It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What "American Sniper" Was Really About

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: Prezbo369

It seems to me that some people missed the scene where he had to hold his nerve with his finger ready on the trigger when a boy of around 10 to 12 picked up a Grenade Launcher and was very close to firing it, only to lose his nerve. Sniper had to release the trigger pressure when he was just about to pull it..

Bradley Cooper (or the character he played) did sure.

But the man himself, Chris Kyle, was the dinosaur I was describing.

But he was a proven liar so who knows....

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Tangerine
How do you know he didn't join to kill people because he enjoyed killing? Just asking.

How do you know he did? Just asking.
Taken at face value, it was a patriotic join up.
Anything else negative is partisan assumption at this point.

Kyle saw himself as a Christian warrior in a religious war and got off on the killing. Even his companies logo had the Crusaders cross on it.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
You are all wrong....this is what the movie is about.

boxofficemojo.com...

In that context, the movie is a masterpiece.

I haven't seen the movie yet, so can't and won't comment on the movie....but...am wondering if Jessie Ventura will try to get his grubby hands on that $ too?

If Kyle wasn't such a lair then Jesse wouldn't have sued him now would he?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Jesses an a** .... I've had my fair share of bad run ins with him at the udt seal reunion. ( and I'm a girl) ...I have no respect for him. ...but that aside....it wouldn't surprise me if he tries to get money from the movie too...

edit on 27-1-2015 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

You're a funny person. I forgot that evolution is based on things some random internet voice says "should" happen.

I'm surprised Darwin didn't figure that out before you...

When you sit there and subscribe to willful ignorance, no one will take you seriously. The fact is that survival of the fittest and a need to "protect your own" is a deeply ingrained, natural urge that doesn't just go away because you babble on about things that, in your unrealistic view of the world, "should" happen.

I absoulutely agree that a world without war would be awesome and fantastic--but I also know that it takes all sides to think that way, and unless you're walking around blindfolded, you should be able to deny ignorance (like your signature says to) and realize that this isn't the world in which we live. Your idealistic point of view, as you describe it, is nice, but unrealistic. It does no one any good to sit there at your computer, obviously having never been willing to put your life on the line for non-selfish reasons, and judge those who do. In fact, I'd argue that it's counter-productive on many levels.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Everybody has the right to condemn him or worship him.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
I forgot that evolution is based on things some random internet voice says "should" happen.

When you sit there and subscribe to willful ignorance, no one will take you seriously.

This is satire right?.....

The fact is that survival of the fittest and a need to "protect your own" is a deeply ingrained, natural urge that doesn't just go away because you babble on about things that, in your unrealistic view of the world, "should" happen.

Oh.......I was wrong.....

It does no one any good to sit there at your computer, obviously having never been willing to put your life on the line for non-selfish reasons, and judge those who do. In fact, I'd argue that it's counter-productive on many levels.

Yeah tell the men fighting in a conflict that they cant do any wrong and we wont criticize or judge them for any wrong doing, that won't be counter productive at all....

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

You're a funny person.

Thanks.

I forgot that evolution is based on things some random internet voice says "should" happen.

The internet is not necessary when excercising common sense.

How do you know he didn't?

When you sit there and subscribe to willful ignorance, no one will take you seriously.

It is not "I" who follows orders without question and indulges in willful ignorance is it?

The fact is that survival of the fittest and a need to "protect your own" is a deeply ingrained, natural urge that doesn't just go away because you babble on about things that, in your unrealistic view of the world, "should" happen.

You talk of a long term delusion instilled on a race of people through fear and it's purpose is not defence but control and power. If people want to "protect their own" why do they go to foreign shores to kill people? Oh yes...9/11.

It does no one any good to sit there at your computer, obviously having never been willing to put your life on the line for non-selfish reasons...

"non selfish reasons"....
that statement alone reinforces your blinkerdness to the real reasons for modern war.

Gullible much?

You carry on believing that the enemy is out there instead of your own back yard. You carry on believing that there is no solution and neanderthal ways cannot change. If you think neanderthal what do you expect?

At least I'm no puppet killing for a master who will never tell me exactly why and instead use morals and fear and duty and all that bull cr@p to manipulate easy to control suckers from a safe armchair thousands of miles away while making money from the spoils of war.

I don't expect an end to war, certainly not in my lifetime, to think or say that would be naive, but every time a human being realises that war is pointless and they want no part, a little piece of this ball of dirt becomes a safer place.

Part of the problem or part of the solution?

Say what you want, but I hope that one day you will understand my point of view a little more, excercise logic, and realise that war is just a game of smoke and mirrors with spoon-fed accounts and justifications to perpetuate a hidden agenda revolving around business and politics and little to do with general populace except for a steady supply of pawns.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Take out the people and make the shots a sniper makes at targets and it very much is an art.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Source or it didn't happen. also, your defense of Jesse Ventura makes me discredit you more
edit on 27-1-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

What was the wrongdoing that you can pinpoint with Kyle's service? If you ramble on about TPTB and being a puppet for a master and all of that crap, save it. If you have something intelligent to say about it, then by all means, please continue the discussion.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Your critical mistake is that you equate the individual Service Member (although you seem to generalize them all as being some programmed robot that can't think for him/herself) to being the same as the military industrial complex.

Learn the difference, and maybe we can discuss on a serious level, otherwise you're opinion is nothing but a bunch of words on a page that form a thesis based with incoherent, unintelligent "information" based on zero real-world experience.

You ask if you're part of the problem or solution--at this point, you're neither. You're just a bunch of background noise. But, maybe that's the best thing to be, since there is no real-world solution, and you certainly don't want to be part of the problem.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Um he wrote a book, saying he loved killing people. Fail.. Chris also lied about a Bunch of crap, with a capital B. He's a fraud and killer, they made a movie so ignorant people can worship a propaganda peice.
edit on 27-1-2015 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

Where did he say he loved killing people? I remember him saying he liked killing bad guys...that he wished he'd killed more of them because it would've meant he'd saved more lives...but I don't remember him saying "I like killing people."

