It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egyptian Doctor found guilty of genital mutilation in Egypt, gets all of 2 years in jail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This is beyond the pale. The guy caused the death of a 13 year old girl after performing FGM on her, then gets acquitted. He only gets the two years after widespread justified outrage.

www.bbc.com...

For those who haven't yet heard of the horror that is FGM, here's the link to wikipedia:

en.wikipedia.org...

This is the type of bs that tempts me toward violent thoughts.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: sdubya

Well, this is pretty horrible. It doesn't surprise me as their entire belief system seems barbaric and savage but this is pretty horrible.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

While this is completely horrible and utterly inexcusable in this ones humble opinion it is far from uncommon for children to die from genital mutilation. Here in the USA alone over one hundred neonatal deaths occur annually as either a direct or indirect result of neonatal genital mutilation.

Each year in the United States more than 100 newborn baby boys die as a result of circumcision and circumcision complications. This is the alarming conclusion of a study, published in the journal Thymos, which examined hospital discharge and mortality statistics in order to answer two questions: (1) How many baby boys dies as a result of circumcision in the neonatal period (within 28 days of birth)? (2) Why are so few of these deaths officially recorded as due to circumcision? The study, by researcher Dan Bollinger, concluded that approximately 117 neonatal deaths due directly or indirectly to circumcision occur annually in the United States, or one out of every 77 male neonatal deaths. This compares with 44 neonatal deaths from suffocation, 8 in automobile accidents and 115 from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, all of which losses have aroused deep concern among child health authorities and stimulated special programs to reduce mortality. (Remember those red noses?) Why, the study asks, has the even greater number of deaths from circumcision not aroused the same response?

www.circinfo.org...

Just something to be aware of. For the record I am against all forms of neonatal genital mutilation, ie circumcision.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
But don't worry guys the UN passed a non-binding resolution in 2012 which fixed everything.

www.un.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

While this is completely horrible and utterly inexcusable in this ones humble opinion it is far from uncommon for children to die from genital mutilation. Here in the USA alone over one hundred neonatal deaths occur annually as either a direct or indirect result of neonatal genital mutilation.

Each year in the United States more than 100 newborn baby boys die as a result of circumcision and circumcision complications. This is the alarming conclusion of a study, published in the journal Thymos, which examined hospital discharge and mortality statistics in order to answer two questions: (1) How many baby boys dies as a result of circumcision in the neonatal period (within 28 days of birth)? (2) Why are so few of these deaths officially recorded as due to circumcision? The study, by researcher Dan Bollinger, concluded that approximately 117 neonatal deaths due directly or indirectly to circumcision occur annually in the United States, or one out of every 77 male neonatal deaths. This compares with 44 neonatal deaths from suffocation, 8 in automobile accidents and 115 from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, all of which losses have aroused deep concern among child health authorities and stimulated special programs to reduce mortality. (Remember those red noses?) Why, the study asks, has the even greater number of deaths from circumcision not aroused the same response?

www.circinfo.org...

Just something to be aware of. For the record I am against all forms of neonatal genital mutilation, ie circumcision.

This was a 13 year old girl, not a newborn.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort

Well, this is pretty horrible. It doesn't surprise me as their entire belief system seems barbaric and savage but this is pretty horrible.

Fgm is indeed a terrible thing.
But I have a question please, when you say " their entire belief system seems barbaric and savage ", who's belief system are you referring to ?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: samsamm9

But I have a question please, when you say " their entire belief system seems barbaric and savage ", who's belief system are you referring to ?

Anyone who practices FGM. Why? Who did you think I was referring to? Muslims?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

Yes. I fear you missed my point. I'll let you try and work it out on your own. That's is if you can ignore the "two minutes hate" for long enough to form a cohesive thought.

All forms of genital mutilation are abhorrent. Plus, I have a cousin that was circumsised at age 10. It happens and he was still at risk of dying.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

I don't want to take us too far off topic, but the risks/benefits of male circumcision are pretty fairly balanced:

www.mayoclinic.org...

Let's not hijack the thread =P

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Sir, I name you liar.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Well, your post was pretty vague about it. I wasn't sure if you meant the Egyptian culture or the Muslim culture...

Since you said " their entire belief system ..." It must've been directed to a certain belief system, I would think anyway.

I didn't think you implied "Muslims" unless of course you were ignorant about the sad reality of Fgm.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Egypt is all about FGM, so I'm not surprised.

new topics

top topics

join