It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are Minimum Wage Jobs Advertised As A Career?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Well said.

The truly powerful use their money, not as mattress stuffing, but as a tool. A tool used to acquire more power. Money means little to them other than as a mean to an end. It isn't an end.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: crazyewok

Quick question...

What is so undignified about flipping burgers? When did it become a shameful thing?

Just curious.

Well it it don't exactly require brains or much skill.

Nor are you making a mark in society.

There are bigger better things out there.

If you still flipping burgers at 30 and unable to get into a mangers job at the very least one must have major issues in there life or live in a really really crap place.

I have a friend, about 43, still flipping burgers and is happy, always smiles. Granted he is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he is one of the kindest people I have ever met. Never a bad word about anybody, even behind their back.

And yet the crap this guy puts up with because he is not what 'society' thinks he should be. Makes me sick.
It is all about finding a place where you can exist and be happy. More money does not equal happiness.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: RedCairo

So, if they are making payments on things, why aren't they saving the amount they'd be making on the payments every month instead of making the payment? Then when they had enough saved, why aren't they buying it cash outright at the normal place for the kid's bed? It saves the gross amounts of overage they are paying in interest and late fees.

I know that's what we are doing to buy our kid's bed this weekend. We saved. Of course, we had to pull cash and put it in an envelope to have the fortitude, but it worked and we won't be making interest payments. We will own it outright.

See? It's about how you handle your money to avoid that debt trap that's making them poor.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

If you still flipping burgers at 30 and unable to get into a mangers job at the very least one must have major issues in there life or live in a really really crap place.

OK. On this we can agree, and do. But as a start for a young person? There's really nothing wrong with it. You, yourself, said you started out there. I certainly did the equivalent in the grocery industry.

A little gumption, and keeping your eyes and ears open, and doors do open. Or, you can kick 'em open by keeping those eyes and ears open. ...and you have to be willing to put in the time and effort.

Well that's the point of being young.

Taking grotty dirty jobs to get you through university or until you can move up the chain.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

Quick question...

What is so undignified about flipping burgers? When did it become a shameful thing?

Just curious.

Well it it don't exactly require brains or much skill.

Nor are you making a mark in society.

There are bigger better things out there.

I have a friend, about 43, still flipping burgers and is happy, always smiles. Granted he is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he is one of the kindest people I have ever met. Never a bad word about anybody, even behind their back.

And yet the crap this guy puts up with because he is not what 'society' thinks he should be. Makes me sick.
It is all about finding a place where you can exist and be happy. More money does not equal happiness.

Well good for him as you said:

originally posted by: stosh64
he is not the sharpest tool in the shed

So he is doing his best by his own standards.

We can only judge by each own ability's.

As my ability's were far far higher, then if I was still working in fast food at even 25 I would by my own standard be selling myself far short.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Well said.

The truly powerful use their money, not as mattress stuffing, but as a tool. A tool used to acquire more power. Money means little to them other than as a mean to an end. It isn't an end.

Exactly, the popular conception of the rich as Scrooge McDuck swimming in their vault full of money is false. That is money as an end. If they actually handled their money that way, they wouldn't be super rich for very long. No, they put the money to work for them in various ways to create more wealth.

The trick of economic policy is to find ways to get them to put it work in ways that benefit everyone - them and the rest of us by default. Current policy does not do that.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Aazadan

Another point I think you miss here is that it takes very basic chops in today's world to elevate yourself in a basic work environment.

Pretty much all you have to do is consistently show up on time, work hard and efficiently, work willingly and put in the extra time when it's needed.

So many people have the attitude that the basic jobs are crap that they don't hardly even try. They slack, show up late, blow off shifts, etc. It's not unusual for the mentally disabled to do a better job than the perfectly well abled person who has a chip on their shoulder over having to do work they consider "beneath themselves."

So before you worry about someone finishing last, you should consider that often who finishes last is a decision they actively make and it has nothing to do with who absolutely can or cannot make the grade.

I think you're dismissing people too readily. Sure, some people are like that being in minimum wage positions myself I meet a ton of them but at the same time I meet a lot of people who are capable, who take their jobs seriously who also get minimum wage. Besides that, I take a wider view to this... if someone is a bad employee what is the correct course of action as a society? Do they deserve to starve because they have a problem with authority? Is the inability to follow orders something that should cause a person to be homeless? I'm very concerned with who comes in last place because the last place score puts second to last place in context and so on up the rankings.

I would be much less concerned with this if wealth inequality were lower, and those in say the bottom 25% were finding their purchasing power from year to year remaining equal while others were equal or improving but that's not what we currently have. Right now however we have little to no measurable upward mobility in the country and purchasing power for the bottom 90% is decreasing. I see this as a huge issue, this used to be the land of plenty. Today the bottom 1/3 of Americans can't even afford enough food without assistance.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Exactly, the popular conception of the rich as Scrooge McDuck swimming in their vault full of money is false. That is money as an end. If they actually handled their money that way, they wouldn't be super rich for very long. No, they put the money to work for them in various ways to create more wealth.

The trick of economic policy is to find ways to get them to put it work in ways that benefit everyone - them and the rest of us by default. Current policy does not do that.

Yet the government encourages ordinary people to have savings sitting in a 0.5% APR savings account, or worse yet spend it all. The system has been designed to have a low interest rate in order to boost spending and discourage saving. It was the last trick we had left in the book to keep the economy afloat and it's not something we can do again. What the wealthy do with their money is the exact opposite of what our economic policies encourage the middle class and lower to do with their money. It's not a coincidence that the middle class has been drastically shrinking for over a decade now and that such policies are in place.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

In the interests of full disclosure...

