It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah girl forced to wear a coat over her dress at the dance for violating "dress code"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Unity_99
Aside from some basic decency clauses no schools should have strictly enforced dress codes. Its abuse of children. Even if a parent likes that kind of school, children's right to preferences should be absolute constitutional and law.

When I saw that prim and proper but still pretty dress she was wearing, noted the even nicer ones such as off the shoulder, or one shoulder, and when I was young the one shoulder one is what I would have worn. I would decide not sharia, not misogynst religious folk and also not my parents. I am me, they're them and thats it. And clothing is personal.

Have you hung out on a Jr. High campus lately?

I'm not even talking high school, but grades 6-7-8, starting at age 11.

I remember when my daughter was 11, 9 years ago, Wal-Mart was selling a pajama dress for little girls that was lace see through on the top. I about flipped! I called the Wal-Mart 800 and gave them a what for! They had all the stores move that particular nightgown to the slip department for little girls instead and sent me 3 pajama outfits for bringing it to their attention. I didn't do it for the outfits, I did it to prevent other girls from becoming predator bait.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Don't get me started on dress codes and Japan.

Especially in schools. A good majority of them still have standardized uniforms. That girl has it easy.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The point is that the dress was very conservative and elegant. Your post was a testiment of the repressive mindset I have no love for. So there.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Especially in schools. A good majority of them still have standardized uniforms. That girl has it easy.

Even for a dance?

Just curious.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

Even for a dance?

Just curious.
You know I don't really know. Back when I taught English we never really had events like dances, but the festivals we would hold you were still expected to wear your uniform if you were actually working the festival. I think "guests" (even if they were students) could wear normal clothing.

EDIT: Unless it was a theme festival, like with Cosplay cafes set up by the students, or haunted classrooms, etc.
edit on 28-1-2015 by ScientificRailgun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Good for you.

I raised 2 daughters and am now helping raise 14 year old granddaughter. Who is already 5' 10" tall and very striking looking.

My rule was/is: "be the age you are".

There is common sense. IMO it should have been used in this case. It wasn't.

edit on 28-1-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Good for you.

I raised 2 daughters and am now helping raise 14 year old granddaughter. Who is already 5' 10" tall and very striking looking.

My rule was/is: "be the age you are".

There is common sense. IMO it should have been used in this case. It wasn't.

I agree that common sense really didn't get applied in this particular case. The dress looks very conservative (yet still quite lovely). I honestly don't see how this broke the school's dress code unless the back was super-exposed or something. Quite a nice dress.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Baffling...

I don't believe I have to reiterate that that dress is hardly revealing... Conservative is an easy assessment in this case...

Humanities priorities: Completely jacked. I'm sure there were far more important things to be tending to at the dance... Lol like a six-inch rule or something... [/ridiculousSarcasm]

(post by marriery removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Hell, I love when fundamentalism seems to be thriving in America and we are not even a middle eastern country that practice Sharia law.

In this time and age we women in some places are still living under oppression.

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
In this time and age we women in some places are still living under oppression.

In this case, the young lady was "oppressed" by another woman. The school's clothing monitor was a woman. The school's principal is a woman. Every member of the PTSA is a woman. Most of the teachers and staff are women. (Yes, I checked their web site.) This school is the proverbial "world run by women," and the oppression of her upper arms is the result. How ironic that, at the end of the story, the young lady still somehow manages to blame "boys" for her misfortune.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FurvusRexCaeli

It is an interesting thing when it comes to oppression, specially when a young women is oppressed by older women that seems to still be living in the middle ages were the male was the dominant figure.

Perhaps is not a male that oppressed the young women or girl but remember that this oppression against women is very fundamentalist male originated practice with roots in religion, still it seems that for some older women, this the only way of life, been oppressed and oppress others of the same gender.

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I live in Utah, and I can assure you we are by no means "oppressed."

The school had a clearly stated dress code. It should have been followed.

As the father of a 13(almost 14) year old girl, who attends school in this very school district, I have no problem with enforcing modesty.

I agree that this dress is not provocative or revealing, but it was a clear violation of the very transparent and clearly stated dress code. Had a male student shown up with the sleeves ripped off of his tux he would have been asked to cover up as well.

Whether or not the dress was "conservative" isn't really relevant. If you allow one student to bend the rules pretty soon you have multiple students bending the rules. After a short period of time no one is really taking the rules into consideration at all.

The actual fault lies with the girl's parents who undoubtedly purchased this dress, which they should have known to be a violation of dress code, and allowing their daughter to wear it to a dance - then raising a big stink and screaming oppression when they were asked to adhere to the rules that EVERYONE at the school must adhere to.

edit on 10-3-2015 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Here's a link to the publicly available dress code.

lphs.alpineschools.org...

This is the same dress code that was posted BEFORE this story - which by the way happened a few months ago if I remember correct.

See Rule #7.

According to many of you posting in this thread, it's ok to break the rules sometimes. Can you guys please tell me under what circumstances I can break the rules? I mean if I'm stopped at a red light at 4 AM, with no other traffic for miles, can I just run the red light? Which rules should be followed and which rules shouldn't?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join