It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi introduces insane "Dangerous Dogs" bill

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood
I have seen some really nice pit bulls and some dangerous ones.

The bad ones were a product of the owners (my wife's now dead brother used to raise and fight the dogs)

I don't know enough to be an expert on the breed but there does seem to be evidence that the dog overall has tendencies for aggressiveness. That don't mean there can't be some wonderful ones but all it takes is for a couple to go bad to give the whole breed a bad name.

There are no bad dogs, just bad owners..........period.......

I have raised Pits, pinchers, Dobies and Rotties, (few labs too)

Never had an issue.......its all in the owners .....yes some breeds require certain attention in some areas......but thats no different then having a certain horse that has to be trained a certain way.......

Ignorance is the father of idiocy

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Pit bull is mentioned but so is other dangerous breeds. Some people raise these dogs and train them to attack. The dog training is really the problem. I would prefer to own a gun and have a dog that would bark if someone broke into the house.

We have guard cats, when someone comes in they will trip over the eighteen pound cat laying in front of the food disk and we will wake up. The other cats will be mewing looking for a cat treat from the burglars..

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Having lived in MS previously I can attest to the fact that this law and many ordinances like it are barely veiled racism. I had friends who had their dogs put down for not complying with ridiculous rules such as your fence being buried a certain depth etc. The prevailing myth being that the black "thugs" are the only ones who would care for these animals. You have to have lived or visited there to understand. The entire state is a time warp stuck in the 50s in most areas. Literally segregating people with railroad tracks. They create towns with ordinances that wont allow apartment buildings to be erected because the perception is that poor blacks are the only ones who will move into them. The make all businesses in places like the town of Madison conform to the same expensive designs to keep out minority business owners. Place is kind of insane. Plenty of good people there but the entire state is like a giant eugenics program still in action.
edit on 27-1-2015 by NihilistSanta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: NihilistSanta

Lol. Yeah. In Madison every building looks exactly the same. All brick. You don't know if you're walking into a Wendy's or a kinkos.
But even Madison is getting dangerous now.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I have a Blue Pit/Black Labrador Mix, we call her a Pitador, or Pit-a-DORABLE when she's being extra cute.

Point of posting is, the apartment we live in tried to make us get rid of her after two years because she is a "dangerous breed". Went back and forth with them, explaining we have had her for two years, and no one cared until they saw her on morning. Basically broke down to you have a week to get rid of her or you're evicted.

My wife was crying, I was furious. We had spent the last 2 years nursing the poor thing back from a nasty case of misdiagnosed mange and some severe allergies.

So we went through a loop hole and got her registered as an emotional support dog, on account of my wife's anxiety. They were pissed, but couldn't do anything.

Everyone who owns one in Mississippi should do this. $70 bucks is all it takes if you already have some sort of diagnosed disorder, and its an extra like $50 if you don't and they will have a "doctor" write you a note. I hate gaming the system like that, but whatever, I got to keep my pretty girl.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Surely this won't hold up to the first challenge in court.

eta: Have had pit and pit crosses (usually boxer) since I was wee. My kids had a pit/boxer cross but we had to re-home him because poor old Spot couldn't throttle back. He so wanted to play but "rough" was all he could manage. He never hurt either child but he would knock them down by accident and then grieve over it. Never bit. He'd just get so excited by the kids he'd do a ferret dance sort of thing and then bang! one of them would be down and Spot would be all "what did I DO?"

He ended up on a farm where he could run around and not bowl over kids. I still miss old Spot. One day I might get another now that the kids have grown up and will both soon be off to school

etaa: LIved in Brandon on the Rez for a while. Small world.

edit on 27-1-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Institutionalizing racism....

They should also make it illegal to have a bandana in your back pocket. Or to wear khaki dockers with a white t-shirt/tank top/wife beater.

This is the marijuana laws all over again.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
What is the dog fighting problem like in Mississippi?

