It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Our Devices Own Us?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This story mentions a student who attacked his 62-year-old teacher for confiscating the kid's smartphone. Teachers allow phones to be used for school work, but not for other purposes.

But that's not the main gist. Are we too attached to our mobile devices? There have been people who wouldn't give up their cellphones at the threat of being shot.

I contend we have already crossed the Rubicon, almost irrevocably incorporating technology into our psyches in a way that makes us part flesh and blood, part hardware. The fact that the hardware is outside our bodies (for now) does not mean the integration has not occurred. We are psychologically magnetized to our devices. That’s why some people will fight for them, and even die for them.

The selfie has become so ubiquitous that it no longer seems bizarre to see someone smiling into a cellphone or sticking out her tongue or making a sad face — acting — and then snapping a photo. And these images are then sent not only to her supposed “friends,” who may number in the hundreds, but also to her unconscious mind — reinforcing the idea that she is what her cellphone records her to be. Take away the cellphone and, in some measure, she believes she disappears. She feels she dies a little bit, or more than a little bit, psychologically.

The business of selling “selfie sticks” — telescoping rods that hold a cellphone far enough away to facilitate a really good shot — is robust enough to make many retailers place large kiosks of them near the checkout register. Cellphones, you might say, are growing arms. Ours apparently aren’t long enough.

Source
This is the exact reason that I have always refused to own a cell phone, smart phone or any mobile device. I don't want to willingly travel the path that seems to be making people more and more dependent on the stimulus from something outside themselves.

There was a study recently that showed People Choose Electric Shock over Sitting Quietly for 15 Minutes. In other words, people needed SOME kind of stimulation so badly, that they administered shocks to themselves (that they had previously avoided) to avoid the boredom of sitting quietly for 15 minutes.

“What is striking is that simply being alone with their own thoughts for 15 minutes was apparently so aversive that it drove many participants to self-administer an electric shock that they had earlier said they would pay to avoid.”

Study: People Check Their Cellphones Every 6 Minutes

79% of People 18-44 Have Cell Phones 24 Hours a Day

Are people so addicted to this stimulation that they aren't even aware of it? Must they be constantly engaged and in touch with something outside themselves to feel "real" or "complete"? It seems to me that being a human being is no longer sufficient. People must "share" themselves and everything they do with their "friends"... And here's the pic for proof.

I believe it's a sickness, an addiction. If a teacher taking your smartphone is grounds for a knock-down drag out fight, something is terribly wrong and parents need to be more involved... that is, if they can tear themselves away from their smartphones long enough...
edit on 1/29/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

This is the exact reason that I have always refused to own a cell phone, smart phone or any mobile device. I don't want to willingly travel the path that seems to be making people more and more dependent on the stimulus from something outside themselves.

Same here I have never owned a cell phone and never will because I choose not to be a slave to a handheld electronic device.

I believe it's a sickness, an addiction.

You're right it is an addiction how are these people acting any different than a person with a drug addiction?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 29-1-2015 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Our cats own us, we are their slaves.

But some people are more concerned about their phones than their financial stability, paying more for their cell phone bill than they spend on food. I am wondering how this came to be, it seems something needs to be present for people to get that screwed up. The same goes with Cable TV. People will pay a hundred bucks a month to have selection.

We have eleven over the air free channels and we have plenty to watch. When we used to have the Satellite dish, we had a hundred fifty channels and it took too long to decide what to watch. Of the hundred fifty, fifty were sales pitches and junk TV. We don't watch sports and the news is just crap. So that left us with HBO and Showtime and we would watch the same shows over and over and go out to the video store to get new relleases. We were addicted. We do not rent videos anymore, we do not pay for dish, we do not even watch netflix or movies other than educational stuff on the net.

I am glad I am not addicted to that anymore. At least on ATS I can learn. I spend a lot of time doing research on multiple things on the net, and that is taking a toll on my eyes. I will have to get a better monitor.

I don't even have a cell phone anymore and the wife has a prepaid tracflone for ten bucks a month. I had a mobile phone before ninety nine percent of the people did here, and it costed a lot. I used it in my business and it did pay off even at a hundred bucks a month as it saved that in extra labor I would have had to pay. But I do not need a phone anymore, except a landline. I will take the wife's phone with me when I need to but most times it is not necessary.

