It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People With No Religion Underrepresented...in New Congress

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
But I say that Buzzy has a point!

Where are the obese lawmakers? What about the blind ones and the deaf ones? And I'm guessing we have no autistic ones. Then we also likely have none who are mentally challenged. I mean, gosh, if we must have a Congressional Body that is perfectly reflective of every tiny group in society to a proportional degree ...

Then there are a LOT of people who need to sign on to this thread and complain, not just the atheists.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
if we must have a Congressional Body that is perfectly reflective of every tiny group in society to a proportional degree ...

Exactly. Then there would be quotas that have to be filled. It would no longer be a free election.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

What would you constitute as 'proof'?
Okay, you win. I posted an article about a research report saying that the proportion of Congress members' religiosity is out of skew with the general population statistics.

I don't want to argue with you, Mrs Mod.

The Blaze is the scum of the net, in my opinion - Alternet has their freaks and they push things I don't agree with, too.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the thread. My bad.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

what the hell are you talking about?

let's try this again:

But I say that Buzzy has a point!

Where are the obese lawmakers? What about the blind ones and the deaf ones? And I'm guessing we have no autistic ones. Then we also likely have none who are mentally challenged. I mean, gosh, if we must have a Congressional Body that is perfectly reflective of every tiny group in society to a proportional degree ...

Oh, I see.

Nono, there are LOBBYISTS for all of those.
For CRYING OUT LOUD! It's just a run of numbers! Some algorithm somebody put together to compare percentages...

GHA! Whatever - carry on.
edit on 1/29/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Okay, ladies - I concede the field to you. I'm not up to full strength right now having recently lost a loved one.

Carry on -
GO CHALLENGED THEOCRACY!

I'm done.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
It was after YOU said 'ignored'. I repeated the word in my response. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Incorrect.

You said both of these BEFORE I came on the thread -

originally posted by: [post=18936104]BuzzyWigs[o/post]
Elected officials need to pay attention to their constituents.... ALL of them.

originally posted by: [post=18936104]BuzzyWigs[o/post]
And - so - how are the REST of us (non-religious) being represented? We aren't.

And no one 'put the words in your mouth' after I came on.
You were very clear and very strong, even using capital letters.
You knew what you were saying.

So again .. how are all the members of the new congress failing to represent all their constituents. What EXACTLY are they doing or not doing?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

what the hell are you talking about?

You are complaining that you aren't represented because there are no atheist lawmakers.

Well, tough! Do you think I felt at all represented during the two years of Obama and Democrat super-majority? Nope!

I guess what goes around, comes around.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I posted an article about a research report saying that the proportion of Congress members' religiosity is out of skew with the general population statistics.

If you had posted the actual PEW report then that would be correct. But instead, you posted to the alternet crap that was just full of fear mongering partisan rhetoric. Alternet is to the left, what the Blaze is to the right.

The article fails to explain exactly how the country is in doom and gloom because people of faith are in office - using facts and not partisan rhetoric. It fails to say how those people have failed their constituents. It fails to say what the 'remedy' would be ... force people to fill quotas of atheists etc? We don't know .. the article doesn't say.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

You are complaining that you aren't represented because there are no atheist lawmakers.

Well, tough! Do you think I felt at all represented during the two years of Obama and Democrat super-majority? Nope!

I AM NOT AN ATHEIST.

I AM NOT GAY.

I AM NOT BLACK.

I AM NOT any of those things that are making headlines. I'm a normal middle-aged, educated adult with two grown children who just wants the tension an divisiveness to stop. Globally.

I never said anything about MYSELF being underrepresented!! I write to my congresspeople when the spirit moves me. I get responses. They don't ignore me - just don't do what I asked them to. Fine. Whatever.

I posted an article and asked for thoughts on it.
I'm not an atheist.

Funny that you feel so assaultive.....or is it defensive?
Are you scared?
If so, of what?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

The article fails to explain exactly how the country is in doom and gloom because people of faith are in office - using facts and not partisan rhetoric.

The article didn't ATTEMPT to say anything about doom and gloom - Neither did the report. Where did you get that angle? You made the extrapolation yourself. Doom and gloom?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

The article fails to explain exactly how the country is in doom and gloom because people of faith are in office

Let's try this:

The article fails to explain exactly how the GLOBAL POPULATION is in doom and gloom and think of those in office abroad - to include Supreme Leaders, Kings, Zionists, etc.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Oh, excuse me. You're the one who started it with claims that people without faith aren't represented.

Do you honestly think that the only things important to someone are whether or not he or she prays or does not pray to a higher power?

Or do you think every issue breaks down to God in the end and thus it must be disqualified if you can chase the trail to the wrong god or simply a god?

