It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are Minimum Wage Jobs Advertised As A Career?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Why do commercials for "online universities" say America will need 4 million college graduates in 2015???

A country with hundreds of millions of people.....and they proudly state only 4 million college grads will be needed. Why? Because the economy's garbage, student debt is crippling the young, recent grads have their dreams shattered by an economy that cannot provide for them, nor provides the opportunities for work.

Welcome to America. The distractions, the endless need for convenience which led to comfort and complacency, the poor education system, the repetitive media. It's a pit. It's hopeless.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
In my late teens / early 20's during my very extended gap year, I took a job as an assistant restaurant manager for Grand Metropolitan Retail, my previous experience was mostly in art though also working for a baker during the summer hols, I knew how to bake bread etc and decorate cakes at 16.

I spent 6 months living in a hotel, company paid whilst getting excellent management training, within a few months of completing management training I was promoted to deputy manager, then after a year or so I was running the restaurant.

When I didn't want to relocate when a bigger restaurant opened, I was offered a job as manager of an entire motorway service station, including about 5 restaurants, shops, etc.

I decided on something else but it was excellent business training in all aspects of business and great for my CV.

It was a fast paced environment and the people skills I learned there were invaluable.

It is possible to progress in these jobs, perhaps not as easy as it was in the 80's /90's but still possible.

It was also salaried and reasonably competitive, I bought my first house at 18.

Some of the supervisors I trained were previously waiters and chefs, and if they did well they could progress onto salaried assistant manager positions.
edit on 29-1-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

They started tolling years ago. I'm deaf from all the pealing of the bells.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Mc.Donalds is a harder job than Wallmart anyways. It's fast food. It at least supports the Economy to a degree that it's in because Mc.Donalds always ships food in locally.

All the meat you get from Mc.Ds comes from local farmers who are part of a program that sells cow hunks of meat and cows to mc.donalds. Same as many of the other items are all made Locally.

The reason why their profits are not higher than 1-2 Billion at a time is because they don't Directly extort people for cash. They do so by giving a base wage to all workers, In order to rack in profits since they sell locally. Well they raise the prices on foods in order to gain those profits. The stocks plunged last year because of PR. PR has a big impact on companies profits, Statments for or against these companies effect the people watching it. The population is becoming more Health consious so yes Mc.Donalds profits are dropping. But hey may go back up, It bounces all the time.

Mc.donalds is the lesser Evil here, Wall mart is a bigger threat. Because Wall mart exports internationally. The goods are not produces Locally. All wallmarts good are produced in China. So no one is profiting from having Wall mart in America. Because Wall mart does not purchase American goods.

And their profit margine is much greater, The Koch brothers. Owners of Wallmart are in the top 10 richest people on the planet.

So yeah, These companies need to pay.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Edumakated

What world are you living in the 1950's or 2015?

Theres no upward mobility anymore give me a break.

There is plenty of upward mobility for those that are willing to work hard. There is no upward mobility for the weak, lazy, and stupid. If you can't run with the big dogs, get off the porch.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
These jobs give young people a work history to put on the application of their next job. Hopefully with a good reference. I can't tell you how many times I have taken applications that did not have job histories filled in. Those get filed in the circular file. Stable job history is just as important as job skills.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
These jobs give young people a work history to put on the application of their next job. Hopefully with a good reference. I can't tell you how many times I have taken applications that did not have job histories filled in. Those get filed in the circular file. Stable job history is just as important as job skills.

No, these jobs are careers now. You should be able to buy a house, car, white picket fence, afford 2.5 kids, dog, and annual vacation on a low skill minimum wage job.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

No, these jobs are careers now. You should be able to buy a house, car, white picket fence, afford 2.5 kids, dog, and annual vacation on a low skill minimum wage job.

Only on Star Trek....

(post by onequestion removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

A lot of people who work for Mc.Donalds and Wallmart are people who have physical or mental disabilities.

And These corperations take advantage of the easy hireing system well pushing minimum wage ( As much as the law would allow anyways, Remeber when these assholes paid 6$ an hour?)

And no one wants to hire people with physical disabilities or mental disabilities.
It's its not like these people generally have a choice. I see to many of them stuck in minimum wage Jobs.
So yeah some people are lazy and don't want to progress but when your crew is full of people who are sick/dying, Has an extra Chromosome, Or is a drug addict that would fail a drug test and can't do the mental work that is nessisary for some of the higher paying jobs which involve planning and paperwork.

And these problems won't just go away because even Healthy people can become physically disabled. Leaving them to becoming janitors, Cashiers, Burger flippers, And welcome greeters.

If it wasn't for disability checkes these people would be left to fend for themselves because these corps arn't paying enough to be considered a livable wage.

