It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoaxers, Believers, Researchers, & Debunkers: A Case Study

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
a reply to: Paperjacket

I am not sure what the word "Vallee" you mentioned means.

I think it has to do with parking cars or maybe this guy: Jacques Vallée

Vallée Parking

edit on 6-2-2015 by draknoir2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I'm with you.

And, being from the "Show Me" state of Missouri, I was raised to be skeptical. I do however believe that skepticism can become a church of belief as much as any other religion.

What I've personally learned through experience in my life is the following...

1. I do not know everything, in fact, I know very, very little
  2. I purposefully strive to learn every day, and as a result, it is likely that I myself discover things I formerly thought true actually are not
  3. I've learned not to be surprised when I find out that something I thought was the truth, wasn't...
  4. Almost everyone has an objective and or something they need, and therefore, a spin they want/need to sellv
  5. Governments, corporations, congregations, and many other groups with an established interest are not usually looking out for your own best interest. Unfortunately, from experience, I've found that the ones which say they are, often turn out to actually NOT be what they claim to bev
  6. I've learned not to ignore a particular source, such as, Republicans, Liberals, Ducks, etc. Doing so can lead to further and unnecessary consumption of fallacies due to omission....
  7. Group think is toxic, highly toxic....

An axiom I believe in?

"Illusion is the first of all peasures..."
- Voltaire

( Dear Lord [in a non religious manner], I wish I could have partied with this dude...Something tells me he's a white russian kinda guy....)

I believe in a balance. Moderation. Eating a variety of things. The same thing goes for my own mental intake of information. Some things are too sugary or by definition high fiber. Others, like cumin, when taken in the right amount are excellent....too much? A bad thing. Without it? A bland dish.
edit on 6-2-2015 by nullafides because: Really? You cannot embed a list within a list? How limiting...

edit on 6-2-2015 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

extra DIV

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Others, like cumin, when taken in the right amount are excellent....too much? A bad thing.

I generally dont put anything in my mouth that's spelled like that.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Others, like cumin, when taken in the right amount are excellent....too much? A bad thing.

I generally dont put anything in my mouth that's spelled like that.

I understand your humor. Would it have been less likely to introduce a spice name such as Thyme? Basil? Allspice?

Honestly, after the effort I put forth in the response I posted, I would have hoped that you might have caught that and replied in a respectful manner.

I'd imagine with a one liner like what you've offered, you're a hit with the 12 year olds...

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I understand your humor. Would it have been less likely to introduce a spice name such as Thyme? Basil? Allspice?
Yeah, I couldn't do anything with those spices except maybe a Simon and Garfunkel song or something.

Honestly, after the effort I put forth in the response I posted, I would have hoped that you might have caught that and replied in a respectful manner.

I didn't feel the need to carve up your post so it was acceptable.

I'd imagine with a one liner like what you've offered, you're a hit with the 12 year olds...

You know it! My kids think I'm a comedic genius.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

Bud, just go back to the kids table. The adults are having a conversation.

Have a great day.

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

Bud, just go back to the kids table. The adults are having a conversation.

Have a great day.

- Voltaire

( Dear Lord [in a non religious manner], I wish I could have partied with this dude...Something tells me he's a white russian kinda guy....)

...My dream dude to party with....Immanuel Kant. I would be so like yo dude, lets party and he would be like yeah alright lets do this...
Jägerbombs with Manny would be like totally sweeeeeeet

edit on 6-2-2015 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides
An axiom I believe in?

- Voltaire

...My dream dude to party with....Immanuel Kant. I would be so like yo dude, lets party and he would be like yeah alright lets do this...

The Dude abides!

...back to the topic:

originally posted by: Paperjacket

I am not sure what the word "Vallee" you mentioned means.

I think it has to do with parking cars or maybe this guy: Jacques Vallée

Thx for your help and frankly speaking I have not read his theory and I don't think I can make any comments at this moment. But the wiki link does look like he is a sort of researcher who brings possible theory to explain UFO, a phenomenen remains unsolved and open for any reasonable explanations. If his theory is not proved wrong, it remains a possibility.

Sure, but this still goes against your original flowchart. In your flowchart, if no proof can be found that a sighting is terrestrial, then it seems that you automatically discount the possibility that it could be terrestrial (i.e., the flowchart then goes directly to "extraterrestrial"). Your flowchart leaves out the possibility that it could still be terrestrial -- it could still be, but there is no proof that it is. However, the possibility is still open.

That's the same thing as if you don't have proof that it is extraterrestrial, we can't automatically discount the possibility that it could still be extraterrestrial -- it could still be, but there is no proof that it is. However, the possibility is still open.

edit on 2/6/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Agreed and I’d like to feedback something interesting.

1+2=intelligent. In fact, arrogance is just the mirror image of stupidity. 50 years ago, nobody can imagine how a virgin could give a birth and how a man could PRODUCE another man by copying himself, it could simply happen in the bible. NOW, everybody knows that we can achieve it by CLONE technology. The thing is, it would be wise to be open minded because we know simply too little.

5+6+7=Independent thinking is vital. Groups such as government serve their stakeholders and follow their own rationality that is different from individual rationality. Therefore, will they lie to the public? Of course there exist such possibilities and the only way to make rational conclusions is through independent thinking.

Again, I’d like to raise one of my favorite quote: “The universe is vast and men are but tiny specks on an insignificant planet. But the more we realize our minuteness and our impotence in the face of cosmic forces, the more astonishing becomes what human beings have achieved.” –Bertrand Russell.

edit on 8-2-2015 by Paperjacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

You simply missed something in my chart. Besides "extraterrestrial", there may be some other conclusions.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

You simply missed something in my chart. Besides "extraterrestrial", there may be some other conclusions.

I think it's you who missed something in your chart.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2I think it's you who missed something in your chart.

But which part I'm curious

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: draknoir2I think it's you who missed something in your chart.

But which part I'm curious

No you're not.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: draknoir2

Who would your dream party dude be?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

a reply to: draknoir2

Who would your dream party dude be?

Bill S. Preston Esq.