It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the weirdest Old Wives Tale/Lie you ever heard as a kid that you believed?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
My mother convinced me when I was small that if you pulled down the lower eyelid nearest the nose it would betray a lie. She got it right so many times that I decided as a small child that lying was totally futile and easily discovered.

It stuck with me and to this day I don't lie. (as a rule!)
So that old wives tale had a positive effect on my whole life.

And that's the truth!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Soy Sauce was Pigeons Blood.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Babies are found in the morning under cabbage leaves in the Garden

Bread crusts make your hair curly

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: HumansEh
My mother convinced me when I was small that if you pulled down the lower eyelid nearest the nose it would betray a lie. She got it right so many times that I decided as a small child that lying was totally futile and easily discovered.

It stuck with me and to this day I don't lie. (as a rule!)
So that old wives tale had a positive effect on my whole life.

And that's the truth!

That must now automatically disqualify you from entering politics.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant
My Mam was very superstitious, you were asking for bad luck if you didn't follow rules like, don't put shoes on a table, don't swing a door, always have money in your wallet when a new year starts, don't open an umbrella in the house, never walk under a ladder etc etc
Funny thing is, even though I don't believe in any of that now, I still fall in line

My Nan was superstitious. We got the Ladder ones, the Don't step on a crack, don't cross the path of a black cat, the usual of course. (I'm loving all these stories, especially Krampus. I'm trying to remember if my Nan ever told us about him. She was full Hungarian and firmly believed all the stories from her homeland.)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

Oh the mirror one too, if you break one you get 7 years bad luck. Also hanging a horseshoe above the front door brings good luck, and if you spill salt don't forget to throw some over your shoulder to avoid bad luck.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

"Get your arm back in the car window! A car will come along and take it OFF!"

"Stop crossing your eyes! They'll STAY like that!"

"Don't drink that coffee! Your too YOUNG! Youll turn GREEN!"

"Quit doing that! Youre gonna grow HAIR on your palm!"

Sigh...there are others...but I think I just freaked myself out a bit....

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
One that Mum & Dad used to tell myself and my siblings was that when the Ice Cream Van is driving down the street and playing its little tune, they are telling all the kids in the neighbourhood that they have run out of ice-creams...

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
My uncle would go fishing with us. One late afternoon, we were anchored in a cove, fishing in the shallows. As sundown approached, he said (very cryptically, with deep concern in his voice):
"We need to get out of here now. The Swamp Auger will be waking up soon." He told us there was a monster called the "Swamp Auger" that lived in the cove area. Its body was humanoid, but also fish-like. Sort of like the creature from the Black Lagoon, but far more hideous. Its nose was like a big corkscrew wood auger. It would very stealtily swim under your boat, then drill a hole in the bottom with its auger nose. Then it would get you!
He had us (at least partially) convinced it was real.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

OMG I forgot every thing they said!
That means I'm REALLY screwed now.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

My Grandmother always told me if I wouldn't do my homework the SS would come back.

She didn't lie though.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   

During winter i got that old classic . Dont go outside you will catch a cold . I remember even as a little kid asking , are Eskimos very sick people then mummy .
edit on 27-1-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant

Oh the mirror one too, if you break one you get 7 years bad luck. Also hanging a horseshoe above the front door brings good luck, and if you spill salt don't forget to throw some over your shoulder to avoid bad luck.

I STILL throw salt over my shoulder! I was told if you don't throw salt over your left shoulder, the devil would enter your home and drag you to Hell. Now out of habit, if I spill salt, I always throw some over my left shoulder for the Devil to leave me be. LOL Thanks Nan, she always knew how to terrify kids.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

My Grandmother always told me if I wouldn't do my homework the SS would come back.

She didn't lie though.

My great grandmother came to this country and dumped my grandmother, her twin, and her other 4 brothers and sisters in an orphanage to escape the SS. Everyone was adopted except my Nan. Even her twin was adopted. No wonder my Nan had so many mean wives tales, imagine what she heard from the Nun's in the orphanage. A Jew raised by Catholics, then converting. I learned a bit about her after my 20's, after she passed. I felt bad for her knowing her history after that.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Ha Ha . My grandmother used to say Gott im Himmel very loudly . We never knew what it meant but it scared us . Turned out to be basically . oh my god .

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Versus

...all I got was hairy palms...

we believed it back then

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
"If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll stop growing."

Out of 4 girls, my sister who only liked meat and ate as little vegetable as possible, is the shortest of us all. Hmmm...

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
The whole shave a hair, three more grow back bit. Pretty sure this is quite true in some cases, however. For body hair that is, so not to get any hopes up!

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Dont eat apple cores or the seeds will sprout a tree in your stomach.

Eat your carrots, they will make you see in the dark.

Don't go outside with wet hair or you will get cold.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Bad luck to leave a hat on the end of your bed.

Magpies (too may to lis!)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
- That if you drank milk and orage juice at the same time you would get the runs.

- That if you ate grapes and watermelon at the same time they would solidify in your stomach like a rock.

- That you'd get worms if you ate raw cake batter.

- That a certain cereal my parents didn't approve (very artificially flavored and colored) was made from ground up cemetary bones!

How silly is that?

But glad I got that out of my chest!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join