I kicked the habit, if I did not see a need for my research on the net, I would gladly give that up. There is no way I would ever go back to college, what they teach is mostly one version of reality, and there are many versions to explore.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I think you're lumping up extreme cases with the general population. Sure the vast majority of us have cell phones, it's extremely convenient. I also have TV's, Video Game consoles, Furniture etc. I have cloth on me pretty much 24/7, does that mean i'm addicted to cloth? My wife would disagree

I love my phone, I also love my toaster when I need toasted bread. I think if they did an actual scientific study to determine percentage of those "addicted" to cell phones, it would be the same percentage as those addicted to Alcohol or any other substance.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I do have a cell phone, but it's the clamshell type and I only use it to call others, which is what a phone is for isn't it? I do love reading though, both digital and written word. People are amazed at how much I know about any particular subject when they have to Google it. (And half the time they believe the first bit of tripe that pops up)

In other words, I exercise my mind while they do not. We're well on the road to Ideocracy.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
My cell phone is dead half the time. My other half frequently reprimands me for not charging it or leaving it at home. He got me one of those glowing LED charging cords so I'll at least remember to plug it in because it looks cool.

Guess I'm not addicted, lol. I would hate it if I was.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Are people so addicted to this stimulation that they aren't even aware of it? Must they be constantly engaged and in touch with something outside themselves to feel "real" or "complete"? It seems to me that being a human being is no longer sufficient. People must "share" themselves and everything they do with their "friends"... And here's the pic for proof.

The devices don't "own" the human --the meme does. The device is simply the communication channel with the meme(s). The reward for the human is from the meme, delivered through the device.

Most memes are fairly benign and biologically neutral. They take small bits of free will here and there.

A few are extremely dangerous from a biological standpoint. These memes seek to strip 100% of human free will. You can realize for yourself what those are.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Normal flip phones are fine. I had one for a few years while all my friends had there heads down to there nice shiny new smart phones. I found it irritating as hell when I would talk to them and they literally would not hear me because they are on facebook or other sites. Then I finally caved, I wish I hadn't because now I cannot go without my smart phone.

I am a little different though I don't really use it for social media to get "likes" and to feel "popular" but I do use it as a reading and news source. I honestly believe it is like a drug, just look around at everyone, I bet they can't go 5 minutes without looking at their phone. If anyone here reads this and has a flip phone, just stick with that. I am serious.
edit on 29-1-2015 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I do not believe a teacher has any legal authority to confiscate any property belonging to another. The child should either be removed from the class or enforce suspension from school if used in the classroom. Either way she is not the police she has no right to anyones personal property.

Oh yeah and phones are awesome, every light in my house can be modified on the fly from a tablet or smart phone with every colour in the spectrum, they can be remote media controllers I can tunnel into my network with them, one tablet I have is perma linkd to a flat screen that sits a foot away from my PC, the tablets a few inches away from my mouse and acts a data terminal for my TV, man I can do so much crazy stuff with a smartphone or tablet IT HAS MADE MY LIFE BETTER.
edit on 29-1-2015 by Dabrazzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic We're well on the road to Ideocracy.

So close.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Dabrazzo

If it is school policy that phones or tablets not be allowed in class without permission, then yes, the teacher was totally right in this case. Myself...I would have accidentally damaged it putting it in a drawer or dropping it then stepping on it.

Only idiots have their heads down ignoring what is going on around them all the time. And they are breeding when they can take their mold filled heads out of their phone. Can't stand these so called Smart phones nor the freaking morons that use them all the time for some stupid #.

And you have also admitted that you are to lazy to take one step to change a channel.
Utterly pathetic. And apparently to lazy to even read the article. It was a man, not a woman who was attacked by the addict.
edit on 29-1-2015 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Notice how a number of posters have excused themselves from being taken in by these devices? Me to. But as I see it folks in general are swept up in this instant gratification syndrome that is offered by these devices. I think there is something dramatic going on with all of this that I just cannot put my finger on. The expression of consciousness that we have known in the past is morphing in ways that most of us do not comprehend. Our reliance on the electronic input may just drive us over the edge if the plug is pulled.

My desktop is fritzzen this morning and I am struggling to survive. Laptoping it now. Were it down also I think I would be catatonic.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Cell phones are tools.
Anyone with an addiction to them is no different than any other addiction. Like my attachment to black licorice.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Nah but see heres the thing, its not the smart phones fault, its the dumb dumbs that are using them. Technology should be embraced but the problem is our education system is not adapting fast enough, I guess thats why many older people are so confused about all this.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I love dinosaurs, which is why I have a land line 'phone, a desktop, 3 in 1 printer, and a slimline TV, that's it, this is to make up the two lines, other line being "a man is owned by his possessions" . (quite an old saying in some parts)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   

edit on 1711amkam4kam4 by Shakawkaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
In a word yes, I see so many people with zero Situational awareness it's sad.