I agree that this is very poorly written legislation, but dog fighting might be one reason for it.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes. Lots of underground dogfighting. Like I said on page 1 it's very common to ride around and see six or more pit bulls chained up in a yard and they're all covered in scars.
Problem is these really are the best dogs in the world but thug culture is gonna get them eradicated
edit on 27-1-2015 by riffraff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Properly raised and bred pits should be fine, but often a dog fighting operation will hide more than just the dogs in the yard. Sometimes, it hides cock fighting too and other worse things.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Why not have laws that make people take better care of their dogs?
License them.....make sure they get their shots....feed them.....make sure they are not allowed to get loose....don't them them alone with your small children.
NOt everyone should have dogs, or children, or even goldfish.

Not like these two creeps...there is a vid of them somehwere dropping the dog off
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or these disgusting owners
www.abovetopsecret.com...

MAybe this heartless, soulless excuse for a human
www.myfoxdetroit.com...=cfd-1.0

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Pitbulls are a dangerous breed, but this bill is utter crap. It goes against the founding principles of this country.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Are you serious?
The bill allows police to enter your home without a warrant,shoot your dog, and search for whatever they want while they are there. The dog doesn't even have to be a pit bull. It can be a tiny bit pit bull. Which means the cop can say it looked a little bit like a pit bull and do whatever they want.
Your handle is don't tread on me. Ironic.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Seems like a sly way of voiding the 4th Amendment in Mississippi.
There are many dog-related problems, especially for police.
This is not a solution however.
What seems to be lacking is:
Understanding of dog behaviors by police
lack of training in dealing with dogs.
Lack of options to deal with dogs (shoot first is not the solution)

Maybe what they should have are:
Tranquilizer guns standard issue in every car.
Mandatory training in handling unknown animals.
Empathy training for officers to help reduce violent encounters.

Dogs can be trained for violence and bred for the same.
Each breed has it's own characteristic behaviors that are inborn.
I thought police were supposed to be trained observers -
Why is it that so many think a barking dog means they are going to be attacked?
edit on 28-1-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

edit on 1/28/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have several friends back in the U.S. who own Pit Bulls. Every single one of them is well behaved. A dog is really only as violent as the owner teaches them to be, with very few exceptions. Even typically "aggressive" breeds can be gentle as a lamb with the right owner. This law is absolutely insane and shows just how backward the thinking is in that area of the country.

Also, did you know that Pit Bulls aren't even in the top 3 of the "Most Aggressive" dog list?

Here's the three most aggressive breeds in the world:

1: Dachshund
2: Chihuahua
3: Jack Russell Terriers

I suppose the cops ought to be kicking doors in if they suspect you own a wiener dog.

I cannot facepalm hard enough.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Why is it that so many think a barking dog means they are going to be attacked?

It's an affront to their authority. It is a facet of "the situation" that is not "under their control". Thus, it has to be dealt with, immediately.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
that is some crazy solutions to whatever the issues might be.

Legislators spitting out crap like this to make a few ignorant folk that thing dogs become killers all on their own and others that might have suffered from a dog attack feel better will create one hell of mess if passed and when cops entering homes and killing even more dogs because they are not chained inside their own homes, Ok its just says premises, now that would include inside a home so say a cop enters a persons house for some reason as simple as an anonymous call from a concerned citizen (which could be a neighbor that doesn't really like you) and the dog isn't chained inside the house and isn't wearing its collar like I assume most inside dogs don't and barks at the stranger entering their house the cops have a right to kill your dog?

Is that what I am reading?

If so, that is so extreme that it makes ISIS seem less extremist in their way of doing things and terrorizing others.

Some cops are terrorists by what I have seen and read on ATS in the last few years and now it seem laws are trying pass to give terrorism a free ticket to terrorize both guilty and innocent with the innocent having no foot to stand on if such happens to them.

War on drugs,

War on terror,

As of the last few years it seems like a war on dogs and only a few are making progress by having the owners charged if their dog attacks but all dogs guilty and innocent of attacking seem to be shot and killed like its becoming a favourite sport of the authorities.

Scary stuff.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This has been a hot issue recently both no-knock warrants and blatant abuses of power by police regarding dogs. I am reminded of the recent memes floating around depicting mailmen, pizza deliver drivers, etc who come face to face with wild and domesticated dogs on a daily basis and do not have to resort to gun violence in order to maintain control or safety.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: riffraff

I never said this law was a good idea....but that we need laws to make owners more responsible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join