It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice needed on the usability of a 10 year old PC.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Theres an epic ton of XP machines still in use across the world. XP is the least resource hogging of the newer OS groups. Keep it. Throw in 2 1gb sticks of ram total, and an SSD of 30-60gb to store your data with. Replace the old hard drive so it doesnt die on you during usage(as they tend to) Those 8400 dells were definitely work horses. I put mine through hell and back and all I ever really had to replace on it was the motherboard after a power surge through my cable modem came into my net card and fried her. That was about 5 years into having the device

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: kingofyo1
Theres an epic ton of XP machines still in use across the world. XP is the least resource hogging of the newer OS groups. Keep it. Throw in 2 1gb sticks of ram total, and an SSD of 30-60gb to store your data with. Replace the old hard drive so it doesnt die on you during usage(as they tend to) Those 8400 dells were definitely work horses. I put mine through hell and back and all I ever really had to replace on it was the motherboard after a power surge through my cable modem came into my net card and fried her. That was about 5 years into having the device

Yeah the company I work for still runs a number of them - I'd just as soon throw them all through a window; the OS is stable - but even Microsoft has written it off as 'over'.

Back on topic though - OP - if you do run software from the time period, you'll get away with it - it was a big system back in its day...

Based on what you're saying you're gonna use it for, I say you'll probably be okay - but don't expect much more.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
a reply to: DigitalJedi805

Thats a nice setup!

And thank you

If it takes more than 2 seconds to log in after my password - I start getting mad...

Dreamweaver boots in about 2-3 seconds; Photoshop about the same. It's an absolute monster.

Lol I'm almost inclined to screen-capture a startup of all 20 items on my taskbar... It's fun to demo

Outlook, Torch, W. Explorer, Word, Excel, FileZilla, Remote Desktop..., VNC..., Photoshop, Visual Studio, Eclipse, Dreamweaver, MySQL Workbench, MS SQL Manager, Sublime - maybe... 10-15 seconds and it's all open. Fun.
edit on 28-1-2015 by DigitalJedi805 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DigitalJedi805

I used to get annoyed but I've mellowed over the years and don't mind waiting, I have a look out of the window or check ats for 30 seconds while things load.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Fellow skinflint i bow to your tightness
i am using a 9 year old machine and still running xp on it just for surfing the web , i got it for nothing as it was going to get chucked but i added a gig of ram and updated all the drivers for free with i click and it still works good

If it is not free then i am not buying it

www.iobit.com...
download.cnet.com...
download.cnet.com...

edit on 28/1/2015 by douglas5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
Please, do not listen to most who down this machine. I have been doing computer repair since 1985 on the commodore 64. Yes this is an ancient relic. Get 4 gig ram. Install Win 7 Ultimate. 3.4ghz with an 800 bus is not the worst, it has Hyper Threading which means it can ACT like a dual core... The thing that makes this is that geforce 6800! I am very into video cards, old Geforces and this one is very nice. It will play any game that you download. Most games you buy it will play, maybe at a lower resolution but i know it will play tiger woods 2012 and left for dead 1 and 2. More memory the better it will run. Use 64bit OS, if you need a free one, download LINUXMINT x64. Its free and is just like windows xp/7 without the virus troubles. The machine is worth about $60 after you install 2 gig of ram.

Thank you
Bud316

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join