If you can source that, I'd be interested to read it. Not at all trolling, simply never seen a quote from him as you're claiming.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
xenoplas
This is the same Hollywood culture that turned the horror and divisiveness of the Vietnam War era into a movie about a platitude-spewing doofus with leg braces who in the face of terrible moral choices eats chocolates and plays Ping-Pong. The message of Forrest Gump was that if you think about the hard stuff too much, you'll either get AIDS or lose your legs. Meanwhile, the hero is the idiot who just shrugs and says "Whatever!" whenever his country asks him to do something crazy.

Forrest Gump pulled in over half a billion and won Best Picture. So what exactly should we have expected from American Sniper?

Not much. But even by the low low standards of this business, it still manages to sink to a new depth or two.

The thing is, the mere act of trying to make a typically Hollywoodian one-note fairy tale set in the middle of the insane moral morass that is/was the Iraq occupation is both dumber and more arrogant than anything George Bush or even Dick Cheney ever tried.

No one expected 20 minutes of backstory about the failed WMD search, Abu Ghraib, or the myriad other American atrocities and quick-trigger bombings that helped fuel the rise of ISIL and other groups.

But to turn the Iraq war into a saccharine, almost PG-rated two-hour cinematic diversion about a killing machine with a heart of gold (is there any film theme more perfectly 2015-America than that?) who slowly, very slowly, starts to feel bad after shooting enough women and children – Gump notwithstanding, that was a hard one to see coming.

Read more: www.rollingstone.com...
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
the right to condemn him and on what grounds? (aliensun)
..surely common people in europe n lots of countries on there own grounds ,not US as offenders of course...
...aa what a distortion of reasonning !
ciao guys

edit on 28-1-2015 by xenoplas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

How do you know he didn't join to kill people because he enjoyed killing? Just asking.

You're the one who made the claim, not I. I'm sure you've been around long enough to know that many people do things, both of us included, for reasons other than those we state.

Patriotism is a nebulous term. Is it patriotic to be gung-ho war/ killing or is it patriotic to be opposed to war/killing? It all depends on one's point of view. Apparently, Kyle stated that he enjoyed killing. Right there, he's stating a motive. Perhaps it wasn't his real motive and perhaps it was. Some people may find enjoying killing patriotic and some may not. Again, personal opinion.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MasterKaman
a reply to: Aliensun

** to become a master of ones art (anything) is the linguistic meaning of "kung fu", but westerners tend to use that term only for "Wu Shu" (martial art). but my friend, do not put the application to "war" aside. which art is it better for your Karma (next life, if not this one) to concentrate on : the Art of Peacemaking, or the Art of Killing ? now think about WHY the snipers pursuits "took its toll on his thoughts about his own family back home" ? i give you the answer, because killing is a final judgement in earth situations - what if you are wrong, and kill the wrong person, is that not murder ? he was excellent marksman no doubt, but remember Muhammed Ali who protested " i dont hate no vietnam man, i aint goin to other side of world to kill nobody". the government wanted to brand him a coward !!! but mr.Ali was world champion not only of Boxing, but of Morality and Common Sense as well - are you ? so you see, the Snipers conscience was warning him : "do you really want to kill ? is that man an enemy of yours ? he has got wife and kids just like you. he is fighting to defend them with LESS weapons than you. is it not cowardice to pick him off at 2000 yards, with no chance of fair fight ? so the Sniper thought and thought, until one day he will collapse with Guilt - or suicide like 40,000 vets who have returned since Nam. do you want to scream on your eventual death-bed as you see visions of women and children burning to death covered in napalm that YOU dropped on them - because you were told to ? only kill if the victim really deserved it, and you got no choice. otherwise beware my friend, what goes around comes around. re-incarnation will get you .... finally, is it wise to "serve ones country", when the government are Criminal Banker Idiots that foreclosed on half million homes, and you spend all day on ats criticising ? remember mr.Ali
goodluck Kaman.

I would argue that, considering what we know about Kyle, he didn't have a conscience. Not having a conscience would almost have to be a requirement to be a good sniper, I should think. The problem he had with dealing with civilian life may have been because he didn't feel comfortable there while he felt entirely comfortable killing.

SEALs are not normal human beings. They are well out of the norm in many ways. Let's not assume that Kyle responded to killing the way most of us would have responded to it. Let's not assume that Kyle responded to a return to civilian life the way most of would have responded to it.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Kyle saw himself as a Christian warrior in a religious war and got off on the killing. Even his companies logo had the Crusaders cross on it.

That is very revealing. Very revealing, indeed.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: Flesh699

Where did he say he loved killing people? I remember him saying he liked killing bad guys...that he wished he'd killed more of them because it would've meant he'd saved more lives...but I don't remember him saying "I like killing people."

If you can source that, I'd be interested to read it. Not at all trolling, simply never seen a quote from him as you're claiming.

Oh, so the "bad guys" aren't people?

posted on Jan, 29 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

What was the wrongdoing that you can pinpoint with Kyle's service? If you ramble on about TPTB and being a puppet for a master and all of that crap, save it. If you have something intelligent to say about it, then by all means, please continue the discussion.

Right, ignore all the points I raised and then act asthough you're an authority on this thread......funny, you're not in the military here son.

The man was a proven liar and yet is heralded as a hero due to his tales, and anybody fighting for anyone else should always be held accountable for their actions. By saying that they shouldn't be held accountable or put under any kind of criticism is part of the problem, and by association, so are you.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join