It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are men who are not into sports viewed by some as "sissies"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Why is it that men who don't like sports are viewed as not manly or sissies? Just because you are unable to obsess about the athletic prowess of OTHER men and are bored to death watching a bunch of grown men kick a ball around a field, somehow your masculinity is in question. What is it what makes you more of a man if you are somehow able to memorize statistics about a bunch of jocks? I just dont get this. And yes, I am one of those people who just isnt into sports. I dont mind watching the olympics, or the occasional hockey or tennis game. but it just bores me to death. And I am 6'5" and scuba dive, have lots of masculine interests, just sports is not one of them.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Oh stop crying ya big sissy! lol

2nd

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Because a lot of sissies are not into sports.
Other than that, it's the same reason jocks are considered dumb.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
Why is it that men who don't like sports are viewed as not manly or sissies?

They are not. It is men who do not like sports AND have some other sissy'ish qualities to them, who are viewed as sissies.

I'm not saying it is right, but come on, have you ever TRULY seen someone being viewed as a sissy JUST because he was uninterested in sports?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

Don't worry. Sissies may be the only sane ones.
I hear they aren't into sniping people either.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Why is it that men who don't like sports are viewed as not manly or sissies? Just because you are unable to obsess about the athletic prowess of OTHER men and are bored to death watching a bunch of grown men kick a ball around a field, somehow your masculinity is in question. What is it what makes you more of a man if you are somehow able to memorize statistics about a bunch of jocks? I just dont get this. And yes, I am one of those people who just isnt into sports. I dont mind watching the olympics, or the occasional hockey or tennis game. but it just bores me to death. And I am 6'5" and scuba dive, have lots of masculine interests, just sports is not one of them.
''

Lol, i agree.

I like PLAYING sports, or just having fun and being active. But I can't be bothered to follow and watch sports. It bores the heck out of me. It's kinda like, I enjoy playing video games, but I don't want to watch others do it.

And, i've always found it really ironic that a lot of "straight" bro's think that it's manly to watch a bunch of dudes in tight clothes tackle each other and play with balls. Often they slap each other's butts, all of that. How is this manly and straight but if other guys don't want to watch that, it's sissy, unmanly, or even "gay." So ironic.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I happen to know plenty of sissies that are into sports

what's the real point here?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

If a man can't throw,catch or run I would think he is a sissy.....1 of the three will take them off the sissy list.
If my sister can catch and throw and run....whats the guy's excuse?
Its not that a man has to play sports so much as the man has to be capable of doing so.

If the SHTF...I would rather be with someone athletic and in shape than some sissy who isn't and can't toss a ball,catch a ball and who would whine about all the work.

I know women manlier than those types of men.
Those men should be ashamed for being sissys.

Not playing sports doesn't make you a sissy....being a sissy makes you a sissy.

edit on 27-1-2015 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

It is primitive male response to testosterone. Men who excel in and like sports are often high on the testosterone scale. Where as men who are more interested in things that require different skills, may be lower on the scale. In the competition for females, the testosterone infused, seek to belittle those with less. It sometimes works. It does not explain why Geeks are hot.

Sounds really reasonable right? I haven't a clue really. lol

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

My ex wasn't into sports. The only sport he would watch was the Superbowl. That was it. Me, I used to make him a basketball widower (Go SU Orangemen!) and a football widower (Go Jags!). I also LOVE Summer Olympics and some of the Winter Olympics. But I'm not a tomboy. I got into basketball and football in college because it was better than sitting in your dorm room being bored out of your skull 24/7. With no TV, you'd go to the common area, and there were the jocks watching the game. Eventually you get into it. Or I'd go to the gym and watch the basketball game and got into college BBall. Now I love it. Some guys thinks it's strange when a woman is into sports. I say marry her quickly guys! LOL

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

So I should be ashamed of myself for being born more interested in art and literature than testosterone fueled primitive sporting rituals? I should be ashamed for preferring to use mu brain instead of my brawn? Thanks, but no. I take a lot of pride in not being a meat head. That doesn't mean I'm weak however. Martial Arts are ten percent physical and ninety percent mental.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I think you'll find that most of the time...

