It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attacked and Hacked ... ( and Ongoing "Cyber-Wars" )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

The threat posed by cyber war to our increasingly complicated, technologically dependent and vulnerable financial institutions, markets, banks and indeed deposits becomes more clear by the day.

In July of last year Bloomberg reported that malware had been detected in the system of the Nasdaq exchange. It’s purpose was unclear but it was believed to have been embedded there by Russian hackers.

There is also the alleged hacking of Sony Pictures by North Korea and the alleged hacking of Facebook, Instagram and Tinder yesterday.

The alleged busting of a Russian spy-ring in New York on Monday, for gathering intelligence that could be used for “destabilisation of the markets” highlights yet again that the threat posed by cyber-warfare is a growing one.

Yesterday morning social networks Facebook and Instagram were allegedly hacked by ‘Lizard Squad’, a group of hackers apparently sympathetic to ISIS. The group have previously hacked Malaysian Airlines.
The first high-profile case of nation-states using cyber-warfare was the unleashing of the “stuxnet worm” – apparently created by Israel and the US – on Iran’s nuclear energy enrichment plant in Netanz in 2010. It almost caused a major environmental catastrophe.

In 2012, Iran devastated the computer network of Saudi Aramco in a similar attack.

Banks have been hacked, stock exchanges have been hacked and critical infrastructure have been hacked in recent years. It is likely that many of these small scale attacks have been merely testing of defenses.
Read More

-
OBSERVATIONS-n-OPINIONS:

After recovering from a state of Sensory-Overload ...

I thought of a couple of additional defenses for folks Logging-Onto-Financial-Accounts:

1. User-Option to Only-Allow-Access-With-Current-User's-IP-Address.
(otherwise a phone call to the financial institution would be necessary for reset)

2. This (new?) "User-Option" should be stored in a separate (one-to-one relationship) database.
(i.e. if one database were to be successfully-hacked, the other database would also need to be also be successfully-hacked for completed information)

AND

Prior Hacking-Links-Including-Observations-n-Opinions

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
You can watch the cyber war going on real time here.

map.ipviking.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: FarleyWayne

I think the next war will indeed be hacking....reminds me of the roleplaying game shadowrun I used to play in highschool. Nukes are too damaging and people are looking for the next best weapon. Almost everything is online today....police reports, medical records, etc. I was at the doctors a few years ago and they couldn't a picture up of my leg because the internet was down.

And its not stopping either...with more and more things becoming tied to the web...hell even refridgerators now have internet...ill be damned if some hacker is going to # up my grocery list!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Everyone needs to check activity daily within checking accounts to spot theft or unusual transactions.
It is increasing not decreasing.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

OPINION:

Set your Home-Routers to ...ONLY ALLOW KNOWN MAC-IDs.

I.E. IF your refridgerator, tv and/or etc aren't listed in your home-router then they will NOT likely connect to the internet.

( unless your neighbors wireless router is unprotected ... which would be called 'gotcha!' ).

edit on 28-1-2015 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join