Part of me hopes for a solar flare to cripple the electronics in this world.

Then the reality of that kind of world strikes me and I shudder and hope it never happens.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
this is how the zombie apocalypse happens, but instead of becoming zombies, we become cyborgs. and "the network" becomes our new god. the network sees all. the network knows all. the network giveth...and it taketh away.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I believe that many are owned and controlled by their cells. It does not matter if they are the "Clam Shell" non-Smartphones or Smartphones. Having been in the computer trade industry since 86 I remember when Orange phones came out. As a preferred supplier to Demon in the early years of conception, I was invited to the same deal all Demon employees received from Orange. I remember when txt was issued for free soon to be charged. I did not get it at first why would you text someone when a phone call got complete understanding and considering my plan and most contacts were Orange there was no differences in cost. Soon after Text option was available I was invited to a Demon Party which was rather amazing. Seeing everyone send txt msgs to ea other even though that person was a few feet if not inches away. The giggles. I suddenly felt out of it as I have not mastered the speed of the keypad!

My youngest begged for an Orange phone on my contract. Had to explain I was on a special deal... This held her until Orange reached out with a special advert aimed at kids..... "X" amount of mins free to a like phone. Only problem nobody read "LIKED"! My wife argue her corner.... Reluctantly I agreed being out numbered! Gems would pay for the phone over the contract rate out of pocket allowances whilst the contract amount would be worked off doing odd chores that she nor her sister ever had to do. That last concept was foreign to me but being American living in the UK my wife and two girls assured me that was an American thing.. Again being out numbered that was allowed to slide as it seemed that children where we lived had a right to a childhood!!!! LOL to have been envied over IMHO....

I kept asking Gems about her "credit points" how was she doing. She quite confidently suggested that she was well indeed still within those limits and admitted she was rather amazed as she used the phone often... Long story short the first bill came. It took my wife 8 days to show me. It was Gems, bless her, that cracked first as she felt so guilty. The reason she had so many "Credit points" left over was that out of all her friends only one had an Orange phone! The bill 4 figures and a "." point with 00 after it.

My ex wife batted her eye lids and Gems cuddled me... Yep company paid for it. From that point onwards to this day I am amazed how the Cell controls people. It used to be visitors express an embarrassment when they visit that they have to take a call or answer an occasional txt msg. LOL TTYL became new phrases one had to learn. Long before "SmartPhones" came out that the "Clam Shell" phones was no longer an embarrassment to use when visiting. Then it started at the dinner table. We had friends who visited who lived on their phones during a visit. I asked my ex wife who was not "ex" in those days what was the purpose of that visit considering we had less than 10 mins conversation without interruption of Cell usage.

Now no matter where you go people are doing something on a cell. Its no longer rude its understood that the phone rules.

I have now graduated to a "SmartPhone" when my daughter upgrade hers from Samsung to iPhone. All of a sudden I found it to be a computer tablet as its an Android. I have been doing things with that phone my daughter who insisted I change to the "modern" world of "SmartPhones". I use it to check ATS when having coffee "Alone" out never with company, it controls my media player, gives me news and weather report. I must say when walking in a strange town, which happens as both girls moved to cities away from home and of course being an "Ex" my wife kept the house lol, the "Smart Phone" now acts as a GPS navigator. When visiting my daughters home my "O2" Priorities app tells me where a free cuppa of latte is, press an on screen link shows me the way to their counter. I can go a day since I do have a Microsoft remote for the media player but it will not act like a mouse and keyboard as the "Smart Phone" works as well as file manager, without looking at said phone. If I am in another room the phone does not come with me which my daughter who becomes concerned after two or three days of me not responding to her txt msg. "Sweetheart" I did not hear it come in! My "Smart Phone" is not as clever as the "Clam Shell" which beeps until I checked missed calls or txt msgs. My daughter says, "But Dad the Samsung is neat it does not bother you just swipe the screen and there are printed alerts." hmmm I just prefer not to be that attached... Yep missed out a few opportunities because of this...

So yes most people are IMHO consumed by their phones "Smart" or otherwise. The amount of car accidents resulting from txting is unreal.... Then the other night something that has been on my mind for too many years echoes the OP here, I saw the movie "Men, Women and Children". Adam Sandler, Jennifer (OMG could not believe) Garner showed exactly how society has evolved. Me living in a small fishing village in Devon England far removed from cities I was blown away by this film.

The Movie Men Women and Children IMDB

SnF - I thought I had a personal problem.... clearly this bothers others as well...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join