Anyone who makes the comparison between a sissy and someone who doesn't like sports is usually trying to overcompensate for their own sissyness...

Sometimes people are just bigoted.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I always wondered that myself. Look at sports what do you see? A bunch of guys in tight pants playing ass tag with each other. Kind of makes you wonder who the sissies really are.

link   

My husband (jokingly) told me today. "So, the Super Bowl is Sunday, you know... I'll be having the guys over for a party. The strippers will be here at half time, so we'd like some wings, pizza and LOTS of beer."

LOL! What a joker!

He said, "Aren't you glad I'm not like that?" and I answered, "If you were, I wouldn't have married you."

Definitely NOT my type. Let people call him a "sissy". I don't care. What difference does it make? I'll take a "sissy" ANY day.

link   
As a child I started sports but not very often were they organized sports, my parents simply could not afford it.
I really wanted to play hockey but the equipment costs and the registration costs were out of this world.

So we settled on Soccer as the organized sport of choice because it was cheap. A pair of cheap shoes was about 8 bucks back in the late 60's and registration was only $10.00 and same for my cheap uniform.

I had a blast playing the game and made many friends, I did however have a life outside of Soccer and many of my other friends were considered nerds or bookworms.

My point is looking back on it organized sports is one of the largest industries in the world. Just look at the size and scope of the stadiums they build now and how much money is involved.

Fortunes to be made and I don't think I have to remind everyone here how much a commercial costs for a 30 second spot during the super bowl or the world cup?
As usual it is all about profits nothing more and nothing less.
Free Bread and Circuses anyone?
That is my take on your question......S&F

Regards, Iwinder
edit on 27-1-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2015 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Sometimes I am just left to ponder...

Do Gay Midget's come out of the cubbard ?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Humans are predisposed to contest/conflict. It's how we got to be the dominant species. In civilized society(I know that term is subjective) we gauge each other off of contests of sport. Whatever form that may take. Actual sports? Accumulation of things? Sexual conquest? You get the idea. It doesn't necessarily mean "sports". Hell, some may not see "sports" the same as you do. I don't see dude's that don't watch football or hockey as sissies. Their contests are different. Football is much easier to discuss though.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It's the same in other areas too in my experience, wrong music, wrong movies, wrong clothes, wrong hairstyle, wrong car, no car etc etc etc real men do this, real men do that .... sigh.

It's stupid! just be who you are, like what you like and ignore anyone telling you you're a sissy or that a 'man' should be able to (insert manly task) ....

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

If a man can't throw,catch or run I would think he is a sissy.....1 of the three will take them off the sissy list.
If my sister can catch and throw and run....whats the guy's excuse?
Its not that a man has to play sports so much as the man has to be capable of doing so.

If the SHTF...I would rather be with someone athletic and in shape than some sissy who isn't and can't toss a ball,catch a ball and who would whine about all the work.

I know women manlier than those types of men.

Those men should be ashamed for being sissys.

Not playing sports doesn't make you a sissy....being a sissy makes you a sissy.

Thank you for beautifully illustrating my point.

There are lots of guys who lift weights, are into aerobatic flying, hiking, camping, and diving, who couldn't care less about throwing a ball or running. These are virtues of the simple minded, sorry. I actually had a friend who was a Navy seal who couldn't stand professional sports.
As for me, If there is a STTF scenario, all the athletic prowess in the world will mean nothing if there isn't enough intelligence to know how to survive to go with it. I mean, we used to drag things around until some wimp invented the wheel and things suddenly got a lot easier. There were a lot of really big strong apes that didn't make it through the ice age because although their muscles were big, their brains werent.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Just my of opinion op but if you don't like american football....you pretty much have to wear a pink tutu and a princess crown

Lol

BTW op I'm just trolling you man
edit on 27-1-2015 by infinityorder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join