It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are Minimum Wage Jobs Advertised As A Career?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: AnuTyr

This person is unwilling to look at the facts of the economy as reported by the bureau of labor statistics. They are unwilling to recognize that we have lost our purchasing power as a nation and our currency is dieing because investors are looking for alternatives. They dont want to believe that 69% of our economy is now service sector based, oil companies are now laying off, factories and other companies are still moving offshore, the local governments are not small business friendly, its harder and more expensive then ever to get a small startup off the ground, millennials are not buying houses, the middle class is dead.

No no its all because people are lazy and stupid and i dont feel like taking a more honest look at what people are saying. Id rather just use my own experience as anecdotal evidence that the world is perfect and then i want to call people names.

We've lost purchasing power? Poor people today live better than the middle class 50 years ago. The only reason anyone has lost purchasing power is because they want to live a certain lifestyle. Air conditioning, flat screen TVs, cell phones, multiple pairs of sneakers, Playstations, cars, 3000 square foot houses, etc.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TycoonBarnaby

originally posted by: Toadmund

originally posted by: Edumakated

a reply to: Edumakated

What world are you living in the 1950's or 2015?

Theres no upward mobility anymore give me a break.

There is plenty of upward mobility for those that are willing to work hard. There is no upward mobility for the weak, lazy, and stupid. If you can't run with the big dogs, get off the porch.

Some of us don't live to work, we work to live.

We should be able to live, why must we run with 'those' dogs.

ANY job should be a job that people can live off of, YOU are selling your labour, for your benefit.
Unfortunately it's not usually beneficial for you, but mostly for them.
Parasites of society, the banks, corporations etc. They suck our life blood and they want us to play THEIR game?!

(Insert bad word) THEM!

What do you mean by "live"? What do you require to live? Do you need the internet, a TV, a car, etc?
Poverty level in the US is still so far beyond just living, surely you are actually saying you require more than just living for doing something a machine could do instead of you.

Get real man!
Do you deny the fact that those at the top are taking most of the pie and leaving us the crumbs?

Yeah, I know 2/3 rds of the world can barely afford to eat and I live pretty good compared to them.
I just don't want to become them.
That's is where we are heading though.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

There is plenty of upward mobility for those that are willing to work hard. There is no upward mobility for the weak, lazy, and stupid. If you can't run with the big dogs, get off the porch.

Some of us don't live to work, we work to live.

We should be able to live, why must we run with 'those' dogs.

ANY job should be a job that people can live off of, YOU are selling your labour, for your benefit.
Unfortunately it's not usually beneficial for you, but mostly for them.
Parasites of society, the banks, corporations etc. They suck our life blood and they want us to play THEIR game?!

(Insert bad word) THEM!

What do you mean by "live"? What do you require to live? Do you need the internet, a TV, a car, etc?
Poverty level in the US is still so far beyond just living, surely you are actually saying you require more than just living for doing something a machine could do instead of you.

Get real man!
Do you deny the fact that those at the top are taking most of the pie and leaving us the crumbs?

Yeah, I know 2/3 rds of the world can barely afford to eat and I live pretty good compared to them.
I just don't want to become them.
That's is where we are heading though.

The pie is growing. The pie is not fixed. Just because buggy whip manufacturers went out of business doesn't mean the economy is faltering. They had to retrain to find a different skillset.

Those at the top have a lot of wealth because they created even more wealth! How much value and wealth do you think Microsoft created for Bill Gates to find himself worth $75 billion? Probably trillions. You have to look beyond just one man's pocket book.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That's true too.

No one who is any good stays at minimum wage for long. You either earn a raise fairly quickly, find another job or start getting promotions.

It doesn't matter if people are any good or not. If everyone is skilled, effectively no one is skilled because nothing distinguishes them from the pack. By definition there will always be people with below average skills or below average opportunity, and those people will earn below average wages. Shouldn't those at the bottom, considering that someone will always be at the bottom be able to have a reasonable lifestyle?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Toadmund

I don't think the ultra 0.1% should be at the extreme level that they are. But I also don't think people flipping burgers deserve large screen TVs, multiple cars, or other luxury items.

EDIT: I certainly don't feel like I am fighting over crumbs personally. But then, I got an advanced education in an in-demand field and have since far surpassed the lower middle class upbringing I was born into.
edit on 1/29/2015 by TycoonBarnaby because: Additional statement

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Define reasonable.

Also, even someone with no skills can distinguish themselves from someone else who has no skills. They learn the job, they show up on time every time. They work more efficiently. They put in the extra time when the rest of the people refuse to show up. They offer to learn other skills above and beyond what their job requires.

All these are ways to pull yourself up over the rest. If you are perpetually in last place, maybe you ought to be asking yourself why. And for those who are in such a physical/mental condition that they truly cannot help but be in last place ... well, they should be helped by society.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Be there is....just last week I read about one guy out of millions that did it....see this proves everyone can do it in this economy because one guy did it.

Just like the lottery...one guy hit it big....this is proof everyone can....

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

Why Are Minimum Wage Jobs Advertised As A Career?

To hype the great new reality of the American economy.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

The reality is most US citizens cannot compete on the global scale. Adapt or face the consequences.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnuTyr

You do realize that McDonald's is and has been losing money and market share for a while now? Right?

There are no record profits there.

Oh Cuz losing the profit margin was 1.50 billion but dropped to 1.01 billion since last year they are definently getting *crippled*

Give me a break.

That's 1000 Million dollars in profits.

