It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Why are men who are not into sports viewed by some as "sissies"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:12 PM
I've been on both sides of the fence on this.

Let me shortly just say that it's no longer totally true that black people are into football in South Africa, while whites are into rugby and cricket.
There is a degree of overlap, and everyone will watch the football or rugby World Cups, but on a weekly basis rugby is the passion of my community, with cricket coming second.

Almost everybody enjoys rugby in the bars or on the telly at home, and especially women and effeminate gay men used to scream their heads off for their team.
It's not just a butch male interest, although not everyone will show the same enthusiasm in the same spaces.
Sports seem more popular than ever though, and there's more of a show, and the players look much different than 20 years ago.
Maybe I've just been slowly acclimatized to it, but it's a lot more about fun, rather than the bore I used to find it.

I think I first didn't like it because it had something to do in my mind with conservative, philistine attitudes, homophobia and violence.
Perhaps to a certain degree it did at a stage.

I'm still not so much into the technicalities or "the game", but there's an exchange of masculinity that I've come to find oddly appealing.

I even enjoy watching US movies about American Football these days.

I almost feel sorry that I didn't get into it in school, when I had the chance to play rugby.
But back then I was rebelling against that entire culture.

Golf or tennis I still cannot bear watching.

Normally I have my hair cut at a salon for men, where a battalion of women cut men's hair.
It annoyed me no end that some of them wouldn't stop talking while cutting my hair, even when I suggested that I don't want to make chit-chat.
Not all, but some interrogated me about my life, and one told me a whole story, and the haircut took about an hour.

Now, a lot of barber shops run by men for men have mushroomed up.
I gave one a try, and I was so relieved to get a professional cut, and the only sound apart from the buzz-cutter and the scissors was some sport on TV.
I will definitely return.
Maybe sport is also just something relaxing, where one doesn't have to force anything more meaningful or stressful?

edit on 27-1-2015 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:30 PM
This all depends on the Sport. If you ever try to bring American football into Asia they will see it as an aggressive battle. But, European football everyone sees it as a proper sport. America itself is become something like "Running Man" itself without the whole super violent stuff. I remember the times when the Mafias used to bet on sport players and try to sabotage the team to not make them win. USA is a very backwards country with high technology.

TV Sports is rather a joke. Go play it yourself or with other friends who like your certain games rather than sitting around watching the game. Since you scuba dive, look for friends who love swimming and go play with them in the waters. Learning to swim is way more important than playing other land sport game.
edit on 27-1-2015 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:31 PM
a reply to: acackohfcc

Really? You need a clue?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:36 PM
The only sport I ever loved, let alone actually liked, was wrestling. As in, greco-roman / college / olympic / american public school wrestling. I positively SUCKED at it. But, it was ME vs the opponent. None of this stupid team rara crap.

Honestly, what has always turned me off for sports as a whole is precisely that. The group think "BE A WINNNER" pablum. Never been one for groups. Some of you will probably nod your head having read some of my posts here on ATS, considering the looming cloud of group-think of a different nature that occurs even here.

As for being viewed as a sissy, not I.

At the age of 12, I was easily 5'10 and most likely 250lbs. Fat, yes. Sissy? Someone you'd f**k with? No.

Today, 6'3, 320lbs. To be a sissy as I am today is to carry yourself as though you had a mark on your forehead. A target.

Suffice it to say, I don't believe in being a victim. Particularly a self proclaimed one.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:41 PM
I always found sports boring as hell. The men I have known who didn't care for sports were in no way sissies.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:42 PM
I've never had anyone say something like that to me, but then again, most other men are intimidated by me.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:44 PM
What makes such a man a sissy to me isn't his dislike of watching sports but his propensity to act like a catty women in putting down those men who do like watching sports along with those men who are actively engaged in sports. It just makes you sound like b****y woman which makes you sound like a sissy.

Now, if you aren't into sports and don't throw a cat fit every time that comes up ... you're not a sissy, you just don't like sports.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:54 PM
a reply to: ketsuko

I dont throw a fit at all. I just am dumbfounded as to the connection made between masculinity and watching pro sports. Its ludicrous to me. I dont have anything against anyone liking or watching sports. I just personally find sports completely boring. I would rather dive a reef with sharks patrolling (diving is a sport that requires 2 balls they say).

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:59 PM

originally posted by: openminded2011
a reply to: ketsuko

I dont throw a fit at all. I just am dumbfounded as to the connection made between masculinity and watching pro sports. Its ludicrous to me. I dont have anything against anyone liking or watching sports. I just personally find sports completely boring.

Many sports are much more fun to play than watch.

I would rather dive a reef with sharks patrolling (diving is a sport that requires 2 balls they say).

Dude, that is my fantasy vacation.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:03 PM
a reply to: openminded2011

Why are men who are not into sports viewed by some as "sissies"?

Because those men are living vicariously through athletes. They have bought into the false masculinity, and faux tribal mentality. In ancient Rome, sports were used to keep the people occupied, so they wouldn't revolt. I'll let Alan Watt explain the rest. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it...

edit on 1/27/2015 by Klassified because: edit

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:04 PM

originally posted by: openminded2011
Why is it that men who don't like sports are viewed as not manly or sissies? Just because you are unable to obsess about the athletic prowess of OTHER men and are bored to death watching a bunch of grown men kick a ball around a field, somehow your masculinity is in question. What is it what makes you more of a man if you are somehow able to memorize statistics about a bunch of jocks? I just dont get this. And yes, I am one of those people who just isnt into sports. I dont mind watching the olympics, or the occasional hockey or tennis game. but it just bores me to death. And I am 6'5" and scuba dive, have lots of masculine interests, just sports is not one of them.

