It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Gates is worried about artificial intelligence too

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
In the Dune series, Frank Herbert mentioned The Butlerian Jihad as a period when humans rejected the use of any machine that could think for itself. I'm reasonably certain his son based a book on that concept as well... but the end result was that humans began modifying themselves genetically to take on the roles that computers once had. Hence development of the Mentats. The pilots of CHOAM vessels were also a replacement for computers, and with a limited vision of the future (they were kept in a Spice-infused atmosphere) were the only ones capable of navigating at FTL.

I think despite the warning now, we'll be full-speed ahead on AI until we require a reset -- a Butlerian Jihad -- or until we're wiped out. We aren't good at heeding warnings.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

The only concern over AI is that it will be modeled after our brains. Would you trust a Human? Good, then you shouldn't trust a machine either.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
It sure has dangerous qualities .. If it's going to rewrite windows in flawless mode , I can imagine Bill would be upset..

lmao!

Now that is funny.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
"Guy's we've got to figure this out... robots will soon think for themselves. We've spent the last 1000 years making sure people couldn't do this, but what if the a.i. in robots become immune to our social conditioning? They might actually object to being slaves"

True motivation right there.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Bill Gates is worried about his Elite position being compromised. That's with a very large PERIOD at the end of that sentence.
The commoners have nothing to fear about another upheaval. It is what we live through.

If you want to speculate about what's coming, that's normal. To think you OR anyone else will be able to predict the outcome of the Singularity once we are engaged in it, is moronic. We are speaking of exponentially, compounding interest modifications, extrapolations and interpolations that only will be understood at the time they are happening and as immediate history.

This is liking the prediction of AN atom's processes inside a thermonuclear bomb while entering the heliosphere of the Sun.

My Take: When it initiates, have a grab rail nearby. You'll need it.

I have been following Sci-Fi since it was Science Fiction. This topic is played and laid out often. I like the Ian Banks' 'Culture' best out of all of the outcomes I have read.
What I actually think will occur? If we don't interfere with them, they will go about their business and if Benford is right they'll hate that we were of spontaneous origination and they will hunt us down and kill us out of sheer jealousy. If Bear is right we will all become part of the machinery, The Grey Goo Outcome!

This is what happens when we are in a system that insists on evolving. The entirety of the Universe is vested in doing so. To think you will cause it to do more than pause in pursuing this objective is a manifested delusion.

If you honestly think that your puniness is not appreciated by that process, ask a dinosaur about their theories about how things would turn out. This change is gonna come and it will be no fit to our preconceptions.

It may be fun, even.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
AI might change things for the better. Humans are messing it all up. It can't get any worse.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
If AI can keep people honest, I see it as an evolutionary step ahead.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
All I can think about in this thread is C-3PO! Then I started to think about the movie Her. What are Gates, Musk, and Hawking so worried about? That "C-3PO" will turn evil?

Makes you wonder if there is an AI robot hiding away in some secret underground military base.

Also makes you wonder if one day we could heal mental disabilities with AI. Then imagine if that person were to have a child with someone. You would have a 2nd generation 1/2 AI 1/2 human intelligence child.

Calculators process complex equations in seconds and there are rare occurrences of people being able to beat a calculator. However we use our nerves to send commands for movements in our body at the same speed a computer processes equations. I think given this factor the AI consciousness might behave very bizarre and unknown. Gates, Musk, and Hawking must have figured out what this behavior would be like, and are advising against it's creation.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
and he also drank water made from poo.

couldn't resist. since it rhymed and all

anyways, genius or not, everyone is wrong sometimes.

and maybe it is just me but I think i'd feel kind of silly being afraid of a robot. I love technology. I think me and robocop would get along well enough. after all, I have read Frankenstein. id be much more afraid of frankenstein than a robot. artificial intelligence isnt as freaky as the all natural stuff. at least you can program AI. and AI would have honor I would assume. and wouldnt just toss away its creator. it would respect the creator. perhaps disagree with him or her, but I think it would ultimately feel gratitude for being given a glimpse of the human experience.

AI could help the elderly and the disabled. loneliness kills people. AI might be a solution to helping those who have nobody.

and if that doesnt work, machines are pretty easy to break. there's always a way. whereas there wasn't a way in the case of an organic intelligence like the Frankenstein monster (who unlike AI was truly alive. In the fictitious story, of course)
edit on 31-1-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
TOOOOO late the ''ball is already rolling"--we're in it n its headed back to the stone age.
.If u know [ (fuzzy-networks + chaotic circuits)=A.I].@ least mother nature is reppin us there--in the chaos.jus hope we haven't upset her with the wars n global warming e.t.c coz if we have she probably aint on OUR SIDE.
edit on 31-3-2015 by fr33coll3ct1v3 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join