It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid that flew past Earth today has moon.!?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBrotherDarkness
"Asteroid 2004 BL86 passed Earth today at 16:19 UTC (11:19 a.m. EST). This "movie" of the asteroid was generated from our radar data. Twenty individual images were used. Radar observations allow scientists to better measure an asteroid's size, rotation and location. As a bonus, radar observations of 2004 BL86 detected a tiny moon orbiting the asteroid." www.nasa.gov...

What say you ATS? Thoughts? Feelings? Concerns? Theories? Conspiracies?

Not on the asteroid but it is worth noting that each time we use the Goldstone or Arecibo planetary radar to take images of these asteroid we are broadcasting the most powerful radio signals Earth creates. We just created a huge "WOW!" signal for an extraterrestrial radio astronomer in the future as these signal are detectable halfway across the galaxy if the aliens had a similar sized collector to Arecibo.

To such aliens:
The signal would be powerful, coming from a star (our Sun) orbited by at least one habitable planet (Earth).

It would be narrowband which would identify it as artificial and not natural.

It would not repeat.

They could search again and again but since the radar isn't always on and even when it is on its beam wouldn't necessarily be pointed their direction they'd have a real mystery similar to this one I detailed here: The New "Wow!" Signal - SETI's Recent Close Encounter With An Unidentified Emission

Food for thought.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
I am slow.

Does this mean it is not really plausable to think we could seperate part of an asteroid and have it go off in another direction based on the direction the force pushes it? Will it just get caught up in the gravity of the rock?

Every object has an escape velocity which varies based on mass/density.

If so then why is there not more than just one piece in orbit with it? This thing could just grow on and on until it consumed all the matter in the universe?

Because space is vast and mostly empty. The chances of this small object accumulating anything in its travels are very small.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Have any of you guys read Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke. Bout earth astronauts landing on a comet or was it an asteroid and discovering an internal planet.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
Have any of you guys read Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke. Bout earth astronauts landing on a comet or was it an asteroid and discovering an internal planet.

Yes. It's a common sci-fi theme.

See also Frederick Pohl's Gateway series.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Maybe it's a spacecraft docking with it. Maybe the asteroid is really a ship too. Or maybe it's just a comet crossing paths with it.

Is this thing actually orbiting the asteroid or just heading toward it? Hard to tell with the looping in the video.

I read in the other thread on fireball predictions that asteroids travel with smaller chunks of debris/smaller asteroids, but this doesn't seem to be traveling with it.

Very interesting stuff.

Maybe a it's a dragon, or maybe it's unicorn, maybe it's a pink pony..

How about it's just a moon ffs?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
I say it was Bruce Willis trying to relive his "Armageddon" days...

That, and that was a cool freakin' clip.

"Yippee ki yay, kimosabe"

Oh sorry wrong movie!

Korg.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Looks like a craft. But, asteroids could be tiny planets too I suppose. In fact Horton Hear's a Who just came to mind.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

I am slow.

Does this mean it is not really plausable to think we could seperate part of an asteroid and have it go off in another direction based on the direction the force pushes it? Will it just get caught up in the gravity of the rock?

Every object has an escape velocity which varies based on mass/density.

If so then why is there not more than just one piece in orbit with it? This thing could just grow on and on until it consumed all the matter in the universe?

Because space is vast and mostly empty. The chances of this small object accumulating anything in its travels are very small.

Thanks. So it seems that the answer is yes but extremely unlikely.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Why does it have to be a moon?

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ziplock9000
Hey, the OP asked for theories ffs.

And aside from that? Doesn't appear that it's a moon at all. In fact, that just might less likely than it being a unicorn.

Way to miss a point.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It was thors hammer and the "moon" was the handle

Maybe

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
It was thors hammer and the "moon" was the handle

Maybe it was a virus
edit on 27-1-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
A Rouge Moon ... that Pretends to be a Comet Asteroid Etc..

The you have Objects Hitting or Near Our SUN close to the size of Our Earth ...

Not Mentioned ....

Besided this

Comet Hits Sun In 'Cosmic Death-Dive' Captured By SOHO Spacecraft Camera (VIDEO)
Space.com | By Mike Wall

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Mysterious planet-sized object spotted near Mercury

news.yahoo.com...

IN The Future Predicts

Small chance a big asteroid could hit Earth in 2032
Arden Dier, Newser 12:06 p.m. EDT October 18, 2013

www.usatoday.com...

Long Shot: Planet Could Hit Earth in Distant Future
www.space.com...