Seriously, our house is on fire and all you can do is argue about whether or not we should don sackcloth and ashes while it burns.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Do you think I felt at all represented during the two years of Obama and Democrat super-majority? Nope!

Um...Obama is a Christian. So are most of the Democrats. What does that have to do with this conversation?

Oooohhhhh - so, you think having Godpeople instead would be an improvement. Because Obama and the Democrats aren't 'Goddy' enough?

And by the way, from what I know of you, your 'interests' (being accumulating wealth above all else) give away why you've felt so imposed upon.....thanks for answering my question
(which was what are you afraid of)
You're afraid for your money.
Sorry. Forgot. Jesus said to hoard as much as possible, after all.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Seriously, our house is on fire and all you can do is argue about whether or not we should don sackcloth and ashes while it burns.

You'll have to call in the firemen, then, who are all HIDING. In tax shelters. And herding the pitiful peasants to their posts in the factory of a morning while laughing up their sleeves at how a nickel a day is such a cheap labor bargain - and that's for a double-shift! ONLY A NICKEL! Can you just IMAGINE how expensive it would be to actually pay Americans? And taxes so they don't all starve? Meh - charities will take care of the ones that are really hungry.

Your hiding firemen set the fire. I didn't. If they want to put the fire out, they need to come the hell home and step up.

edit on 1/29/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Where did you get that angle? You made the extrapolation yourself.

Got it from the rhetoric filled link YOU posted in relation to the original article.

Alternet - Thugs and Demagogues: 7 Right-Wing Wackos the Media Will Shove Down Our Throats in 2016

It was equal parts a right-wing talent and freak show, where anything that could be called liberal was derided as weak, morally loose, indecisive, coddling and a failure. Federal government and union-represented public schools are scourges and the source of the major problems that Americans face, they said repeatedly, adding that only the GOP could give working people the tools needed to finally prosper. That agenda includes sealing the borders, dismantling Obamacare, shutting government agencies, cutting taxes and red tape for small business, gutting unions, privatizing schools, protecting Christian liberty and traditional marriage, and using the military.

On the other hand, the last thing the country needs is to be drenched in endless right-wing propagandizing about the evils of government, unions, liberalism, safety nets, environmentalism, and diplomacy overseas, and how conservative Christian values are imperiled.

The thought of all that is absurd, but it's also doom and gloom from a liberal perspective.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I've got no idea what that post is about.
Not even going to try to figure it out ....

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Do you think I felt at all represented during the two years of Obama and Democrat super-majority? Nope!

Um...Obama is a Christian. So are most of the Democrats. What does that have to do with this conversation?

Oooohhhhh - so, you think having Godpeople instead would be an improvement. Because Obama and the Democrats aren't 'Goddy' enough?

And by the way, from what I know of you, your 'interests' (being accumulating wealth above all else) give away why you've felt so imposed upon.....thanks for answering my question
(which was what are you afraid of)
You're afraid for your money.
Sorry. Forgot. Jesus said to hoard as much as possible, after all.

What a staggering number of assumptions. You know what they say about those.

You are making an excellent attempt to kafkatrap though. I commend you.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Okay, I see your point. Yes, Alternet gets frantic. Because I lean left, I prefer it to The Blaze.

My primary news comes from CNN and Jon Stewart. You and I know each other, FlyersFan. The more I see the goings-on in this country, the more I despair.

The more news that comes from the ME, the more I feel hopeless.
This country needs a change, that is obvious. The global diplomacy needs to be improved.

I just don't think 'religion' has anything to offer to that. The world leaders who are religious are considered to be tyrants, all over the world. You know I really dig the new Pope, and if he wanted to run for President, I would commit voter fraud to get him in there.

The standing hopefuls? There's honestly not ONE of them I have any interest in -

Why can't we just remove religion from the conversation altogether?
(I mean "we" as a global population, not 'you and I')

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

ma'am - perhaps you have forgotten our previous conversations.
I have not.
Your priorities are very clear. I read what people post.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I hear you and I share much of your disdain in the area of religion.

And I got stuck living in Alabama for 9 years so I understand frustration when it comes to fundamentalist practices and how it interferes with the lives of others.

The only way you are going to get a religiously balanced Congress is to force quotas. And that won't work because which district is going to get 'atheist' forced on them or 'muslim' forced on them or 'Catholic' forced on them. The elections have to be free and the people have to pick.

We have secular rule of law. And the old laws based on religions are disappearing - Like with Marriage Equality.

Honestly, almost all the Christians I know are embracing Marriage Equality even though it goes against the tenants of the Abrahamic religions. They are evolving.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join