I don't really care to watch sports. But im not one to judge either. I have always known that some men enjoy watching other men rolling around on top of eachother and playing pat ass. It's not my thing. If those people want to call me a sissy, i'll just take it as a bit of innocent flirting. Nothing to get mad about.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:06 PM

And that's fine. I get it. My husband was that guy too only he was into mountain biking. He got into football when we started playing it on the Playstation because the video game, of all things, taught him more of what was really going on in a game and the actual depth of strategy to the game. It's where I learned my appreciation for it too.

He only got into track & field because he started dating me and that was what I did. As a college athlete, your sport is pretty much your job, so he learned to appreciate it.

But he also never put any athletes down, either.

No, I'm talking about the people who will call athletes universally dumb jocks and sneer at anyone who enjoys sports as idiots. You may not be that person, but they exist and they're the men I will call sissies.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:09 PM
...because it's too hard to process the thought that watching muscular, athletic men running around in shorts, grappling each other might in fact be more 'sissy'...

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:29 PM
What sissy makes up a thread like this with all these other sissies giving sissified posts about being a sissy?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:38 PM

In the UK, growing up from the late eighties to the noughties in Essex, one could be called a sissy for preferring cricket to football. I full on hated and still hate football. I think it is a game played by ignorant, pathetic, fragile worms, who strut and strain, but are ultimately weak. For all that they show off their ability to run and kick, and dive more often not, most of them are mere children, in the bodies of men.

I have been hit with bats, cricket balls, had javelins thrown at me, been attacked with knives, bricks, lumps of masonry. I have few scars, and a continuing heartbeat, and have never had a bone in my body break. I was more of a man before I left school, than many football players will ever become. The reason I am here to speak of these things, is that unlike the puleing bastards that make up today's premier league in this country, I spent my time in the pursuit of freedom from the oppression that my peers tried to lever against me.

Another sport that makes me want to throw someone under a moving tracked vehicle, is cage fighting. Sorry lads, but wearing spandex pants and humping one another to death on the floor like a horny warthog, does not appeal. Win your fight while on your feet, and I might have the slightest respect for your system of battle. However, all the floor work will avail a man in the street of nothing. If you loose your footing in a real fight, the friends of the man that you are fighting (engaging in foreplay with) will murder you.

Being a weak ankled, lavishly paid and moronic football player, or an octagon dwelling leg humper are amongst the least manly pursuits in which a human male can become involved if you ask me, and this is coming from a fellow that likes to write poetry, is friends with many cats, and cares deeply about the state of the world and the plight of its population.

The idea that being a fan of sports, or any sport in particular, is a mark of manhood is absurd in the extreme. Being a man, is a mark of manhood, and one comes by that by determination, grit, and bloody mindedness in the face of impossible odds, WHEN IT MATTERS! Sports, do NOT matter. Living a real life, doing honest, hard work, being good to the people who love you, and loving them too, THAT matters! My mother is less of a sissy than the people I have referred to, and she is afraid of spiders!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:49 PM
a reply to: TrueBrit

The toughest man I ever met was my Grandfather. He joined the British forces before Canada got involved in the War. He had to transfer later. His favorite sport was ice skating. Even into his 70's... call him a sissy at your own peril.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:56 PM
I wonder whether women who play certain sports also face stereotypical discrimination as being "butch" or "lesbians"?

I suppose different sports and their off-shoots had different purposes and histories.
Football was very much channeling what working class men could do on their off-day during industrialization, and it presumably kept them from other vices, like gambling or seeking out houses of ill repute (adultery).

Rugby was seen as a precursor to military service, which is why I probably didn't like it when white males faced two years of conscription to fight disputable wars.

However things change and move on.

I think if a women's team plays better rugby than the men's team for a college, then they deserve the same support and funding, which is still not happening.
edit on 27-1-2015 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:56 PM
a reply to: intrepid

Coming as I do from a geographical location which necessitates visiting an ice rink in order to ice skate, I have only done it a few times. I do like the feeling of gliding over the ice though!

Calling an old man a sissy is never a good idea! It is not gentlemanly!

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:00 PM
Who cares..
Not everyone is going to like you, approve of you or your thoughts or agree with your tastes.
If you dont like sports and someone calls you a sissy then oh well just go on living life the way you enjoy.

I'm 41 and have never been drunk, never had a beer, never held a cigarette and couldn't tell you what an illegal drug looks like. Could care less if some lush or drunk makes fun of me for that.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:43 PM
I think some people hop on the bandwagon of watching sports and keeping all the statistics of players just to be accepted so they don't feel less masculine because it is culturally accepted or they don't want to feel alienated. For some people it may be the only way that they can seem to feel a sense of community with the people/family around them, by sitting around the TV and watching the game. To me I feel like this is a social distraction to keep the people within the boundaries of small talk and mundane communication. If your always talking about the game and these players statistics it disempowers the probability that a more enlightening or a complex conversation of heightened ideas may be communicated between people. This is why I think that many people who use psychedelics are not interested in watching sports/TV. I enjoy playing sports, and I don't have anything against people watching sports but when looking at it from a bigger picture, I see it as a way to distraction the population, therefore keeping people communicating in a low frequency limited social construct.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>