Near-Earth object
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 22015TuesdayfAmerica/Chicago126 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

edit on 22015TuesdayfAmerica/Chicago126 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Seems to me that an object that tiny, could separate from the Asteroid as it orbits the Sun? Maybe, just maybe one day one of these little guys will be thrown in the direction of planet Earth. This is just an assumption of course. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueMessiah
Since when are asteroids accompanied by moons?

It sure would be lonley out there all alone in deep space without one

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I'm no expert, but, usually asteroids are odd shaped. This one is pretty round to be any asteroid. Have you people think in the possibility of this thing being a kind of a dwarf planet in an eccentric orbit? And last, it has a moon? Like I said I'm no expert, but what about the gravity, how big a rock can be to hold whatever by gravity? (unless there is something else in the core) Just thinking.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Here's food for thought, what if the wow we could never locate again was the one we just sent out by your description? It would prove that warping space time is possible... if you yell out across a canyon; you hear you yell it, and the echo of you yelling it but the listening observer doesn't hear you yell anything at all... just the echo, so which wow were we? The one we heard decades ago? or the one we just sent? or both?

This could be calculated... based on when we heard the first wow signal, and when we sent out this wow signal, and the time it would take to get where we think we heard the wow from, and then how long to there, or vice versa. If the numbers calculate out right?

Tres curious.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I am slow.

Does this mean it is not really plausable to think we could seperate part of an asteroid and have it go off in another direction based on the direction the force pushes it? Will it just get caught up in the gravity of the rock? If so then why is there not more than just one piece in orbit with it? This thing could just grow on and on until it consumed all the matter in the universe?

No need to assault yourself to be humble enough to say, you're not quite grasping a concept. Especially when, concepts can form ideas, ideas form ideals, and ideal taken as truth, and truth to an extreme... this is why ignorance can be better than bliss sometimes, so absolutely nothing wrong asking for insight... you take whatever is said, scan it through a self collected bias scanner and see if it matches up tot your current known knowledge.

Problem is, getting stuck in parrot mode, not moving forward, not looking for more answers just accepting this rote knowledge as truth, then there's getting stuck in garbage disposal mode... ball it up throw it away doesn't make a difference to think about in my day to day so crumble and toss. Or sorry system update required... in some fields I have been humbled by flatulating out data over 20 sometimes 30 years old, by not being plugged into that data stream. So it's important that if you are going to talk about something, that the information is up to date and state of the art. Speaking about what one learned in 7th grade science a decade ago, is no longer valid in the field of data for the subject.

Lots of missteps in communication, of data hell even person to person that shared the same moment sometimes... so no biggie or anything in the slightest to beat oneself up over... at east til one knows better, no excuse then... including for personal gain s some use it to simply collect data and not really ignorant as claimed. Discernment, could figure all that sort of thing out, but why bother? personal gain is moot in the larger scheme of things... especially if you want technological progress ... open source and idea's will push us forward in evolution. Closed source is just an economical pause button that increases wealth of a few and allows more time to control technological dissemination.

For example? Open source... you get the whole damn thing at once. Closed source? You get a CD player, then you get a CD writer, then a CD to read and write over and over. Closed source is designed to milk wallets a few times... not exactly ethical but a fundamental pillar of building personal or corporate capital, instead of humanitarian capital across the board.

I got caught up in the gravity of you saying you were slow, and zoomed on by the other bits for awhile, but orbiting back around a solar system macro or micro is not a set number. ie. not every solar system has the same amount of planets, dwarf planets, or exo planetary orbits that scrape through ours. it varies like dust from one persons house to another. The only limits on science are the accepted laws governing them.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Cloudbuster

Do you have a synopsis of the book and how it relates in your opinion or understanding of the topic at hand? Otherwise I am left to assume you are referring to a battle-star galactica type of seek out and colonize bio-dome business, related to the "biological bullet" post and were not just being random, but on topic to another embedded topic. Assumptions are typically an emotional leap just as much as a logical one... and I'd rather not make or incur either.

I authored this to be a multiple topic post centered around the main topic as the point in discussion. So discussing books etc. around the central theme is by no means out of bounds and still on topic... omho.

Unless we get more data, than moon around a comet strutting on by... might as well discuss everything related in the interim, if the subject is one of interest, field or both.

posted on Jan, 28 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ziplock9000

So you go on a forum or discussion board designed for discussion and debate... and try to get people not to discuss or debate a topic. Fascinating...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join