It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raul Castro Wants Guantanamo Bay Back

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
rt.com...Raul Castro is playing hardball now that the US has reopened diplomatic relations with Cuba.

Castro reaffirmed Cuba’s willingness to normalize relations with the US, but stressed that the embargo must first be lifted. "The main problem has not been resolved: the economic, commercial and financial blockade, which causes huge human and economic damage and is a violation of international rights," Castro said at a Latin American summit in Costa Rica on Wednesday. The Cuban president also noted that the US must return Guantanamo to Cuba before full rapprochement. Guantanamo Bay has been under US control for over a century. Castro stressed that he would not let Washington interfere in Cuba's internal affairs.

So does the US finally start listening to these (seemingly reasonable) demands? Or do we go right back to the Cold War stalemate and start ignoring Cuba beyond illegally importing their cigars and baseball players?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AshOnMyTomatoes

Well the Prez promised to close it, so in thinking of his political legacy I would venture to say he will consider it quite seriously.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Maybe after they pay their 6 billion dollar debt....maybe.

Ah, forget it . Obama will forgive it..

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I don't think they have ever cashed the cheque they get from America for the base being there , same with Russia and the Cheque they got Alaska with must have way to much money

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface

Well the Prez promised to close it, so in thinking of his political legacy I would venture to say he will consider it quite seriously.

It isn't just a prison. We also maintain a military base there one which we are not likely to give back. It is too strategically valuable.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I would love to see Cuba become a successful country, and surely they see it's not going to accomplish that with Russia and Argentina as the primary "helpers". Not that the US is sitting on easy street, but I am almost certain we can improve things there.

But this:

Castro stressed that he would not let Washington interfere in Cuba's internal affairs.

This Is the line in the sand. Of course the U.S. government will cross it. It's our forte and that we would not try, is wishful thinking..... surely they know that.

Unless of course, there is an underlying message of "please don't throw me in that briar patch", lol. Yeah, a stretch. Just sayin'.
edit on 1/28/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: KeliOnyx

It's in a strategic location for sure, and that's why I only said he would give it serious consideration. Base aside for the moment, Obama knows that the entire globe would have a party if that prison place disappeared off the face of the earth.

edit on 28-1-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
so what does the US get out of the deal ? anything ?

it seems like a long way to go for obama to fulfill a campaign promise considering he is a year form being done.

I just don't see any other reason to do it, it's nuts

what am I missing ?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Well the Prez promised to close it

He did not actually...

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Well, I found an executive order to that effect here.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

a reply to: hellobruce

Well, I found an executive order to that effect here.

Did you read it?

"Closure Of Guantanamo Detention Facilities"

NOT closing Guantanamo Bay..... there is a big difference!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Considering that the US maintains military bases in lots of countries where we were once an enemy (Germany, etc), it's a pretty ballsy move. Let's assume for a moment in the name of peace we DID decide to shut Gitmo down altogether. Would other countries start to jump on the bandwagon and ask us to get out? Maybe the closing of Gitmo would be a positive turning point in US international relations.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If I can get Cuban cigars at 4 bucks each I say GIVE IT BACK!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

can't say about cooba, but russia did.

here is the check.

Treasury Warrant in the Amount of $7.2 Million for the Purchase of Alaska
if you look close you can see paid in the canceled mark.

With this check, the United States completed the purchase of almost 600,000 square miles of land that would become our 49th state. This Treasury Warrant, issued on August 1, 1868 at the Sub-Treasury Building at 26 Wall Street, New York, New York, transferred $7,200,000.00 to the Russian Minister to the United States, Edouard de Stoeckl. The purchase price of the 49th state — two cents an acre.

edit on 28-1-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Guantanamo Bay was what allowed Cuba to even exist. So if we want to go back to 1902 and tear it up and go the other route where Cuba becomes American territory, fine with me. No idea why Castro wants that.

Or is he saying he wants to violate the treaty because Cuba already got American assistance?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
a reply to: nwtrucker

I don't think they have ever cashed the cheque they get from America for the base being there , same with Russia and the Cheque they got Alaska with must have way to much money

They have, they claimed it was an accident.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Thanks hounddoghowlie it shows to research things and not believe everything on the net

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

i found that out when they were making a stink about getting that island back off the coast.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Hopefully they drop the blockade so we can get in there to set up a central bank and spread democracy to this poor country ;(

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Culturally Cuba has much to offer. I'd like to see relations get better on that basis alone. However, it seems that it would be good for the "carpet baggers" that want to exploit it though, I don't like that idea too much.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join