It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle government now going through citizens’ trash for public shaming, revenue

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Isn't trash considered public property once it hits the curb?

Everyone should just dump they're food trash in the city councils trash cans.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
all these years the media and the teachers and the democrats have been scarifying us with stories of how the evil Nixon/Reagan/Bush conservative Republicans were going to take away our freedoms and turn the US into a police state. turns out it's not Big Brother it's Big Sister repressing us. Conform! Obey!..for our own good of course.
too many of these elected officials (esp in places like Seattle) live in a bubble, removed from reality.
the US today is a battle of wills between the Bubbas and the Bubbles.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I see a trend in "govt created jobs" that must justify their pay check. So, they just make crap up to keep these people busy.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Somehow I doubt its about the trash and more about trying to get evidence for crimes without having to get a warrant. i.e search the trash, look for accounts, letters, evidence of drug use (needles etc) gun casings and all that goodness. Could also be a good way to find evidence to just shame people, old penthouse mags', used condoms and all that.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
I'm guessing a lot of folks here are not acquainted with garbage diversion strategies. Like the quote from the Seattle Times says,

“It’s surprising, but we still send 300,000 tons of garbage every year to a landfill in eastern Oregon. I think we can do a lot better than that,” Bagshaw said.

We recycle plastic, glass, paper, metal containers, etc. When I lived in another jurisdiction, they had special food scrap containers so that it would be diverted to composting. On the other hand, I've been in places where everything just gets chucked and goes to the dump...feels creepy. So, lot of huffing and puffing going on here for nothing, folks.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
I see a trend in "govt created jobs" that must justify their pay check. So, they just make crap up to keep these people busy.

That and it is another law, to be expanded whenever.

The income tax started as a 1% tax on rich people, never to be applied to normal citizens.

Next they will need to approve all grocery purchases, to make sure they match your government authorized weekly menu plan.
edit on 28-1-2015 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Semicollegiate

Eventually the new "smart shopping carts" will "tell on us" for buying more than our family can eat. www.tpnn.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Where i live in canada you can get fines if you put your garbage or recycling out on the wrong dates, also if you dont recycle properly, no communist was elected for this to happen.

Man people just love to complain about every little things, oh the outrage, damn that obama lol.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I eat a ketogenic diet, where there is an emphasis on fats, proteins, and fibers.

I don't think you can really compost that kind of stuff.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
I eat a ketogenic diet, where there is an emphasis on fats, proteins, and fibers.

Yours is a Blood type O diet.

I think you could put that kind of refuse into a air tight metal box, shine sunlight though magnifying lenses onto box's surface, and by heat reduce the garbage to flammable gases and carbon.

I would like to try that myself after I learn how to weld.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
seems like just another way to get more revenue from the people,every year it seems a new tax or income from the populace are devised by our politicians whatever country you reside in.
they must know they bring revolution ever more likely and this seems to be there objective in the uk and america,this has me worried for they wont us to revolt and the question is why what have they got planned ?.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

If I recall, meat scraps were not encouraged for backyard composting as they would rot in a nasty way, and attract animals. If there is a dedicated collection of food scraps for composting, that is done in a large-scale manner and everything organic goes into the mix.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
There is a cure, if you know someone who has a kid still in diapers, just put some filled diapers on top of your trash. Just take a pic when they open it.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Maybe they should throw the food out in the street.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Semicollegiate

There you go....type O.

if i don't, my body swells up as i pack on pounds quickly.

The point being: In Seattle, I may not have the freedom to eat the way I choose to eat. There is butter in everything. Except my salads, i guess. Unless i make brown butter vinaigrette. Regardless....with how much protein and fat I consume, there is no way I could stay within the law in Seattle unless I got hogs to eat my garbage.

ETA: Mmmmmm....delicious bacon......I should get some hogs to eat my garbage......
edit on 1/28/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Or they could take the hundreds of grand a year they pay government employees to dig through peoples garbage and use it to help the needy in Seattle. But hey, what sense would that make?

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarxMarvellous
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

So much trolling potential, the things you could put in bins to # with people's minds if you know someone will be going through it hahaha.

I have a better idea, throw your food trash in government bins or somebody else's garbage can that pissed you off LOL.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Since, according to the ordinance, public waste containers (like in a park or on the side of the city streets) are exempt, just toss all your bad food into those containers. Problem solved. The animals will have a field day rummaging through them and create a whole new problem for the city.

Dipstick politicians IMO.
edit on 1/28/2015 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

You nailed it. The residents of Seattle voted for this years ago and the majority wants exactly this. The city pays a composting company in Oregon to take the compost scraps and they provide compost scrap bins, you just have to pay for the service. Seattle is passing this to combat people who opt to not pay for the bins, preferring to just toss their food scraps in with the unclassified trash. Some Seattle single family houses have literally 5 different roll cart bins on trash day... they will have their standard trash bin, recyclable metals and plastics bin, paper bin, compost bin, and glass bin. Others pay a bit more to have a single unsorted recyclable roll cart.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I personally like that level of micromanagement or nanny laws at all... that's why I would never live in Seattle. It has become an enclave of NoCal expats who have brought their ultra liberal tree hugging schtick northward... but it is the city's identity now.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

A new law in Seattle apparently has authorities going through trash to see if you have thrown away leftover food.

Two words:

Garbage disposal.

No fuss.

No muss.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join