That box boy job started when I was 36, after I'd quit a rather better job in Alaska's fishing industry because I got tired of the office politics that happen at the level of management I'd attained.

Trust me when I say, it was quite the cut in pay... On the order of 25K a year less, but much, much less stressful, and frustrating. Not having to remember who was sleeping with who, or who the resident brown noser was this month... I'm sure you know how that drill works...

...and my sister needed help caring for her daughter. So, you do what you gotta do.

It took about four years to work my way up to the night crew, and along the way, raises occurred at regular, and irregular intervals. Now I'm actually making more than I was at the job in Alaska.

When I was a kid did I picture myself starting the twenty-first century as a minimum wage bag boy? Not hardly. Life is what you make of it.

If I can start, at age 36, at the bottom... Certainly a young person with even a little work ethic can do it.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Well that's the point of being young.

Taking grotty dirty jobs to get you through university or until you can move up the chain.

You're in the UK correct? I don't know about your economy but here in the US we're based almost entirely on a service sector economy. Such an economy has large numbers of low level workers and a very small amount of higher ranked employees. There is little opportunity for advancement, only say 10% of people can advance because that's all the positions that are available.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Get a skill or qualification in the science or financial sector.

In both our country those are growing industry's.

It is what I did.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Part of having a job is carrying out the duties as required. If a person chooses not to do those tasks, that's on them. As an employer, my husband isn't hiring people out of the goodness of his heart, he's doing it because there are certain jobs he needs done in a certain way. If the people he hires don't feel it incumbent upon them to carry out those tasks in the way he needs them to be carried out ... then those people don't get raises or get fired. It's that simple. For one thing, if they don't do the job right, people could end up in jail and my husband could wind up out of work (or in jail) where he's at.

Why do you think it's someone's business to coddle people who won't do what they are hired to do because they need to eat? That's their responsibility the minute they accept the job, and if they aren't willing to do the job, they shouldn't accept it.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Get a skill or qualification in the science or financial sector.

In both our country those are growing industry's.

It is what I did.

Mine is in software. I plan to start my own company one day but what I want to do requires many years of schooling. I'm about 10 years in and need 2 more (could probably do it in 1 but I might as well finish the additional degree). Such jobs locally only pay minimum wage though.

However that's not really important. Given the culture here in the US we want our coffee shops and McDonalds. These are low level service sector jobs. If we have a clear demand for these jobs, doesn't it make sense that these jobs should provide for a viable lifestyle for those who work them?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

So you learn as best you can how to adapt.

And none of it has much to do with working a starter job.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Only if you are also willing to pay a price commensurate with providing that kind of lifestyle to the employees.

Do you want to pay the same price for the cheap crap at McDonald's that you pay for the privilege of eating at a fine dining restaurant?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Part of having a job is carrying out the duties as required. If a person chooses not to do those tasks, that's on them. As an employer, my husband isn't hiring people out of the goodness of his heart, he's doing it because there are certain jobs he needs done in a certain way. If the people he hires don't feel it incumbent upon them to carry out those tasks in the way he needs them to be carried out ... then those people don't get raises or get fired. It's that simple. For one thing, if they don't do the job right, people could end up in jail and my husband could wind up out of work (or in jail) where he's at.

Why do you think it's someone's business to coddle people who won't do what they are hired to do because they need to eat? That's their responsibility the minute they accept the job, and if they aren't willing to do the job, they shouldn't accept it.

I agree, if you're hired to do a job you should do it but some people are screw ups for one reason or another. Perhaps they can't handle responsibility or perhaps they can't handle doing what they're told. What are we as a society supposed to do with such people? How about the ones who are capable but can't move up from a low wage position because the jobs don't exist?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Only if you are also willing to pay a price commensurate with providing that kind of lifestyle to the employees.

Do you want to pay the same price for the cheap crap at McDonald's that you pay for the privilege of eating at a fine dining restaurant?

It costs me $12 for a meal at McDonalds, it costs me $8 for a meal from a take out cafe I frequent, it costs me $12 for the Mexican restaurant I occasionally goto. It also costs me about $8 for a meal from the grocery store. The prices are already comparable.

However I get what you're saying. Lets look at Australia, converted to USD their minimum wage is twice ours, yet their cost of goods is only about 10% higher than ours. We could raise wages without significantly increasing costs. There's two reasons for this. The first is that an increase in the cost of labor only increases a portion of the cost of an item, there is also the material cost which doesn't change. This means that a 100% increase in the cost of labor doesn't translate into a 100% increase in the cost of the product. The second reason is that when people who are spending all of their paychecks get more money, they also spend that money. They goto more businesses and spend their money, as a result they consume more services which increases business and results in more revenue. This combined with the first reason completely covers the wage increase.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Minimum wage jobs are touted as careers because some people have little choice but to make a career out of any job that will feed them, cloth them, house them.

And most minimum wage jobs are the low end of the ladder, with a chance for promotion, thus a minimum wage job is just a first step towards a career, if you hate your job or have no ambition you aren't going to get promoted, and you will have a career of flipping burgers.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I get paid seven quid an hour doing a job I love looling after people who need my help.
I consider it a career not just a job.
Btw the job you do doesn't make you a better person than anyone else.
Elitism sucks and I despise people who look down on othets because they don't make enkugh money

We are all cogs in the wheel and all I want is a fair wage for a fairs days work.

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I get paid seven quid an hour doing a job I love looling after people who need my help.
I consider it a career not just a job.
Btw the job you do doesn't make you a better person than anyone else.
Elitism sucks and I despise people who look down on othets because they don't make enkugh money

We are all cogs in the wheel and all I want is a fair wage for a fairs days work.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join