It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia Beach Police offering precinct lobbies as a safe place for Craigslist transactions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
We've all heard the stories where unsuspecting customers/sellers find death at the end of an online transaction through sites like Craigslist. Well the Virginia Beach Police have an idea for how both customers and sellers could be safe.

Virginia Beach, Va. (WTKR)- Virginia Beach Police are offering up the police precinct lobby as a safe place for folks to conduct transactions arranged through classified advertisement websites like Craigslist.

Obviously there would be some restrictions on this program dubbed "Find a Safe Place".

According to Virginia Beach Police, the offer does not extend to transactions involving: Large, cumbersome household items, appliances and landscape care equipment The sale of any contraband, stolen property or other illegal items

Seems like a good idea and a great way for police to protect and serve their communities. What are your thoughts ATS?

Source

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
It seems to be something they worked out as my home town Sheriff department is doing the same. Hopefully it prevents someone from getting hurt, unless of course they are selling firearms then they might get shot or arrested or both.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: FraggleRock

Usually, if I try a bit I can find a downside to anything the police offer but in this case even if there is one this is still a good idea.

I hope this catches with departments nationwide.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Well I got one, they can use this to make sure money doesn't get exchanged with out being taxed.

I know it's a stretch, but just one of the things popped in my head.

I do like the idea though, those transactions can get pretty sketchy and will also save you from getting stolen stuff.

If you say you want meet there and they say they don't want to, red flag.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I thought about the tax angle, but you can't be taxed on goods you already paid tax on when you acquired them unless you are making a profit. Just about everything I have ever bought on there has been second-hand stuff so I don't think there are many things that will be sold above retail

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   
My local cop shop has done this for a couple of years but nobody I know has taken advantage of it.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   

We already do it for people who are divorced / etc to exchange children for the weekend and what not. I think its a good idea to expand on it.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

We already do it for people who are divorced / etc to exchange children for the weekend and what not. I think its a good idea to expand on it.

police do that in the U.S...well there you go......here in Australia the police have no interest in these things...they do not even act upon family court orders...get this if someone breaks said order you have to go back to court get a contravention order ,then take that to the federal police to act,local police do not touch it ...curiously what would the police where you are do in this case ?

On topic that is a great idea should definitely be expanded on,and should in time make these kind of internet sales crimes a thing of the past
edit on 29-1-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   

While I don't have an issue with this in principle, there are those that are a bit overly paranoid and I have problems with the idea of giving their paranoia credence. The problem is we have all heard the stories. And while they are real events, the truth is they aren't the norm. One of the problems this country has is the 24 hour news cycle and the speed at which the news is propagated across the country.

The various craigslist murder stories are stories that two decades ago wouldn't have been bigger than the local paper. The press has pretty much turned this country into a people that are now afraid of their own shadows. This story is a prime example of this overreaction.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Finally cops have a great idea! Damn just when I thew in the towel on them.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Court orders are an odd area. Generally violating a court order is up to the courts to determine a course of action and not law enforcement. Even making an arrest for violation of one is limited and would depend on the specific order issued by the court and the terms set. Violating a court order is essentially tantamount to contempt of the court.

There are criminal laws that can apply though (parental kidnapping / custodial interference / etc). We do our best to work with the courts in those areas. We encourage people to use the police premises / fire department premises when there is some type of issues between the parties who want a neutral setting.

As for craigslist sales sure. Currently I know of no departmental policies that prohibit it. I will state we rarely are asked to stand by while the exchanges / meetings occur. We are usually notified by one of the parties about what's going on and why they are there. We ask the standard questions to determine if we need to be present although that is usually or the child / relationship issue area.

edit on 29-1-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
if I were the party that had the cash to exchange for the item...I would still be worried

why ?
well, because a couple of criminal minded people could communicate with cell phones... the one inside the building could come up with some excuse for not having the item to be exchanged...they would phone the buddy waiting in a car outside with your description... follow you (the target) to an opportune place to relieve you of the monies intended to buy that craigslist item....
lets just say it was a 100 OZs of 10 ounce bars of silver at market ( premiums that can amount to nearly $600 )

~ you as buyer would be toting around $1760. expecting to escape the $600 of premium costs you would be paying the coin or bullion dealer... a pretty good pay day for an industrious pair of thieves huh

I favor a post office or postal business to pay the money, you give the seller a key to a PO Box with an envelope containing the money... other wise you don't give the seller the key... public place, witnesses, perhaps the store owner or workers present so that a strong-arm robbery would attract attention
edit on th31142252987129112015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock
We've all heard the stories where unsuspecting customers/sellers find death at the end of an online transaction through sites like Craigslist. Well the Virginia Beach Police have an idea for how both customers and sellers could be safe.

Virginia Beach, Va. (WTKR)- Virginia Beach Police are offering up the police precinct lobby as a safe place for folks to conduct transactions arranged through classified advertisement websites like Craigslist.

Obviously there would be some restrictions on this program dubbed "Find a Safe Place".

According to Virginia Beach Police, the offer does not extend to transactions involving: Large, cumbersome household items, appliances and landscape care equipment The sale of any contraband, stolen property or other illegal items

Seems like a good idea and a great way for police to protect and serve their communities. What are your thoughts ATS?

Source

Disregard..

ID
edit on 29-1-2015 by ItalianDressing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: KeliOnyx

I agree, I've sold a few high dollar items on Craigslist, I just met the person in a very public place gas station, made the transaction and that was it, they got the item, I got my money.
Just meet in a very public place, and you shouldnt have any problems

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Seems like a ridiculous overreaction to try to compensate for lack of common sense in some people that resulted in a few crimes.

How about expanding on this and using some of the empty holding cells for hookups too?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Its not a bad idea, because if anyone mentioned a police precinct as a meeting spot the other (if they were up to no good) would back out or try to make a different meeting spot.

My fiancee sells hand made goods on Craigslist and online yard sale sites, she has had a couple close calls. Men showing up instead of wemon and someone wanting to meet after dark in a out of the way place. Thank goodness she had enough sense not to get out of the car or not meet at all. Comen sence helps but sometimes you never know.

A plus for my fiancee

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Seems like a ridiculous overreaction to try to compensate for lack of common sense in some people that resulted in a few crimes.

It is kind of silly I guess, but people will definitely make use of it, for sure. I live near the city in question, and drive there sometimes to sell things to people on craigslist. I went to sell some stamps to an old man, and he told me that he had been robbed by someone from craigslist in his home, with a gun pulled on him.

I don't know if it's the same way everywhere, but alot of people are scared to use craigslist, and if they do, they're very cautious. Usually people want to meet in a public place anyways, where it feels a little safer.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
civil forfeiture, k-9 sitting in lobbies sniffing folks that come in and confiscating the money.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: FraggleRock

Source

Sounds like a good idea, until the killer decides to follow the victim home after the transaction.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   
You just know the stupid are going to come in with stolen goods. The give away will be the dilated eyes and acne from hell.

top topics

join