It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomorrow's headlines, weather forecasts more difficult due to climate change....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh that's right, I forgot...

Eggs are a must-have before any snowmageddon disaster.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'm sticking with my prediction. Global warming will be blamed for the miss.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Kali74

Wait, so you wrote a big long post saying that models can be flawed and read wrong and thus can't always be right ... and you are calling us silly for saying exactly that about the much more complicated climate models?

Irony!

Funnily enough, not what I said at all.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Or maybe people just need to pay better attention to the "could be" part.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Honest question for the global warming / climate change crowd.

Can someone simply tell me what the optimal temperature is for our climate?

Logically, if you believe in climate change, you have to believe that there is this single perfect temperature or range. So what is it?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Or maybe people just need to pay better attention to the "could be" part.

Which "could be" parts ?

Anything and everything "could be".

It's always been that way... so I'm not sure what you're saying ?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Could be record amounts, potentially historic storm etc...

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Ah okay.

But that's the point... any and every storm could be bad, could be not so bad.

You just don't know until it actually hits.

So rather than making over-exaggerated claims calling something "potentially historic" or "could be record-breaking", how about just giving people standard storm warnings (like we've been doing for hundreds of years) and waiting until after the fact to give it a label.

Most people who live in these areas are smart enough to understand that when a Nor'easter storm warning is given, you stock up on supplies and batten down the hatches.

No need for hyperbole.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Well as long as I've been watching weather (I'm 40) they weather people always try to give estimates on how bad a storm will be and if it has potential to break records then that's all they talk about. I just don't see any difference between now and when I was 5 just more accurate.

*shrug

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I did enjoy the CNN reporters in NYC all dressed up and no snow. They seemed so let down it wasn't a disaster in NYC.

And the Deblasio pre-hype was priceless. I am sure glad they banned bicycle deliveries, saved a lot of lives.

You know, bikes are a huge hazard in snowstorms.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Unfortunately, that seems to be par for the course these days.

Shutting entire cities down BEFORE a storm hits. Unheard of 20+ years ago.

It's one thing for city officials to issue alert warnings to all emergency workers to prepare themselves for what might be heading their way... but it's another thing to go into Defcon 5 before you even know for sure what the situation is going to entail.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

As I flipped through news stations today I thought it was rather funny, on CNN they had multiple reporters in the field talking about all the snow, when it wasn't even that bad. One clip they showed was a guy using a squegee broom to push off the snow from the walkway because the snow coverage was less than an inch. No video they showed had snow coverage of over a foot. So a regular snow storm that would maybe get school canceled for one day where I live.

On Fox News they were discussing how meteorologists were just doing their jobs and actually criticisizing the "global warming" scientists as they use only the data that supports the claim. Example being they use data from only select sources to say how this was the warmest decade ever, when in fact, it is not even a top ten warmest decade when using other data.

There is no way IMHO to reverse whateve damage has been done to the atmosphere, no regulationsz will fix what has been done, and no regulations will have much effect on the atmosphere and ozone in the future. As long as population keeps increasing there will be more pollution, there is no way around it. Yes, it is good to recycle and such, but as long as we still use fossil fuels for energy, we will keep destroying the atmosphere. The regulations will be carried out by TPTB to only increase taxes, give people less of a choice, and control the energy sectors more thouroghly. They will be able to turn off power house by house when your usage has hit it's limit. Tax you higher % for driving your car so many miles per year, etc. It's all a sham, even Al gore has become exponentially wealthier due to his claims without any scientific data to substantially back him up.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I think your thread may have been a bit premature in calling the storm a flop.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Nice to see the armchair meteorologists and climate scientists are out in force jeering and mocking as usual, it's really impressive. You all must be so clever and more intelligent than them dumb scientists. Do you feel all big and clever? There there... *pats on head*.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
As a young adult who has been studying meteorology for the 15 years out of his 18 years of living, I cringe a bit when people blame global warming for severity of the weather. One thing that people don't get ( this is specifically for tornadoes since people like to say global warming is making them stronger.) is that global warming would actually lower the chances of tornadoes.

Here's why; The Ideal conditions for super cell storms with low enough heights for tornadoes is a temperature range of about 70-85 degrees Fahrenheit With dew points within 10-15 degrees of those temps. Now if global warming is raising our temperatures then it makes it harder to get the dew points in that range. It is really hard to get Kansas and Oklahoma at dew points of 80 degrees, in fact 75 doesn't happen very often. Not to mention a healthy Super Cell needs to have cool air to be filtered into the storm in order to get it to rotate with the warmer air coming from a different direction.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AgentSmith

Yeah, a lot of people don't get what it takes to get a degrees in meteorology, which is usually 4 years of Calculus, Physics, and Chemistry a long with the meteorology classes you take. Though there are a lot of T.V Meteorologist who don't have degrees, they aren't the ones creating the forecast, they just deliver it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join