To todays day and age, Mc.Donalds entry jobs are like the grown ups version of a paperoute.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
And just to throw a fact into this, Apple just announced record breaking profits, they pay their Chinese workers about £4 a week.

Those factory worker's have career's right?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

This person is unwilling to look at the facts of the economy as reported by the bureau of labor statistics. They are unwilling to recognize that we have lost our purchasing power as a nation and our currency is dieing because investors are looking for alternatives. They dont want to believe that 69% of our economy is now service sector based, oil companies are now laying off, factories and other companies are still moving offshore, the local governments are not small business friendly, its harder and more expensive then ever to get a small startup off the ground, millennials are not buying houses, the middle class is dead.

No no its all because people are lazy and stupid and i dont feel like taking a more honest look at what people are saying. Id rather just use my own experience as anecdotal evidence that the world is perfect and then i want to call people names.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

They are worthless scum they should want to work for apple for free and offer their children to steve jobs as a sacrifice for the betterment of apples profit margin.

If they were smart they would manipulate their way up the chain and become the CEO one day.
edit on 1/29/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: SearchLightsInc
And just to throw a fact into this, Apple just announced record breaking profits, they pay their Chinese workers about £4 a week.

Those factory worker's have career's right?

That's why china is great with their minimum wage and standard of living laws

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I started as a bag boy, that's about as minimum wage as it gets...

That was some years ago, fourteen of them, and I now run the night crew, and make quite a bit more than minimum. I'll never be rich, but I'm not exactly starving either.

Every week, my employer has openings for positions all over the corporation. Nearly every job is filled by former checkers or bag boys. ...and most of 'em come from within the corporation, well over three quarters.

The trick? Don't quit your job. Stick with it, and eventually you'll not be making minimum wage. Not very complicated.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

a reply to: AnuTyr

This person is unwilling to look at the facts of the economy as reported by the bureau of labor statistics. They are unwilling to recognize that we have lost our purchasing power as a nation and our currency is dieing because investors are looking for alternatives. They dont want to believe that 69% of our economy is now service sector based, oil companies are now laying off, factories and other companies are still moving offshore, the local governments are not small business friendly, its harder and more expensive then ever to get a small startup off the ground, millennials are not buying houses, the middle class is dead.

No no its all because people are lazy and stupid and i dont feel like taking a more honest look at what people are saying. Id rather just use my own experience as anecdotal evidence that the world is perfect and then i want to call people names.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

I worked in the food industry for probably 10+ years, it did get me by, and could be considered a career, but when I worked fast food in my first two jobs they were mind numbingly boring and unchallenged me. The hardest part was dealing with customers, each of those jobs I quickly rose to the top, but was laid off from both because they couldn't afford me anymore, they just simply brought in another teenager or someone who doesn't want to grow.
That's what differs from a non career to a career, being able to grow with your company or bring your skills you have to get more money and challenges.

And flipping burgers isn't that much of a challenge, unless it's at a gourmet restaurant.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

There is plenty of upward mobility for those that are willing to work hard. There is no upward mobility for the weak, lazy, and stupid. If you can't run with the big dogs, get off the porch.

Some of us don't live to work, we work to live.

We should be able to live, why must we run with 'those' dogs.

ANY job should be a job that people can live off of, YOU are selling your labour, for your benefit.
Unfortunately it's not usually beneficial for you, but mostly for them.
Parasites of society, the banks, corporations etc. They suck our life blood and they want us to play THEIR game?!

(Insert bad word) THEM!

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
When I was younger I worked at a 24-Hour convenience store/gas station/sub way. The hiring poster for the store said "Flexible work hours" and the word "career". There were absolutely no flexible work hours. You worked a different shift, every day. I was an assistant manager and I worked 4 different shifts; 5am-2pm, 7am-4pm, 12pm-9pm, 3pm-12am. If an over nighter called off, I worked that too. Subway had their own hours as they closed at 10pm. On top of working the store I also had the responsibility of taking sub way classes and working sub side with its own set of rules. Even the part-timers paid minimum wage never worked a straight schedule. Trying to call off was near impossible, and asking to take a weeks vacation was an inconvenience to the company. Worst place I have ever worked in my years of employment. They do promote from within....only up to store manager as the DMs never leave. They drive around all day, telling you everything you do wrong but nothing you do right.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Toadmund

Some of us don't live to work, we work to live.

We should be able to live, why must we run with 'those' dogs.

ANY job should be a job that people can live off of, YOU are selling your labour, for your benefit.
Unfortunately it's not usually beneficial for you, but mostly for them.
Parasites of society, the banks, corporations etc. They suck our life blood and they want us to play THEIR game?!

(Insert bad word) THEM!

What do you mean by "live"? What do you require to live? Do you need the internet, a TV, a car, etc?
Poverty level in the US is still so far beyond just living, surely you are actually saying you require more than just living for doing something a machine could do instead of you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join