It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the weirdest Old Wives Tale/Lie you ever heard as a kid that you believed?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Two were told to me as a kid.

One was from my aunt. We lived in NY, and we would drive to NJ to visit her in the summer. She would take my brother and I to the movie theaters as kids and we would beg her for chocolate as a snack. She would always tell us that in the summer, chocolate had worms and if you ate it, it would grow in your stomach and take over your body. LOL

My other favorite one was from my dad. He had a calculator watch as we were growing up, but he had us kids convinced it was a thermometer. We would tell him we were too sick to go to school and we had a fever, and he would put his hand on our foreheads, type 98.6 into his watch, then show us our "temperature". God bless that man if he wasn't on the nose half the time. LOL

I'd love to hear some of your favorites you heard growing up, or even lately.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

The biggest?.
Religion.

Then it was the boggets.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
That the Jackson Whites would kill you if your drove down a certain road.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

What is the weirdest Old Wives Tale/Lie you ever heard as a kid that you believed?

Roswell.

edit on 27-1-2015 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
If you play with matches, you wet the bed...

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
When trying to catch a wild animal, deer, rabbit or similar; throw salt on its tail. it will stop and lick it. Then you can handle it. I sure got some mileage out of this one as a kid.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Okay, this might lack a little decorum, but...I was always told that masturbation stunts growth. But here I stand at 6'11"...

Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't have divulge this...

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Mine is that if yo eat uncooked pasta or raw potatoes you'd get worms in your stomach.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
For me, If you were bad than an imp named Knickerbocker (Krampus) would come and take you away come "Christmas time" and replace you with coal, and have you work in a coal mine and eat you once you've become no use.

Kept sis and I in line, although we knew that our parents adapted it into our childhood traditions from a story by a Dutch novelist...

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Just think, if you hadnt been a dirty boy, you would now stand at least 9ft 7"!! a reply to: Versus

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

If you swallow gum it will stay in your stomach for seven years.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
My parents used to tell me that they didn't pay the hospital bill when I was born, and if I acted up they would tell the hospital where I was and they would take me away!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If you pee in the shower you'll get giant warts on your feet

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I remember the MUSTARD PLASTER..........!
And if you had a bad infection or boil you got a SOAPand SUGAR plaster....Whether they worked or not !
edit on 27-1-2015 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: billyvonhelvete

if anything, I should have done it more! being too tall sucks...again, sorry if this is a little inappropriate...but yeah.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
My Mam was very superstitious, you were asking for bad luck if you didn't follow rules like, don't put shoes on a table, don't swing a door, always have money in your wallet when a new year starts, don't open an umbrella in the house, never walk under a ladder etc etc
Funny thing is, even though I don't believe in any of that now, I still fall in line

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
No swimming after you've just eaten you'll cramp up really bad then drown.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Ha ha ha!!a reply to: Versus

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Raw Head and Bloody Bones.

americanfolklore.net...

Not exactly the way I heard it, but it was enough to scare the Hell out of a small kid in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky.
It did not help that my Grandmother's name was Betty.
edit on 27-1-2015 by DAVID64 because: add

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
As a kid if I was ever caught pulling strange faces - I was told that if the wind changed direction suddenly I would stay like that

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join