Exactly...they aren't losing money...they are just not making as much....I can tell you why.

All the workers of these places no longer have any disposable income, which means they can't even participate in a consumer based economy.

Thus less consumers, less profits.

How is it a regular Joe like me can understand such a simple concept but these douche bags making millions can't seem to grasp it?

Pay nothing to the workers they don't have any money to spend, they don't spend money, businesses can't make any money....this seems very easy to understand to me.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

a reply to: stosh64

The reality is most US citizens cannot compete on the global scale. Adapt or face the consequences.

We will all face the consequences soon. On a global scale.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Would you prefer them asking you if you want a dead end job with no possible future advancement?
Those jobs are so bad that they need to sell them to people.

Least thats being honnest.

When I was at uni earning my biology degree i found it pathetic I had to pretend in a interview I wanted a career as a bugger flipper when me and the manager doing the interview knew full well as soon as I got my degree I would quit and get a better job with twice the pay and 10x the dignity.

edit on 29-1-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-1-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Of my college-educated friends, some didn't waste their time on those worthless womens' studies degrees. Some went for in-demand jobs like nursing. However, they summed it up best when they'd say "I thought I wanted a career to be proud of. Turns out, getting the bills paid was what I wanted."

One person's career is another's crapola job. The common link? The paycheck. Everyone wants & needs one. I think it's high time people stop slamming others for their choice of earning income, the dollars are still dollars at the end of the shift.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

a reply to: SearchLightsInc

They are worthless scum they should want to work for apple for free and offer their children to steve jobs as a sacrifice for the betterment of apples profit margin.

If they were smart they would manipulate their way up the chain and become the CEO one day.

This is the claim most are trying to make...all the while ignoring there are thousands and millions suffering and starving below this level....but hey one guy screwed everyone at every turn and got a good job....the others just don't deserve it...they deserve to starve for not being ambitious enough....

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
To sell the rubes on the idea who don't know better...

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

This person is unwilling to look at the facts of the economy as reported by the bureau of labor statistics. They are unwilling to recognize that we have lost our purchasing power as a nation and our currency is dieing because investors are looking for alternatives. They dont want to believe that 69% of our economy is now service sector based, oil companies are now laying off, factories and other companies are still moving offshore, the local governments are not small business friendly, its harder and more expensive then ever to get a small startup off the ground, millennials are not buying houses, the middle class is dead.

No no its all because people are lazy and stupid and i dont feel like taking a more honest look at what people are saying. Id rather just use my own experience as anecdotal evidence that the world is perfect and then i want to call people names.

We've lost purchasing power? Poor people today live better than the middle class 50 years ago. The only reason anyone has lost purchasing power is because they want to live a certain lifestyle. Air conditioning, flat screen TVs, cell phones, multiple pairs of sneakers, Playstations, cars, 3000 square foot houses, etc.

They also live better than they did 150 years ago...or 500 years ago... Hell they live better than cave men...I mean why should someone working full time in the modern world be allowed to live like a modern human?

I mean right, they should be in a cave hunting and gathering after slaving away for others to live in absolute luxury.

It isn't like they are working or something.

I mean hell, they get to see people driving cars while they walk to and from work everyday rain or shine...wtf do these want?

Lazy bastards...expecting to be able to afford food shelter and transportation after working fulltime.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

That's all any of us want, but it gets much harder when you go to college and don't make a good choice of degree. Then you have a degree that no one takes seriously and doesn't open any real doors on top of the debt you likely took on to get it.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

That's true too.

No one who is any good stays at minimum wage for long. You either earn a raise fairly quickly, find another job or start getting promotions.

It doesn't matter if people are any good or not. If everyone is skilled, effectively no one is skilled because nothing distinguishes them from the pack. By definition there will always be people with below average skills or below average opportunity, and those people will earn below average wages. Shouldn't those at the bottom, considering that someone will always be at the bottom be able to have a reasonable lifestyle?

This is the crux of the argument.

Just because you don't get the opportunity to be at the top shouldn't mean you have to starve.

Anyone who thinks this is one of the biggest pos in mans history.

They are the problem, that it seems obvious, the lowly masses are on the verge of removing from this mortal coil.

Hence the rich building bunkers etc...

They know it is coming, anyone who denies it hasn't read history.

This always happens...over and over... Because those at the top can't share, they have to have more because they deserve it, even though the workers they pay nothing to are actually making all the money by doing all the work.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

That's all any of us want, but it gets much harder when you go to college and don't make a good choice of degree. Then you have a degree that no one takes seriously and doesn't open any real doors on top of the debt you likely took on to get it.

Very true, especially when considering the BSing done to suck money out of students and convince them something like 'Women's History" is a viable degree. Some degrees really are traps that most others can clearly see as a financial drain with no real applications. I know several people who have degrees relating to women's study courses that have zero application in real life, aside from waiting for some professor to die or retire so they can try to vie for the teaching position, if ever. "A fool & their money are soon parted" comes to mind with those kinds of degrees.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: infinityorder

It's not about becoming CEO. It's simple. If you are a good employee, even the burger hut will try to keep you there. They will do this by offering you raises or promotions. It's not about screwing people either.

All you have to do is show up on time and work hard. Unless of course, you think having simple work ethic means screwing over other people who don't.

My husband has done it at every workplace he's been at so far. He goes on time, works long hours, takes responsibility where it needs to be taken. That's it. It works. He doesn't need to screw anyone, and at present he has been responsibly for the creation of 6 new jobs because of the value in his position that he created. So no, you don't need to screw anyone.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join