It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama's Face Blurred By Saudi State TV For Not Wearing A Head Scarf

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
originally posted by: windword

a reply to: Anyafaj

Why would you assume that customs have changed and Michelle Obama deliberately violated them?

Saudi Arabia has NEVER required foreign women to wear head scarves, why should Michelle Obama wear one?

Since when did a question mark become "assume"? A question mark, usually denotes just that, a question.

I didn't realize that I had offended you somehow by asking one in all sincerity.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Since when did a question mark become "assume"?

When you took the stance that Michelle Obama's lack of headgear MUST mean that she's behaving in a politically incorrect manner, and then you set out to look for what "rules" she possible could have broken. You suggested that maybe the "new" king may have instigated "new rules', that she was breaking.

But you fail to notice that the Obamas were in Saudi Arabia out of respect for the Royal Saudi Family and to meet with King Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, the New King, who took the throne only days earlier.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
originally posted by: windword

When you took the stance that Michelle Obama's lack of headgear MUST mean that she's behaving in a politically incorrect manner, and then you set out to look for what "rules" she possible could have broken. You suggested that maybe the "new" king may have instigated "new rules', that she was breaking.

But you fail to notice that the Obamas were in Saudi Arabia out of respect for the Royal Saudi Family and to meet with King Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud, the New King, who took the throne only days earlier.

I asked an honest question, or posited a thought.

You DO know the rule about "Assume", right?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I asked an honest question, or posited a thought.

You DO know the rule about "Assume", right?

YOU are the who made the assumption that Michelle Obama was, somehow, misbehaving in your OP, when you said:

Personally to me, this was a snub by the First Lady to the Saudi King. It was intentional, let's face it. She knew what she was doing and can't claim ignorance.

What do you assume that she was doing?

Why can't you get it through your head that there's no requirement for foreign women to cover their heads in Saudi Arabia? I disagree with you that she should have covered up or stay home, and I think that most American women disagree with you.

This is the First Lady of the United States of America, and her office deserves respect! No matter how much you dislike her, "The First Lady" is not "Justin Beiber" or some bratty teenager with a rebellious and disrespectful attitude! Michelle Obama represents the women of the United States, and has a staff to make sure her appearance says exactly that.

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

We expect them to follow our customs... Why can't the freakin' presidents wife show a little effing respect and cover her head?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: hudsonhawk69

Why should she have to? It's not her custom. Do we expect the Saudi women to uncover when they come here out of respect for Western custom?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

reportedly blurred

Can you show me a video or a picture of her face being blurred?

edit on 29-1-2015 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: hudsonhawk69

We expect them to follow our customs... Why can't the freakin' presidents wife show a little effing respect and cover her head?

So all muslim women in the USA, following USA customs, do not cover their hair.... or you are just posting nonsense.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

We expect them to follow our customs...

What customs?

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I would think that it would make her look much better if they blurred her face.

I just wish that the American media were that compassionate.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Her job is to stfu and wear proper attire, something lacking in the ethos of that family. BO chewing gum at a function in India....? Hey look, were a country of scumbags. Maybe it was appropriate after all.

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I think it's already been established that the face blurring incident never happened.

This whole headscarf issue has been blown out of proportion and is really a non-story. Here are a few examples of important women, First Ladies and diplomats, who are not wearing head scarves when in Saudi Arabia, or in the US in the presence of the Saudi monarchs:

And in this picture, the king is actually shaking the hand of Laura Bush:

IIRC according to an episode of Bill Maher from a few years ago, some Iman answered some Dear Abby types questions. The gist of the matter was that these primitives are not supposed to even shake the hand of a woman. Although plowing the dirt road was acceptable option.

I'm in a bad mood. So, I say turn the entire place into a flat, glass, self-illuminating, parking lot. The oil is far enough underground that it can still be extracted without the fear of radiation contamination.

dex

posted on Jan, 30 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

edit on 30-1-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It is highly offensive to muslims for women not to cover their heads. As a representative of the USA it is her job to conduct herself in an appropriate manner. It is appropriate in this instance to foster good will with our brothers and sisters in the middle east by following custom and covering her head.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Where is their responsibility to tolerate others' cultures, such as women's freedom?

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Where is their responsibility to tolerate others' cultures, such as women's freedom?

That does not exist under Islam, women are just property.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: hellobruce

Good for Michelle...touche.

posted on Jan, 31 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

It is highly offensive to muslims for women not to cover their heads. As a representative of the USA it is her job to conduct herself in an appropriate manner. It is appropriate in this instance to foster good will with our brothers and sisters in the middle east by following custom and covering her head.

That's not really true. SOME countries like Saudia Arabia do require MUSLIM women to cover up--when I was there I didn't see women without at least a head scarf. But many other Muslim countries don't require anything, such as Turkey or UAE.

And even in Saudi it is not a requirement at all for foreigners. It isn't being rude.

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

It's their country numbnut. Why can't they run it the way they want? Or should they run it YOUR way cause you way is the right way?

posted on Feb, 2 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TommyD1966

That's not really true. SOME countries like Saudia Arabia do require MUSLIM women to cover up--when I was there I didn't see women without at least a head scarf. But many other Muslim countries don't require anything, such as Turkey or UAE.

And even in Saudi it is not a requirement at all for foreigners. It isn't being rude.

I stand corrected. Cheers for setting me straight!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join