. You can't afford that anymore. Good luck.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
There is a time and a place for unions, but they get corrupt when you are forced into one.

I remember the so-called services my teachers union gave me ... endless live calls and pamphlets telling me that I had to vote for John Kerry because my union had determined who the best candidate was for me to vote for. Guess I know where my dues went to. It was only the very loosest definition of "legal protection."

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
One beef some people have with "Right to Work" is the problem of workforces that are unionized and also have non-members working the same jobs under a contract.

The non-members don't join and don't pay dues. Only the members do.

But the non-members get all the same contracted benefits.

I was hoping someone would address this. The union argues on your (and your coworkers) behalf, but your non-union coworkers get the same benefits without paying. How is that fair to the union members?

Furthermore, I keep seeing posts about unions not working for the workers or being too close to management...do you people not vote in your unions? I mean...maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but you vote for who represents you. If you don't like them, then you bring it up at the union meetings and argue why they shouldn't represent you.

It's about as absurd as complaining about the government but never voting. You gotta get involved people!

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: links234

This is not very difficult to understand.

If Unions are so great, why do they need to force membership and dues?

Instead of a lengthy diatribe, why not just answer the question.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: macman

Again you ask a loaded question. That question implies that union are great, and force members to pay dues.

Not all unions are great, and some are quite corrupt. That does not take away from the good unions out there, like the one I mentioned in a previous response.

Also most unions do not force membership or dues. The 'dues' that my friends in the IUOE pay are figured into the wages the union negotiates. There are no monthly or yearly dues.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: links234

This is not very difficult to understand.

If Unions are so great, why do they need to force membership and dues?

Instead of a lengthy diatribe, why not just answer the question.

My union dues go to help pay for my health insurance, my retirement fund, cell phone and plan, and a small portion goes to help
maintain the infrastructure of the Union. I don't resent paying my dues for the great benefits I receive.

It's almost impossible to get into my unions without proper training and background. No one is forced to join!

Union proud....IATSE and SAG/AFTRA

edit on 2-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Figures, republicans are only in control for a month and are already trying solidify their position so they never lose power again. It is pathetic.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ark005
I partially agree with this.
Unions, as they stand now, are a relic of the past, but they also serve a purpose.
If the law was written so that neither the Companies nor the Unions could mandate rule for membership and it was solely the workers choice, I would have a better feeling about this. But this is setting it up so that the companies can just say that they can require their employees to stay away from Unions as part of their job and reserve the right to fire them if they try to form one.

and that is the whole point of having mandatory union dues...the company has no say over the employees that are working for them, as to whether they join a union or not. let's remember that it wasn't too long ago when companies would hire thugs to go and beat up striking workers, resulting in killing some that died from their injuries.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

And yet again, you avoid the question.

For Unions that force membership and dues, if they are so great, why is that done..

Will you answer the question, or dance some more.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I don't need a Union to pay for retirement, health insurance or anything else.

I guess you aren't able to do these things on your own? Is it too hard?

There are many of jobs that require one to join a Union. That is force.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Yeah, and lets not forget about what the Unions have done as well.

Now, should a company be allowed to stop their employees from Unionizing?? No.

Does a company have to hire those Union people? No.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Yeah, and lets not forget about what the Unions have done as well.

Now, should a company be allowed to stop their employees from Unionizing?? No.

Does a company have to hire those Union people? No.

listen, we all know by now, that you hate the working class and want wealthy people like the Koch Bros. to make even more money, and the people that can't make it on their own to just go somewhere and die. so long as taxpayers don't have to pay for their pathetic lives. we get your "drift"

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   

And where have I ever stated such things.

Care to actually address the question.

I actually want everyone earning more and more money.

YOU just want control over others.

There is the difference.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

And, from your statement, you believe that without a Union, people will just die.
Interesting.

Guess you have no faith in people as individuals to make it in life.

Personally, I have no need for Unions. I have "worked" (I use that lightly) along side people in the Telecom Union. I have seen first hand exactly just what they do, or don't do.

There is a reason why costs associated with say a T1 are 50-80% higher with ATT and such then with non-Union companies.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Why don't they just call it the "Right to Work for Less Act"

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

And where have I ever stated such things.

Care to actually address the question.

I actually want everyone earning more and more money.

YOU just want control over others.

And you just want the Corporations and Bosses to have control over the American working middle class.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

So, Unions are the only way to achieve not being ruled by Corps??

Hmmm, seems that the Union has failed to do just that. But, just like with every Govt based program out there, I am sure that all we need is to throw more money their way. That will solve the issue.

Funny thing though. I refuse to work anywhere that has a forced Union and I have done great. I don't need a collective to negotiate for me. Nor do I need a collective to protect me. I have taken responsibility for my own career and work life.

AS for Bosses being in charge...yeah, that is what a boss is. The controlling aspect of the worker to the business.

edit on 2-2-2015 by macman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join