It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thanks to Nanotech the Space Elevator is closer to reality w/a cable made of diamonds

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Since it has first been hypothesized the space elevator has intrigued me. The notion of leaving our planet (ground floor) on an elevator and reaching the (top floor) space is AWESOME! BUT it seems very 1950's in a way as well almost Jetsons-esc.
" Scientists at Penn State University in the US released a research paper last month that showed the way forward to producing ultra-thin "diamond nanothreads" that have a strength and stiffness greater than that of today's strongest nanotubes and polymers."
Here is the article from CNN explaining the advancement in achieving this ambitious goal!
My question to you all out in ATS is would you ride the elevator? If so how much would the ride be worth to you?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DjembeJedi
Since it has first been hypothesized the space elevator has intrigued me. The notion of leaving our planet (ground floor) on an elevator and reaching the (top floor) space is AWESOME! BUT it seems very 1950's in a way as well almost Jetsons-esc.
" Scientists at Penn State University in the US released a research paper last month that showed the way forward to producing ultra-thin "diamond nanothreads" that have a strength and stiffness greater than that of today's strongest nanotubes and polymers."
Here is the article from CNN explaining the advancement in achieving this ambitious goal!
My question to you all out in ATS is would you ride the elevator? If so how much would the ride be worth to you?

I'd do it. Probably cost you a fortune for the privilege, but defo worth it.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Perhaps Zep and the Beatles accessed some arcane wisdom in their ''quest''.

It does sound like the makings of a 50's B movie.

If ever such an ''elevator'' could be made, I suspect there would be further technological advancements that would either realise it wasn't such a good idea / there would be an easier way/ advanced alien beings wouldn't allow it. Perhaps it is more relevant as a euphemism for some space time manipulation on matter.

edit on 28-1-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
It's hard to imagine...sorry for the Lennon....something that long being able to support its own weight yet alone lift anything.
I'm not going one the first ride.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
It's hard to imagine...sorry for the Lennon....something that long being able to support its own weight yet alone lift anything.
I'm not going one the first ride.

There is a big 'anchor' out in space - the centrifugal force from the rotation of the earth is what keeps it out there and keeps the line tight.

I'd be more concerned about the line popping and 'off you go.'

There is another concept of a rotating tether that touches down every rotation...little more pucker factor with that on.

Paper on the Skyhook
edit on 28-1-2015 by Seamrog because: added linky....

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Didn't the tether experiment show there was huge amount of electricity up there....not sure having a line down to earth would be a safe thing.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ken10

Carbon fiber/diamond would not conduct electricty.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: GV1997

Not even when wet if it was raining ?

I'm not sure to be honest.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

But there is no guarantee of it being clear of conductive matter / trapping space debris etc, also the supposed ''anchor'' might not be very anchoring in fluctuations of Earth's rotations, for example Pole shift / planetary interactions / impact factors etc. It sounds less and less stable as a theory.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ken10
Not even when wet if it was raining ?

I'm not sure to be honest.

No, not even if it were raining. The cable will be close to 20,000 miles long.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Unless the conductive matter covers its entire length, which it wont, there is no way it can be electrically charged.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Any portion of conductivity could affect that portion or the whole.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

How if it is not grounded?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Diamond would be a terrible idea anyways, it's hard, not tensile or forgiving.
A good substance to use would be graphene, thread that into many, many cables with a large pulley system down on earth it would be almost like a reverse overhead crane.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

A reverse pulley would not be a good idea for several reasons, once you pass the point of gravitaional equllibrium half way up the elevator the forces will be pulling the lift in the other direction. Also, you would need cables over 20,000 miles long which adds to the cost.

The most efficent method would be an internall drive system on the lift.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

Found this short Doc from NOVA that may settle some questions.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

You can't really bring cost into this haha...
It'll cost ridiculous amounts of money either way.
But I guess I should have elaborated a little more.
I didn't mean the for the actual pod or what ever to be cranked down whit pulleys, I was trying to say that the anchor would be attached to a pulley system to allow for a little play, a fixed stationary anchor would eventually crack.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I think cost has to be a factor as it will need to compete with rockets to place vehicles and satelittie into orbit.

Also, the thought is to place the anhcor on a floating platform so it can moved to avoid space debris or the weather on earth sinc eit needs to be close to the equator as possible.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Electrical energy, for example from lightning could affect it in various ways. A percentage of conductivity could be influenced by electromagnetics or other factors. Any proposed insulation would be moot. Could any scientist guarantee that a major asteroid wouldn't trash it, no they couldn't.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
Electrical energy, for example from lightning could affect it in various ways.

How would lightinging affect a non-conductive material? Why would lighitng strike a non-conducitve materail?

Could any scientist guarantee that a major asteroid wouldn't trash it, no they couldn't.

If an asteriod is coming within 10-20,000 miles of earth we have much bigger problems than the space elevator.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join