It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Credit reporting agencies...disputing an item.... good grief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
If you have ever tried to dispute something on your credit report from Equifax, all I can say is good luck.

Going into my second month of trying to get a bogus 40G student loan removed from my credit report. Doesn't snow up on the other two agencies, only on Equifax.

Calls to the company involved confirmed that I do not have or have ever had a student loan with them. They referred me to the Dept of Education. They also confirmed I have never had a student loan.

Yet Equifax informed me today my dispute was rejected because the company in question confirmed the account was mine.

This is so frustrating... just spent 25 minutes on hold only to be hung up on before getting a live person.

It's looking like I have no recourse at this point other than hiring a lawyer and spending money I don't really have to fight this.

Thanks for listening lol.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

you cant get the company to call equifax on your behalf? to figure out whats going on

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
If you have ever tried to dispute something on your credit report from Equifax, all I can say is good luck.

Going into my second month of trying to get a bogus 40G student loan removed from my credit report. Doesn't snow up on the other two agencies, only on Equifax.

Calls to the company involved confirmed that I do not have or have ever had a student loan with them. They referred me to the Dept of Education. They also confirmed I have never had a student loan.

Yet Equifax informed me today my dispute was rejected because the company in question confirmed the account was mine.

This is so frustrating... just spent 25 minutes on hold only to be hung up on before getting a live person.

It's looking like I have no recourse at this point other than hiring a lawyer and spending money I don't really have to fight this.

Thanks for listening lol.

Yes, they are a pain. I deal with them on a weekly basis due to my job. You have realize though that you really aren't their customer. Their customer is businesses that use the reports to determine if you are credit worthy.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Could always try a counter suit to get your money back as well. Seems like a very unreasonable thing to happen. Make sure you RECORD EVERY INTERACTION!!! Try not to say to much as you might have to defend your stance at some point. No matter how proper something seems, it could always bite you in the ass. Also let those who you may record know you are doing so. This way if you do counter sue it doesn't look like entrapment or something of the sort.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Finally a small step forward....

I was given a fax number to the credit department of the company in question in order to get something written from them that this account is not mine.

That takes another 30 days.

Then I have to refile the dispute with Equifax with the documentation from the company in question. That takes another 30 days.

Thank goodness I have no plans on buying anything in the next few months.

What a freakin headache.
edit on R082015-01-29T12:08:20-06:00k081Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The credit rating agencies need to be more tightly regulated,they can basically do what they want and answer to no one.

Maybe you could contact the people who supposedly lent you the 40G and tell them you never received it,even if you never applied for the 40G loan, the company will have to do some checking to find out if the money was paid and who`s account it really is.

if they ask for the account number tell them you don`t have an account number because you never applied for a loan but since the loan is showing on your credit report and they confirmed to the credit agency that the account is yours,and you want the 40G which you never received.
Make them prove that they actually lent you the money,of course they won`t be able to because you never borrowed it but their investigation into whether you received the money or not will reveal that you never borrowed the money.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I hate all that nonsense, I pay one of those Identity theft companies (wont' say which cause not sure if it's again T&C or not) to take care of it for me. Some people say I'm stupid because everything they do, I could do for free on my own, but who has the time for that? Sometimes the Ease of mind is just worth the money

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I have heard that if you are a celebrity or a well known person, your credit can be "cleaned up" at any time. It only takes a few clicks of a button.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Call the place back that you said you do not have a loan with, get them to tell you the same thing. Record your phone call, play it back for those at Equifax.

I am unclear on the laws it would be wise to say that you are recording the conversation. Then if they still deny it, post it too youtube and call them out. Companies hate being called out.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I have become somewhat of a mini expert on this process.

Before you can sue you have to:

1. Dispute the item on your credit report.
2. If the dispute is unsuccessful, re-open the dispute with as much documentation as you can. (In progress)
3. If unable to resolve the dispute after submitting documentation proving your point, you have to open a case with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
4. If the CFPB can't get them to remove it, then you can sue the credit reporting agency for damages.

At least that's the way I understand it.

All of this will take me months to finalize, and I am so mad right about this that it isn't even funny.

Other info:

This loan only shows on Equifax....Transperian and TransUnion do not have this loan on my credit report.

This mysterious student loan is paid off... shows it was paid on time etc etc, but that 40,000 is still counting towards my financial totals on Equifax.

This loan just showed up on my credit report recently despite being opened in April 2003 and paid off in August 2014. But it shows the date of last activity as Feb 2013.

None of that makes any sense to me. Prior to retirement, I had a TS/SCI clearance and had to file a financial disclosure every year for the time frame covered... this was never on my credit report during those years. It suddenly showed up in Aug 2014.

Equifax also had 5 addresses listed for me that I have never lived at. None of these were on the other 2 reporting agencies. Equifax removed the 5 addresses but refuses to remove the student loan.

The rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper. LOL
edit on R152015-01-29T15:15:00-06:00k151Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R172015-01-29T15:17:25-06:00k171Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R192015-01-29T15:19:02-06:00k191Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R202015-01-29T15:20:26-06:00k201Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R262015-01-29T15:26:49-06:00k261Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R282015-01-29T15:28:00-06:00k281Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R292015-01-29T15:29:55-06:00k291Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Man, that is very weird.

Those reporting agencies have way too much power and control over us....they must be related to the IRS

I hope you can get it fixed ASAP.....have you been able to see the actual student loan paperwork?
Like who's name and SS# are on it??

posted on Feb, 1 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Good luck. I learned the hard way that if your identity is stolen and the person dies before you can find out about it and press charges, you are SOL. You have to press chargers for the reporting agencies to do anything and you can't press charges against a dead person.

My own mother destroyed my credit, but committed suicide before ever even attempted to establish credit. I fought for about two years before I gave up and decided to wait a couple years more for everything to fall off my report.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I was finally able to get an email to the loan company involved... one of the supervisors called me as I requested.

She said it was an actual loan but it was not mine. I faxed her a copy of the credit report and she said she would see that it is removed from my credit report.

Now I wait until I get something from her in writing stating that the loan is not mine, which I requested and she said she would mail me.

edit on R002015-02-02T11:00:08-06:00k002Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

top topics

join